I'm having a Dilemma and need some advice (TF toy related)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sunstorm9119, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    As it stands right now, there is absolutely NO room in the house for my collection. Hasn't been since the family moved here. So since 2007 my entire collection has been in storage in our shed. Now since then I have added some great things to it (City Commander, Protector, CCC), plus anything CHUG I could get. My problem is this:

Is there any point in collecting if all I'm gonna do is just keep them in storage? We've discussed either moving to, or having our house rebuilt to give us some more space, but none of it will be apportioned to my TF collection. I'm just wondering if I should sell the whole thing and be done with the toys? (I know this is a bit like a sheep asking a wolf what he wants for dinner, but still..)

It's not that I don't like the toys, it's just that I haven't anywhere to put them where they can be enjoyed by me or the boys, and that's not gonna change any time soon.....

Thoughts?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Sell off some stuff which you don't really like, to make more space. However, if you don't want to, an you keep your toys in storage, leave your favourite toys out on display. You can always open up the boxes later and play with them. Just don't tape up the box(es).

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Most of my collection isn't on display, either...but I always have a few around to fiddle with. I assume the same could be said for you, too. So Thenames9 is right...sell off any you don't like.

And try - really try - to get your collection out of the shed. Even if they're in boxes in a closet or your basement or whatever, they'll be safer and stay in better condition. The temperature and humidity just isn't steady enough to keep things you want to preserve.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Don't loose motivation with what you love simply because you can't put it out on display. Do you have a home office which you could decorate with some of your favorite figures while leaving the rest in storage until you can get more space?

5. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Thanks for the responses guys! Sadly, there is no space at all for ANY of the collection. At least no somewhere that the dogs, or the boys can't get into. (and the ones I'd want to diplay are ones I wouldn't want them touching).

The fact they are in a shed is one of the main reasons I've considered selling them, since for the most part there haven't been any problem (my G1 Jetfire got yellowed though), I'm not gonna hold my breath and hope nothing ever happens.

My entire Motivation for collecting is to have them so I can enjoy messing around with them, and it don't look like that's ever gonna happen again.

Let me give you an idea of what happens when I get a new TF- I take it out of it's plastic prison, mess with it for a day or 4 and then it's off to the Rubbermaid prison with the rest. I'm just starting to feel like I'm keeping them from someone who can appreciate them. Kinda like in "Toy Story 2", where they can be loved by children and maybe destroyed, or be behind glass and live forever, except in my case the TF will pretty much never be seen by anyone, not even me......

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Tap your walls for studs, above the reach of children and animals. Then build shelves around your room with planks of wood. Then put the figures that you love the most on the shelves, you don't have to have them all on display.

7. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    HAHA, that funny cause I'm almost there too.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly if you guys have discussed moving or rebuilding and are not even considering setting aside any room for a collection then you either will have to get use to everything permanently being in storage or selling it.

And yes, get those things out of the shed!

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, it is a house, there is room somewhere, if you're building on,try to add somewhere for your collection, be it a walk in closet or something,

10. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    That's the problem I'm having. The attitude is "ya really don't need space for a bunch of toys anyway"

That or "Just let the Boys play with them" :eek: 

I got spoiled back in Pittsburgh...I had a room for my collection, and going from a 3 BR house to a Single-wide is a bit tricky. When discussing adding a room or 2, whenever I mention "I can put my toys in there" I get a look like suddenly I turned into a Wookiee or something. Sadly as long as we're staying with my Mother-in-Law we're gonna have these issues. Sadly finding a place of our own isn't an option untill one (or Both) of us can make a lot more $$. And the MIL doesn't want me putting holes in the walls, or I would've put up shelves years ago......

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    You could give them to me for free. :p 

But seriously i do what ever has said so far.

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

To each his own,but if I didn't have the space to display them I would probably sell my collection.I just can't see spending all that money to have them sit in storage,but again,that's just me.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    My wife had that attitude. We're divorced now.

Not over toys, but just the incompatible personalities. The fact I wanted to display toys and she didn't just showed the deeper issues of having completely different tastes.

**EDIT** I don't know where that last paragraph came from. It wasn't in the post I clicked, and it's still not there, but it shows up in my post. Weird. Anyway, now that I have more info, my post may not be helping. I was just trying to say toys may be the least of the problem. Now I see that it's not a relationship issue, but a temporary living arrangement issue. Sounds like she didn't have a problem with it before.

Have you considered renting a climate controlled storage unit? You might be able to find one for around $20 a month and it's a safe place to store 'em until your situation changes.

14. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I would get them out of the shed for sure bro.

15. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    It seems I should explain:

The toys aren't just sitting in a shed. The loose ones are in ziplock bags along with accessories and paperwork, and those are in giant Rubbermaid containers. So they are well protected from the elements. The only things that ever got damaged being in there are some Animated Leader boxes (Bulkhead, Megatron) that got faded by sunlight. The ones still MIB are in Rubbermaid containers as well. So unless a Hurricane hits near here, the toys are as safe as I can make them.....

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I like this idea, but seriously. There's always room. Just align your entire house with shelves & you'll be good. Heck, even one room should work fine, as most of the toys are small & won't take up room. They really only take up room if you've got them all on the floor/on tables/in storage/etc.

Finding room for a life size Batmobile could be an issue, but not a few boxes of transformers.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Truthfully?

No, IMHO.

Especially if the prospect of EVER being able to display them all is remote... I had something similar (not quite the same situation) and sold off lots... it felt good. Don't miss it. My G1 toy collection - all on display - looks better than ever, in all its glory, I have a lot more money as a result...

Boxes of cheap plastic that are never going to be touched, enjoyed or looked at does not a collection make.

18. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    How about you get some old fashined storage bins. I don't know if they make ones with a lock to keep the kids out. But that might work I have 4 of them that have a 3 drawers now 4 seprate draw bins. Just find a wall and put them there. Keeps them away from everything dirt, pets, the works.

19. C0urtn33ch405

C0urtn33ch405 Banned

News Credits:
    Loft/attic conversion maybe? x

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Alternatives exist to putting up shelves with nails. I know there are options out there to put up shelves with supports that simply adhere to the walls and leave no marks and can be reused. There's probably a weight limit for those things, but for display of a few figures they would probably be ideal. You can choose the height, so you can make sure they stay out of reach from the dogs or kids.

However, since it sounds like you and your wife are having money problems, I would also suggest selling off the figures that you no longer want and/or could aquire easily if you wanted to in future, better times. That's a little more money in you pocket and a fewer amount of figures to worry about.