I'm new, best toy for me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fierce Krypton, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Fierce Krypton

Fierce Krypton Member

OK, I am totally new to Transformers. I am a huge Joe fan but have never bought a transformer in my life. I really like toys with lots of articulation and I have never been able to see the articulation from the packaging so I never bought any. If I want my first transformer to have... high articulation, not so bulky that it cant do common poses, cool looking, moderately cheap price tag, and cool one handed weapons, then what TF do I want? thanks guys!

2. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Offhand, without giving it too much thought:

Animated Prowl, Jazz or Swoop.

All really poseable, all deluxes (so, $10 a piece).

Prowl has ninja stars that become his bike's hubcaps, Jazz has nunchakus that become his cars side exhausts, and Swoop has a mace/flail that just sort of sits there when he's in dino mode.

3. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

i'm gonna say animated Jazz. Other's might have a better one, but from what i've heard and seen its an all around great toy.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    For figures you could find at Walmart right now, I'd say Universe Sunstreaker or Sideswipe, the hand weapon's just a pistol but aside from that it meets your criteria.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If you can get ahold of one, a Classics Mirage would be great. He's got some great articulation and is in no way bulky. If you can't find him, than either his Walmart Exclusive Movie Fracture repaint or the Hasbro Toy Shop Exclusive Dragstrip repaint are two other options, as both are the same mold, just different color schemes.

Edit: Meant Dragstrip, not sure why Override came to mind...

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Universe Prowl and Silverstreak, Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are your best bets. All pretty posable.

7. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if you want cheap then you likely have to go with a recent line where you can still find figures at retail price. So, then there’s consideration of aesthetics…some like a more “traditional” look which are Universe or more cartoony look which are Animated. Then you have the 2007 Movie line which are still available retail. For the Movie line, I’d go with Landmine. He a nice vehicle mode (since you are a Joe fan you might like his vehicle mode), cool bot mode and more importantly crazy articulation. He can do a handstand, and kneel on one knee just to name a few poses that require crazy articulation. For the Universe line, there’s not a figure with crazy articulation (at least not at the deluxe price point) but probably Sunstreaker/Sideswipe would be the best of the bunch. And for Animated, Prowl is a nice figure with crazy articulation. If you like the animated look, you may want to wait for Swindle (due out in December). He’s a jeep/hummer type vehicle (again, as a Joe fan you might like that) and looks to have some nice articulation and a BFG. All of these figures recommended are deluxe size so are around $10.

8. defstar

defstar Autobot...

For one you can find on the shelf pretty easy go with Universe Silverbolt all the way...a higher price than average but a really really great figure...simple transformation, poses well and a really solid mold...

9. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

:inquisiti 

Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe definitely have a lot of things going for them, except excellent weapons. Classics Mirage/Wal-Mart Movie Fracture is incredible, but again, nothing spectacular in the weapons department. If you have no issues with the Animated style, Prowl and Jazz would be excellent choices. Movie Landmine and Wreckage are very cool considering they're offscreen characters.

Nobody's yet mentioned (too slow to notice defstar's post, d'oh) a figure larger than Deluxe, so I will: Universe Dropshot. A bit bulkier than the previous suggestions, but he more than makes up for it with excellent and unexpected poseability and an arsenal that puts a HISS tank to shame.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a Joe fan, i'm guessing you'd prefer something on the realistic side: So, another vote for Universe Sideswipe or Sunstreaker.

Probably the only new Deluxe mold on the shelves so far that doesn't suffer from either a suspect looking alt mode, poor paint, or parts popping off.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Fixed it :D 

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

This might seem a bit of a silly question, but does it have to transform? 'Cos the Revoltech non-transforming figures are hella articulated.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Might be an idea if you want to get into Transformers. It's kinda the point, as far as I see it.:p  That and they're not exactly off-the-shelf - you'd actually have to specifically order them online.

I like the idea of Dropshot myself, actually. I've never actually had any version of that mould, but it does look like a fantastic figure, and it should fit in nicely with your existing collection.

14. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    First of all, think again before buying your first Transformers because you will be addicted to it and couldn't pull yourself out as a result.

Ok if you still insist... then it 'd be good if you start with the ones in the market now so you don't pay the outrageous $ for the ones to bid online... btw, since you like articulation; you can certainly skip the ones from past... (the older ones are more expensive since they became impossible to be found at major retail stores) Ok, so I 'd recommend the Universe deluxe series of Prowl or Silversteak; both are my favorite and very articulated.

15. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Even something as small and seemingly unimportant as the fact that you can stow his gun on his back like an actual soldier would with a shoulder strap puts him miles above other Cybertron molds, at the very least. I adore him.

16. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

are you just talking about sticking it in a screw hole^^^^

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Grand Max, fo' sho'

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah. I hope he actually turns up on UK shelves, 'cause I never saw Scattorshot anywhere.

19. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Since you're into Joes, I recommend Animated Prowl and/or Animated Oil Slick, since Joes can ride 'em! :D 

Classics Optimus Prime is also a good choice. Good articulation, cool weapons, and an iconic character.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay: