I'm happy with the character death (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by dunerunner123, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

Okay if you are a major breakdown fan in any way, i recommend that you don't read this, in case you get offended at all. So recently what I have been seeing on the boards is a lot of hate for Airachnid and a lot of crying for breakdown after his death. First off i don't hate breakdown just to make that clear. Now i don't know about most of you but honestly i don't think breakdown was that great of a character. i mean he was a good counterpart to bulkhead during fights, and the episode with mech gave him some good development. but after that we didn't really see much else of him. his personality is pretty much the same as any generic decepticon we have seen, just a big guy who works for Megatron and can fight. We also weren't given back story from him, all we know is that he has done "bad things" hell all decepticons have done bad things, i don't see what makes him that much different from the rest. in fact all we have seen him do recently is pick up some weapon or device with knockout before driving through the ground bridge or fight with bulkhead, again and again. now I actually suspected him to side with Starscream eventually but it seems that the writers dropped that idea, this pretty much makes his future in the show really pointless so when they needed to kill off a character, they picked the most boring one. and at least his death has meaning unlike terrorsaur and scorponoks in beast wars. now this is my opinion on the subject, i'm just wondering if i am the only one who thinks this and by the way yes, i am a fan of airachnid, i am a fan of sentinel prime even when he killed movie ironhide, and i don't whine whenever a character dies in any fiction.

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Okay.

*Leaves thread*

3. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    While Breakdown was a fav of mine, his death was handled pretty well. While we certainly shouldn't just kill off characters because "it's realistic", BD's death was a shocker, and further established Airachnid as a stone cold killer. I just hope we get to explore the implications of his death with Bulkhead and Knockout, so that it seems less meaningless.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

On the same vein, Airachinid is literally nothing more than a generic serial killer, Hell, she's almost a gender-flipped DOTM-Laserbeak. You can even see, once she has no opportunity to be a serial killer [i.e when she became a 'Con], her character becomes more bland than Shia Labeaouf.

Breakdown was far more than a generic thug, he had a code of honor: For one, he was loyal to Megatron [unlike everyone else but Soundwave], refused to kill Bulkhead out of grattitude [something that neither of his fellow 'Cons would have done] and you know what else? He was a pretty nice guy to his fellow 'Cons too, such as the moment where he says "the Vehicon" [who is actually Fowler] is doing a thankless job, and tells him to keep up the good work, also his interactions with...everyone else, he talks to Starscream with utter respect in Operation Breakdown, same goes for Megatron and Knockout. He is an asshole to the Autobots, but on the same coin, Bulkhead is an asshole to 'Cons while being nice to the Autobots.

It's also important they made him an Anti-Villain without making him the NOBLEST OF THE NOBLES [like Dreadwing, who is shoving down our throats that he's a good guy in the bad side, next thing he'll be feeding oprhans to make it even more goddamn obvious], he's still an asshole, but he has his principles. See, that's a deep character.

Do you have any idea of how much character the things I described could have developed? Maybe Starscream asking for his favor, and Breakdown having do decide whether he should honour his duty with the 'Cons or Starscream, and if he goes with Starscream, how would Knockout react? That's enough for a five-episodes arc for Christ's sake. How can you call him boring?

My beef with Airachinid isn't the fact she killed Breakdown [Sentinel and Ironhide were both awesome] but with the way the writers decided to kill him off, he basically served as a ladder to Silas and Airachinid and nothing else. To Airachinid because the episode tried to hammer in our heads that AIRACHINID HAZ SUPER KOOL POWERS AND IZ AWEZOME [out of the fucking nowhere link with Insectincons, luring Megatron to a trap with perfection, almost killing Arcee for the uptenth time, killing Breakdown in a way that made no sense at all] and to Silas because we spent one goddamn season and a half with that Project Chimera bullshit so everything could end up on Silas becoming a robot. Airachinid became a Villanous Sue and Silas had a heavy-duty Villain Decay. Which means his death actually made the show worse.

They basically killed him to show that Airachinid is awesome [hence, Creator's Pet] and to put forward a plot that could be solved in a thousand different ways without having to waste your best character.

/end rant

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I've accepted it and movied on. :rip  Breakdown I liked you and you will be missed.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it is still unclear if the AUtobots know about Breakddown's death

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Breakdown's death left plot points hanging. You don't just forgive something that idiotic.

8. Deltus

Deltus 異種

I was Wondering about that too. Probably not since Bulkhead would have probably said something about it.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Breakdown's death signifies a stupid thing that lots and lots of writers do (I see it A LOT in comics) that always, always bugs me. They sacrificed one character's integrity for the sake of another, and that's just terrible. The only reason Breakdown, an actual halfway-developed character, died was so that they could have a shock moment that made Airachnid look better and give MECH a macguffin. Yet Breakdown's death meant nothing to Breakdown himself. It didn't even have the saving grace of being an ironic death. His story just gets tossed out. That is just wrong.

And this.

10. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

breakdowns death did mean something...we get Silas-bot...who will battle Jack-bot...

11. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Your opinion is inferior.

12. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

It's not about meaning something, it's the fact that he died a stepping stone for other characters while he himself is tossed aside as a character, which is a cheap cop-out in terms of story telling. Plus, it's just downright degrading to be someone else's puppet, especially a Transformer to a human.

13. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

inferior? BD's death leads the story further .. without his death we dont get Silas bot. Plot development...

14. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Silas is inferior as a villain.

15. Puck Hockey

Plot development is the problem with this show. They make the characters do out of character things for the sake of plot. Like Optimus losing to a fake Optimus with significantly less experience (and limited experience piloting a robot to fight like that).

16. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

Silas is more evil than megatron in a lot of ways....Megs would never take pieces off of an autobot ..

17. Puck Hockey

Megatron took Bee's voice box.

Silas and Airachnid are terrible villains because of how much plot-power they have. There is no way humans can scan a robot once and make an exact replica of a complex, living being who's moving pieces would make Leonardo DaVinci puke. Airachnid's web is just so stupidly overpowered and the plot is so flimsy and inconsistent she can get away until the writer's feel like doing something for the hell of it again.

18. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Silas-bot could have been his mind in Nemesis Prime's body.

19. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wanted this.

Which only makes Breakdown's death even more pointless.

20. Deltus

Deltus 異種

Jack bot?

[​IMG]