I'm having some trouble with my pets.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pepsiman98, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

a few months back my jack russels started to try and murder my cat in the garage. they have done this to him multiple times now and now they've gone off and attacked my indoor cat. they gave him a partially broken rib and some puncter wounds and a big hole on his stomach. does anybody
    know something i can do?

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Get rid of em

3. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like you're gonna have to, the dog seems is overprotective of his territory.

4. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    jeebus I hate to agree with the poeple above me but I have to cause who know what will happen if the dog attacks a human instead of a cat or you

5. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What he said.^

If they attack your cat out of being overprotective, then it's only a matter of time before they attack people and then become vicious dogs.:( 

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, Jack Russells are extremely protective and self dogs. First it is cats and others animals then it is people. Call the Dog Whisper lol.

7. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

It sounds like they aren't getting enough exercise and aren't being corrected when they start to hunt down your cat. You need to watch the dog whisperer. Jack russels were originally bred to hunt rats and they are damn smart. They need to be corrected as soon as they start that behavior. If they aren't fixed get them spayed or neutered. For males this will take out some of the aggression. They need consistent walking playing. Do you have an exercise routine for them? If not they might be bored! The cat is just something to do..

8. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Try to keep them all separated until you figure out what you plan on doing. Restrict them into separate rooms when you're away. Or use kennels. I hope you took your cat to a vet. It sounds like it since you know there's a hole in his/her stomach. I suggest you to get some advice from an animal behaviorist. Jack Russels are super active dogs. I find it funny that people who live in city apartments tend to keep them thinking they don't need much room cause they are small dogs. A lot of them end up with behavioral rooms due to lack of exercise. Actually, the nicest JRs I met lived on farms cause they are constantly doing stuff outdoors.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This.

I agree with the bored part. If they were serious, the cat would've been dead long ago.
    They're all family though, so I hope you're able to train them a bit more so you don't have to get rid of the cat or dogs.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Huh, I've never heard of a Jack Russel getting that aggressive. We've owned two before (still have the one). We had the older one when my sister still lived here and had her two cats. He would keep them in line, but never really attacked them. Though he wasn't a pure breed JR, and had some Border Collie and what my grandfather called "Black-faced Mountain Sissel", so being a mut could have mellowed him out. The younger one (the one that's still alive) is, as far as we can tell, a pure breed. He's always been really timid, though I think having an older dog around could have mellowed him out a bit. As calm and timid as he was then, after the older one died, he got even more timid. Couldn't even be in the same room as my father for at least a month (well, he did see my father carry Scrappy's body out of the house). Doubt any of that his helpful, but figured I'd share my own personal experience with the breed. Could be a combination of several different factors, like age, personality, how long they've known the cats, etc...

On a side note, they've actually changed the name of the breed for dog shows and such to Parson Russel Terrier. Makes absolutely no sense to me, tbh.

11. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uh that is Stains from an episode of It's Me or The Dog.. Different trainer.

Still hilarious though..

13. BubbleTeaQueen

BubbleTeaQueen Member

First off, if you live in a small house, chances might increase for controlling territory and your dogs nixing your beloved kitty.

Second, call a trainer. Failing that, take them to the vet to see if there's some control medication out there. I might come off as cynical, but I have raised animals for 15 years and it's not funny when something horrible could've been prevented.

14. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know that,but Stains just makes everything better ;)