I'm going to replace some words

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Rexidus, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've decided that for my own comfort, when I read the comics I'm going to mentally replace the word "million" with "thousand". A million years is so drastically long a time that I cannot believe they throw it around so haphazardly. Civilations rise, fall, and fade on that time scale. Also it makes character growth seem impossible. "I've been a Decepitcon for millions of years and done a lot of awful things but now it's time for a change".

2. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, I was thinking that myself. It's almost as if we had a period before the war where characters gained their quirks and idiosyncracies, then they stayed exactly the same way for 4 million years until they arrived on Earth, and now that the war is over they're all changing again. It doesn't work for me at all. It also bugs me that they can with almost perfect recall remember stuff that happened that long ago with no corruption or anything.

So yes, I think I'll do the same. It still makes them an ancient long lived race that's been at war for a stupendiously long time, but it's a lot easier to swallow. It's not the current writers fault, they've been stuck with that arbitary figure for ages.

3. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I have to agree with this 100%. The original writers completely overlooked the scale of such a timeframe. Heck, I could even be just as comfortable operating off of centuries as well.

I'm going to apply this to all Transformers media dealing with that ridiculous timeframe.

4. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Fixed for dramatic effect.

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Yeah, in my person canon in Fall of Cybertron, Shockwave scanned fossil records for the Dinobots. Believing he observed them alive is both historically impossible (those dinos did not all exist at the same time) and makes the events in the game happen more than 70 million years ago.

6. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought similar things today. In my case, I decided to take "million" years of Cybertronian as "hundred" or "ten" years.
    That "million years of war" thing reaaaaally brings me a headache.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    I like the 'millions' of years because it sounds really EPIC!!!1..but yeah, it doesn't make alot of sense, especially since them Transformers live pretty much the same way we do, from day to day - unlike, say, the Greek Gods who in some stories seemed to react slow to events on earth simply because their scale of time is so different (we live short and shitty lifespans).

Nowadays I just pretend alot of Cybertronians during the war just went into stasis for multiple thousands of years in between fights or something. No way to stay sane!

8. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Oh, here's a thought. What if a Cybertronian year is only like 10 days? What if it's close to it's star and has a very fast year relative to Earths?

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I don't mind the millions of years part, but the problem is that they keep making way too many of the "younger" characters actually really old. I don't mind someone like Optimus, Megatron, Ratchet, etc being millions as they feel like they are stable, grounded, steady personalities (even if they are evil or insane, it's settled). The problem comes up when a character like Bumblebee is shown to be millions of years old and yet is written like an impulsive young adult/child.

I would like them to discuss it at some point. What is the average maturation cycle for a TF? How do they go unchanged for so very very long -are they just stubborn or have fixed programming?

To take an example from Mass Effect, the Asari, who can live for at least 1000 years or so, will be out of their "maiden" phase within one or two hundred years, iirc. I can't see how a TF could stay "immature" over millions. Then again, these are creatures effectively born fully mature, development must be different, not just in terms of time, but in terms how it happens.

10. Super Lazuli

Super Lazuli Active Member

I find it pretty strange, too.

I can buy robots living for hundreds--for the old ones, maybe thousands--of years. But millions? Eh...yeah.

On a related note, I always thought the number of Primes per continuity was oddly low. There's usually only like 4-6 (not counting the 13, I mean like the actual, ruling-da-Autobots Primes), when a more realistic number would be something like 10-12.

That actually would make a surprising amount of sense. Or at least serve as a convinient handwave, if nothing else.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I often wonder if there was like a giant Shutdown period. where everyone, simultaneously went offline for a period of time. would fill the gap substantially, I would think.

12. Hellbot

Hellbot Jaeger

Gotta agree with the OP. It sometimes takes me out of the narrative when I think about how long they have supposedly been around. I try not to put too much emphasis on the number of years when I read these comics.