I'm new here and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erland, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm new to these forums and decided to come in and say hi and ask a few questions...

After looking at the forum for a couple of days I have noticed a lot of acronyms and was wondering what they were..

A couple in particular I saw in a post where someone was showing off their transformers..

BT / MP / ALT's

What are these?

Also is there a place I can go to figure out what generation each of my transformers are? I have like 6 shelves full of them and would like to get more information since I had to ditch the packaging long time ago, long story..

Also my brother bought me a G1 Optimus Prime from a comic shop and I wanted to know if there was a way to tell if it was genuine or a KO or reprint or what... any place that shows/tells the differences so I can figure it out?

I couldn't resist putting the stickers on it, it came with all weapons and stickers and it's the first thing I did to it.. no stickers for the trailer as they were already on it.

2. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I think they are BT = Binaltech MP = Masterpiece and ALT= Alternators.

Others may correct me if I am wrong, obviously.

There is a site where you can figure out which toy you have, but I can't remember the name of it, sorry. You could post pics and people will tell you what they are and what to look for to figure out if you have an original, KO or reissue.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The resource section of this very site is a good place to start for IDing your figures. Other than that, try TFU.Info, Transformersland.com, and the TFwiki.

As for reissues and k/o IDing, this might help
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ell-new-ko-reissues-apart-authentic-toys.html

4. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

5. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Welcome to the boards

6. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Or Alt=ok BT=Better MP=Best! Welcome to the boards.

(ps the first reply is accurate :D )

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome.

Also of note- Alt does generally refer to Alternators, but the name is quite similar to the Takara only Alternity line. These were very similar to the Binaltech's, but done on a smaller deluxe scale instead of the 1/24th scale of the BT/Alt toys. Despite the smaller size they were every bit as detailed, perhaps even more detailed (the robots definitely had superior sculpts to at least the early Alt/BT toys).

Edit: For clarity BT and Alt were the same molds (mostly). BT were the Takara versions. These always had full body paint jobs (which almost none of the Hasbro versions had), and the first half or so of the line also featured die-cast metal car bodies. The people who display their toys tend to prefer BT, the people who play with them more tend to prefer Alt because the BT paint can be prone to scratching/chipping if over handled.

9. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Welcome friend!

As far as your 6 shelves of figures you have, take a quick picture of it and I'll bet ya everyone here will identify them faster than what you look them up in the database. :D 

10. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for the warm welcome, I don't have any recent pictures of my shelves due to my office being turned into a storage area so I can't get to them. I've added several and just don't have the ability to get to them to organize them. I have a few older pics but, I should be moving in the next 2 months and when I do I'm trying to setup a light box so when I put them back up I can take pictures of them all and set them up properly.

I want to be able to put them up in sets, G1, Beast Wars, RiD, ect so once I get setup at the new place I'll start posting pictures..

Thank you for all the links I have 12 hours here at work tonight and I'm gonna be using most of it to go through all those links and stuff..