I'm having a problem with an ebay BIN auction...

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Razorclaw, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I bought Uni. Cyclonus, Hound and Starscream through a BIN auction on 11th of January. The problem is, apparently the seller had a death in his family, of which he notified me after 2 weeks, and only after I sent him an ebay message asking did he sent them out. (I was at the post office this monday to check if something arrived for me)

I felt really dissapointed (I was really looking forward to these figure), so I replied to him, asking for him to send them out by the end of this week, or I will start a dispute and ask for refund, apologizing in advance if he got offended by the tone of the message. This might seem harsh to some people here, but 2 days after the auction's end, I asked him to send me a tracking number, which he didn't do.

I didn't want to press the issue at the time, because it is of a limited use for me (it can only tell when it shipped out to my country, and it's useless when it comes to checking what is going on when it arrives to my country), but still it's somewhat reassuring to have it. Let's you know that the seller is serious.

Anyway, I also read alot from people here, that they were conned by people stating they had a death in their families, and finding other excuses for not sending their items.

Also I checked his listings before posting the message to him, and apparently he had another auction the ended before I bought mine, that had the same items with the same pictures in the thread. That also put some doubts into my mind.

Apparently he sent the items 2 days ago, and said he'll sent me tracking information (I also asked for a scan of the receipt they give you in the post office) by the evening. That was yesterday, and still nothing. No tracking number, no receipt scan.

I'm off a mind to wait until the tomorrow, and if by tomorrow afternoon, I don't get what I need, I'll start a dispute.

I want to know should I proceed the way I initialy wanted? What do others suggest I should do? Should I start a dispute with ebay or go straight to paypal?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You told him you'd start a dispute by the end of the week, so do so. Yes, a death in the family is unpleasant, but it doesn't stop you taking half an hour to nip to the post office.

3. Razorclaw

Yesterday he said he sent them two days ago, and that he will send me tracking info when he gets back home that evening (last night). Just to clarify some things.

I intend to to send him another message, asking him to send me tracking number and a scan of the PO receipt to my email, again. I did that yesterday after reading his message I mentioned.

If I don't get the stuff I asked tomorrow, I'll start a dispute without prior notification on his part.

Now the question is, do I do it over ebay, or go directly to paypal?

What is the procedure, and what information will have to be supplied to proper authorities?

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I would follow the advice that was given to you in the other 2 threads you started about problems with a seller.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-ebay/193147-ebay-seller-transfan_76-a.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-ebay/186728-im-having-problem-ebay-seller.html

But to answer your question:
    If you open the dispute in ebay, it will take you to paypal to finish the dispute process. You initiate an item not received dispute, then the seller has 20 days to respond with tracking numbers. If they don't respond, you can escalate the dispute into a claim, and let paypal decide the outcome. Repeat this process for future problems with sellers.

5. Razorclaw

Thank, that's what I needed.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

No problem bro!

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's odd how many people on eBay have a sudden "death in the family". I've gotten that excuse three times so far when I've asked why shipping is taking so long, and I really don't buy that much on eBay.

What a shitty thing to use as a lie.

8. Razorclaw

This is the first time for me, to not have my items shipped out in a few days from the end of the auction.

And in the end, even if I get my money back, I'll be in a loss. I mean, it will take a month at best for me to get my money back, and another 2-3 weeks to buy the figures again, and have them shipped to me.

The best thing for me right now is for him to send the items to me. We shall see how the events unfold.

9. Razorclaw

The latest scoop is - I started a dispute. After several emails and 4 days, he didn't give me a tracking number or the scan of the postal receipt.

Here's what's going in the resolution center so far:

seller:

I posted tracking information earlier this week. I will re-post tracking information for the Buyer.Without getting "personal" I offered the Buyer a refund and he said he would have rather had the items. I had a close personal death in the family and the Buyer said he really didn't care about it. He stated that I was lying to him and he wanted the items. Now he has been harrassing me for scans of the postal receipt and customs form. I will be more than happy to supply scans of both of these items to Paypal but not the Buyer. I am going to be so happy when the Buyer gets these Transformers.

me:

The seller stated he supplied the tracking information. To whom and where? I haven't received any messages from the seller with tracking information.

I don't see how asking for tracking information and the scans of the postal receipt and the customs form is classified as harrassing.Sending the things I asked for would take a few minutes of the seller's time. Instead, after telling me that he sent the items out a day earlier (he made this statement to me on January 29th), he chose to ignore my every subsequent message in which I asked him of the tracking information and the scan of the postal receipt.

I ask again for the seller to send me tracking information and the scans of the postal receipt and the customs form to the email I previously supplied him.I won an auction from this seller on January 11th. I asked him a few days later to send me a tracking number which he didn't do. I waited 2 weeks for the items from the auction to arrive, after which I asked the seller when did he shipped them out. He answered he had a death in the family, and he'll ship them out when HE HAS TIME, which wasn't reassuring when his expediency in answering my messages is taken into consideration.

I paid for the auction on time, and apart from the seller's word I have no other assurances that my items where shipped out to me.

10. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds fishy to me , how was thise guys feedback ? With the way ebay is these days with all the lowlife sellers on there , its best to stay away from any seller that has Negative feedback from bad sales... I have had the family death excuse used on me many times..
    Keep up on the claims with this guy till you either get your figures or your money and save all your emails you get from him, chances are if he is lying ,he will slip up and tell you 2 different things in one of them..
    Good luck :) 

11. Razorclaw

He's feedback is fine, 98.9% positive.

The thing is, had he given me the tracking number and the scan of the postal receipt, I wouldn't have started a claim. And I still don't understand why he won't supply me with that tracking info.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Err... 98.9% isn't fine. Especially when you keep in mind that depending on the overall number of transactions, it's most likely higher in reality.

98.9% on a person with 20 feedbacks is reasonable, because one or two auctions are enough to damage your feedback. (And most likely due to a really crappy buyer.)

98.9% on a person with 2000 (or whatever) feedbacks is getting into dangerous territory. Sure, the positives (in terms of numbers) far outweigh the negatives, but those negatives are usually clumped together in the same week/month and they're usually pretty bad. Plus, those negatives could easily run into double, sometimes even triple digits.

Granted, you most likely will end up getting what you paid for if their feedback is large enough to make the negatives look like a drop in the bucket. But I have a feeling that won't be the case this time.

Instead of a miscommunication creating a problem (which is understandable and easily forgiven), thus calling for a negative (because buyers can be pricks)...you end up reading things like "Item never came, fraudulent seller! BEWARE!" (and no response from the seller.) Or my personal favorite "Nothing sent, no communication, no tracking, been almost two months!" followed up by the seller with "I sent u the # u luser! Lier! You're just a fukin' jurk!" etc... and you can easily see why those negatives piled up quickly.

My guess is he's a con artist, but does just enough on the up and up to keep his head above water. And when he does cash in on the fraud, I'll bet he makes a pretty penny out of it.

Yeah, use PayPal to crush him into the pavement. If he's telling the truth, it's a difficult time, and it's understandable that he's having problems, and it's hard to get tough in a situation like that. However, other business have postponed their daily duties when laying someone to rest, but they come right back in service the next day, or the day after. They have to. They realize they have to push through due to their commitments.

This guy (if he's telling the truth) is really no different. All the sellers use the scare tactic of "bidding is a binding legal contract" blah blah blah, well...so is having the customer pay for your product/service. You're legally binded to make sure you deliver your end as well, and this guy is no exception.

I'm hoping he made it up in a way, because I'll feel better about making this post, simply because he's not grieving, and no one actually died. On the other hand, I'm hoping he's telling the truth, because that means he actually did get up off of his butt and got the job done.

Good luck, keep us updated!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. Razorclaw

He updated with a tracking number which does show he sent a package on 29th of January which is in acceptance. What does this mean?

He didn't send me a scan of the postal receipt and the customs form. I may be a bit paranoid, but I did reply with this:

Tracking number is all fine and dandy. I'm sorry for being suspicious, but the tracking number alone is no guarantee that he did sent me the items I bought from him, and not an empty box, or that the tracking number is from the shipment sent to me. So I ask the seller again, to send me scans of the postal receipt and the customs form. From these two things it can clearly be seen that the shipment has been sent to me, as it will have my name and address on it.I really don't see a reason why seller won't do this.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Over here, acceptance usually means it's been given to the postal service and they have accepted it for shipping. I would imagine it means the same there.

15. Razorclaw

LOL just look at his latest message:

I will send a picture of the receipt if you close the dispute because you will have everything you need. I've been on Ebay since 1999 and have NEVER dealt with a Buyer like you. If you decide not to close the dispute I will just email Paypal with the copies and they'll confirm the items are on the way to you. They will then close the dispute. You are the second International Buyer to "try to screw me over" by getting a refund AND items. It won't happen.Or just escalate it to a claim and see what happens......Paypal will close it. Don't believe me? Then try it out.

This stinks to high heavens. I will certainly not be closing the dispute unless I either get a refund or my items.

What do you people think on how should I proceed further and how should I reply to this message?

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Do not close the dispute.

I would escalate it to a claim in the next week or so because it took 3 weeks to even ship the items.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's shifty as hell - he'll show Paypal recipts but not you unless you close the dispute? I would send paypal a copy of that email right now. Whatever you do, don't close it.

18. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly send them a copy of this email right now, this way they know what he is trying to pull.. Like you said , there is no reason in the world why he should not send you pics of the receipt and customs form, unless he dont have them. He is pretty much threatening you with the receipts so Paypal should find that interesting and i would ask paypal to have them tell him to send you the pics. Dont close your claim..

19. Razorclaw

That last message wasn't sent by an email, he posted it on the resolution center page, on paypal. I think I'll let him stew a bit.

I knew that when I start a dispute it will have to close with me getting my stuff or my money, as there will not be another chance. Once the dispute is closed, there is no turning back, you can't start another dispute for the same item.

20. Razorclaw

How do I send the a copy of the message to paypal? I checked the resolution center page, there are no such options to send paypal staff anything. Just a form to post messages.