I'm... I'm Unemployed?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As a bit of background, I'm a teacher for a local community college. I've been teaching since 2001, around 47 weeks a year (48 this year). Not only do I love my job, I'm one of the highest rated instructors in my department in the course feedback forms, I'm also popular with student teachers who need contact teacher hours for certification (I had two last semester). I'm also in charge of my discipline; the other teachers are under me.

I just got the call that due to an incident involving another teacher (not one of mine), the facility I teach out of has terminated their contract with the college as of today. The college is currently renovating their Sports and Expo Center where I'm supposed to eventually be transfered to, but it won't be done until late February. This means that for the Winter Semester (starting Jan 8 for me), all fitness classes have been cancelled due to a lack of facilities. I've got to come in next week and make sure my course equipment gets noted for transfer out of the facility.

This. This sucks. Supposedly this summer classes will resume on campus, but who knows. Merry Christmas to me. Guess I'll need to find something in January to fill in for the lost income.

Sorry for the emo-ness of the post, I just, I don't know, had to vent. I have a feeling that I'm going to be depressed for a few days. I already don't feel like doing what I was planning on doing today.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Get with the local school district and see about doing sub teaching until that other thing opens up. :) 

Chuck

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

im kick sub aid

4. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

Er.....you're only 'unemployed' for a short time. Be happy you have a job you can eventually go back to while other people (*ahem*) were laid off of our long serving jobs and don't have money to buy anything for Christmas because we need to spend it on food, rent and laundry. I'm sure you can afford to buy things for Christmas since this just happened to you. I don't even have a tree up. Not even stockings. Nothing.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry to hear that, but at least you will be able to come back to teach for the summer classes right? That's not all that bad.

But like Cavshock said... try and see about being a substitute teacher or something within that nature.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully things work out soon for you.

7. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

And Internet.

Chuck

8. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

We're pretty much in the same boat

9. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

I used to work at a call center taking payments from Boost Mobile customers and when the economy hit the crapper the calls dropped dramaticly. When I first started there the calls were always one after the other, the economy caused the calls to come in at a rate of 1 every 5-10 minutes. It got so bad that management decided to let a little over half the people go. So since last February, I've been dangling on unemployment. So your damned lucky that you have a job to got back to in a few months.

10. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    Agreed with 100% be happy you've been working this long and know you will be working at the same job again. Your Christmas is still better then all the other people who were laid off and can't find work.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    ouch that sucks is there any way you can file for unemployment until the other place opens up and you get back to work? and don't let this dampen your holiday spirit,enjoy your holidays then deal with it as you must

12. Elita_One

Yep, same situation with me (not the job type, just the unemployment time). I've been trying like crazy to get work and it's hard to find it in this town. My husband still works there and he makes awesome money but we have a lot of bills to pay so it's one of those 'just getting by' phases and I get my unemplyment money but it's FAR less than what I was making. Like, $500 less. My rent is $1225 and I am getting just under $800 per pay. I have 4 pets to take care of, groceries, laundry, an $8000 Visa bill.....and those are just my bills. Hubby has bills of his own. We made excellent money when we both worked there and I was able to buy a shitload of things on ebay and not have to worry about being able to pay rent. This year is the year I am actually relieved I don't have kids yet because I wouldn't have a clue where I would get money to buy them gifts and I refuse to let my kids EVER miss out on Christmas.

Through it all, I still don't let it get me down. Times are tough but whatever, I always think of it as being a big rough spot with an awesome happy ending. Gotta live through the bad if you wanna get the good.

Not trying to make the OP feel like crap or anything, just wanted to point out that you are FAR luckier than a lot of us and you should be grateful, not depressed, that you can at least have a Christmas. I don't ask for sympathy because this is life, I gotta live it, but I kinda cringe sometimes reading how people get all down and out when their life isn't half as bad as others but the rest of us manage to smile.

13. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love you.

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My mom has been unemployed for a year. She needs surgery on her heart, and her unemployment benefits are about to run out.

15. Elita_One

^ That's horrible!

Through the mess, I got kinda lucky in a way because if I had gotten unemployment right away, it would have been ending in February but I got a big payout from my company so I used that for groceries and whatever while I looked for work. In March, my cat got sick and I decided to hold off on work and take care of her. I ended up having to spend most of my payout on her meds and surgery and then in June, her paw print and cremation. I started my unemployment in June so I can at least be comfortable with it and have lots of time left to look for work.

Oh man, I hope I find work soon.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that, Pravus. Sounds like they didn't give you time to prepare yourself. I hope your position at work will not change drastically next year. Take care.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the sort of situation unemployment benefits were designed for. Apply now, and get the ball rolling. It can take a few weeks to get the ball rolling.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Bummer. Least you won't be unemployed for too long!

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Substitute teaching isn't all that great down here.
    it's like a per diem, as we need someone deal.

but, the perk might be with the credentials, you could have a new job offer.
    doubt it pays on the collegiate level, but it pays bills.

I wish you a fast recovery and a good spirit about this.