I'm in HK for 41 days... Secretcode may panic now ;)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Quick post since I'm on a bus, but I just got today:

Renge
    Gabrine
    Those mugen egg things that make a robot that looks like Predaking (Toan help with the names pls)
    Alternity Magnus EHobby exclusive
    Device Label Cheetus (Cheetor to you and me) 2 GB USB memory stick transformer

I spotted sharatang, Razz, Angel Valona and Devil Werkstra but they were all expensive and my parents said I could get a set of two today so I went with the Renge and Gabrine, probably pick up the others later.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Who's Toan?

The mugenbine set is Evobine Mugen Burning.

3. Treadshot A1

Sorry iPad auto correct is a pita sometimes.

Thanks Roan. I think I might just paint another set into Predaking colours, the set looks awesome. The egg idea looks a lot better in person than in pics. I know I wasn't a supporter of this set before, but I quite like the looks of it, and the Predaking homage in gestalt form is so worth it. Let's just hope that my expectations aren't quashed when I open them. ;) 

Oh, and since you seem to be such an expert, whats the individual names? I assume it's something lame like Evobine Frog and Evobine Beetle or something, but it would be cool if they had actual names.

4. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I still havent bought the set yet...
    The names are:

Burning Feather
    Burning Liger
    Burning Rex
    Burning Frog
    Burning Beetle

5. Treadshot A1

Well, those names are less than par as far as Mugenbine goes, i mean, things like Evo Rhinoce and Kaiser Condor actually sound cool, but putting Burning as a prefix doesn't make it sound good at all, it just sounds like something's on fire... :( 

Still, Burning Liger seals the deal for me. I mean, i'm a huge fan of Zoids (Liger Zero Jaegar, anyone?) so that name is perfect for me. Coupled with the fact i just bought a few zoids recently, and it's perfect timing. :D 

6. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    :lol . Well at least its not 'Mugen' because theres already a zoid by that name... I still need to buy the set. *goes onto ebay*

I see the Mugen and Death Emperor sets are on there. But the dude's gouging the prices way too much.

They've been pretty unoriginal with their naming since the the Alphabet series ended. Only exception being the Moebines. It sucks but I guess the kids have a easier time remembering the names?

7. Treadshot A1

Well i built Evobine Mugen Burning, and it's a fucking epic robot. The individual component parts are nothing to scoff at, the engineering that went into these things to make them go from Egg to Little Animal to Big Animal, and then also combine is amazing.

I'll do a quick word review, skipping Egg mode as we all know that off by heart by now: It's an egg on a stand.

Burning Feather: Small bird is an atrocity. Trying to fit all those parts inside and keeping a small overall size just doesn't work. Big bird is great, pulls off a pheonix look very well. I'd argue the 'tail' is slightly too large, but that's a minor gripe. Definitely the strongest mode of all, overall a very strong set. Extra points for hiding the combiner hand very well.

Burning Liger: I'm just going to say "WTF?" to the little lion and move on, since it's face is just so...weird...not cute but not demonic... think a baby with emotionless eyes. The big lion is alright, good use of the parts, overall a decent piece.

Burning Rex: Here i'll start with big T-Rex mode, because it's so darn crap. Just skip this mode. Small Rex looks good, the head reminds me of Blowback Dragon from Yugioh, so extra points there. I'm gonna say overall sub par.

Burning Frog: Little Animal mode...what more is there to say, aside from "Robo Sperm"? Big Frog mode is actually awesome, really good at using the joints, in that the combiner knees actually add to the articulation of the frog. Cannon is a bit oversized, but Frog still sits next to Feather as being a good toy. Points lost for sperm mode being just so disgusting. So glad i don't have the Moebines, but that's a can of worms that i ain't gonna open.

Burning Beetle: Well...um...really not much to say here. Decent set, big beetle is a great mode but the legs have like zero points of articulation, so it's left as a decent set bbut nothing special. Horn is bent a bit too far back, but i'll forgive it as it needs to work for egg mode.

Evobine Mugen Burning: Of all the candy bines i own, this has to be my favorite. Not only is it easy to build, with the eggs making up each limb, but it actually feels the most solid out of them all. The shoulder joints i worry about, due to them being just a peg and socket joint, i see that as being the easiest to loosen with time and play. Extra points for built in ankle articulation, adn the Predaking homage just keeps going, from the awesome sword and huge, strong hands to the animal make-up of the gestalt to the head design which to me invokes the crowned appearance of a king. I also like the elbow joitns, they feel really tough, and add to the blocky-ness of the overall figure, giving it a very imposing silhouette. Definitely worth picking up the set just for this mode, even if you hate the indivdual egg-bines.

EDIT: ROAN SHOULD GET THIS SET, BECAUSE THAT FENCE HE'S ON IS NEEDED ELSEWHERE. ;) 

8. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Nice. STOP TEMPTING MEEEE.

9. Treadshot A1

Day 5 (EDIT: THIS IS DAY 6!!!)

Purchases: Renge, Gabrine, Evobine Mugen Burning, Alternity Magnus EHobby exclusive, Device Label Cheetus (Cheetor to you and me) 2 GB USB memory stick transformer

Hmm, actually am i the only one who is more disgusted by Renge tahn Gabrine? I mean, yes, Gabrine's alt. chest plate is going too far, but aside form that Renge shows a lot more skin than her sister. I think most people are just looking at the chest plates. Gabrine i can stand, her black clothing covers more of her than Renge's white. And Renge's hair is just completely unrealistic, even for japanese anime girls that hair style would require huge amounts of hair gel to keep that shape. Absolutely ridiculous.

The helmets are awesome, though. Totally awesome.

10. Treadshot A1

Day 6 (EDIT: THIS IS DAY 7!!!)
    Purchases: HG 1/144 00 SS/G

Really nothing special today, spent all day setting up my grandma's new tv. Fucking huge tv as well. I get dizzy just watching the thing.

I mainly bought the kit for the two blades on it's knees, if anyone's got some good ideas for colour scheme to paint this guy into that would be great.

11. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Funny, Toan is my son's name :lol  iPad auto correct approved! :thumb 

12. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Treadshot, you have to track down and buy Super Robot Chogokin Alteisen.

13. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

they are quite easy to find in HK, prices between HKD299 to 329.

14. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Anything new is easy to find there.

15. Treadshot A1

Seen 3 shops that carry Alteisen already, gonna pick one up soon.

I just wish I could track down Alternity Starscream.

16. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Are you planning on hitting up the Gundam Expo?

17. Treadshot A1

When, where and how much to get in?

18. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    You WANT that monstrosity?

19. Treadshot A1

I'm making Alternity Stunticons and I think that car mode would work great for Drag strip.

Current plans are as follows:

Dead End: Cliffjumper repaint plus new head.
    Breakdown: eHobby Magnus white Nissan repaint.
    Wildrider: Black Convoy repaint.
    Dragstrip: SS repaint

I haven't figured out MM yet. They also probably won't combine, the weight is just too much. Might make them interchangeable with the Menasor I already built, though, who knows?

20. Treadshot A1

Day 7 (EDIT: THIS IS DAY 8!!!)

Purchases: Sidearm Sideswipe

Other: Geez, what a boring day, my dad's sick and lost half his voice, can't go anywhere today. Only barely managed to grab a SA SS (heh, cool acronym; sass :lol  ).

Honestly, at first i thought the figure was a piece of crap. Compared to normal Sideswipe, the proportions are way off, it's the most pinhead deluxe ever and the car mode is flimsy as all heck. Plus i don't like the cheat aspect of it. I expected fold out guns a la Night Slash Cheetor's swords or ROTF Mindwipe's blades. Instead, i get to pop off two guns from the figure's back which he then holds so tightly it feels like the guns will break soon. I did manage to find a way to let him rollerblade, though, by spinning his ankles 180 and then folding in the (now in front) heel blade. Not perfect, but it's the best i can do with this piece of crap. I got it on discount, and i still regret it. F*** you Hasbro, releasing such an atrocious piece of junk under the name Sideswipe.

Now that i've played with it for a while, it's better. To quote Family Guy: "...i'm sure if we fixed it up a bit, it could be a piece of crap". It's below sub-par. It's below crap. It's almost at Broadside level, especially when you consider the other incarnations of Sideswipe. Don't buy this piece of junk. Even if you're a kitbasher, which is usually the saving grace for a lot of crap figures, this guy ain't worth it. His guns are nowhere near must haves, he should be avoided at all costs.