Minor/Repaint: I'm going to kitbash a trailer for my 20th Prime (pics included)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NormanB, Jun 25, 2005.

1. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I was looking at this thread last week...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread76531.html

And thinking.. that's pretty cool.

I found myself running around a neighborhood garage sale this morning, and stumbled across this...

2. NormanB

News Credits:
    Sorry for the crappy pictures, but my good camera is at work, all I have is my webcam right now.

So this trailer (and truck) was only two bucks, and I start thinking... that looks to be about the right size... :) 

Now granted, the trailer is a mess, nothing but chipped paint and rust, but I'm thinking I can clean it up nicely, so I spring for the two bucks, take it home and take a little sandpaper to it.

Lo and behold, there is shiny metal underneath all of that crap!

You can see where I started cleaning it up on the leftmost portion of the top of the cab.

3. NormanB

News Credits:
    So I peel one of the side stickers off, and begin sanding again.. just for the heck of it.

I'm really pleased with how well all of the rust, chipped paint and cruddy stickers are coming off.

I'm going to get a sanding bit for my drill to speed things up a bit, and snag my Dad's Dremel for the detail spots, but I hope to have this shined up nice and purty by the middle of this week.

4. NormanB

News Credits:
    Here's a picture that shows the relative scale... it's not perfect, but I think once I get the trailer cleaned and PRIMED up, it's going to look great.

The trailer is jacked up right now because the pin that connects it to the truckis about 3/4 inch too long. It's a metal pole about 1/4 inch in diameter.

Now here are a few questions I want to ask the more experienced bashers...

1. Once I get this cleaned up, I'm going to paint it gray. I was thinking of using a glassy Rustoleum spray paint. Do you think I would be better off hand painting it? Will the rustoleum keep the rust from coming back? Is there something I should use as a base or primer before I put on the gray paint?

Unfortunately, the whole thing is rivetted together, so taking it apart for sanding and painting just isn't an option. :( 

2. I really, really want to get the ground effects blue, but they are made out of black plastic. Can you recommend a good paint that will stick to plastic?

3. What can I use to cut down the hitch pole. It's the 1/4 inch piece of metal. Does Dremel make a bit for that kind of cutting?

4. Any other hints or warning to throw out at a first-time basher? I'm really excited to get this project underway!

I will continue to post progress pics!

5. NormanB

News Credits:
    And the progress pics will be taken with my good camera!

Just for reference, this is the truck and trailer I bought, except not this nice at all.

Depending on how well I complete the trailer, I'm going to try and turn the truck into Scourge's cab.

Supposedly the sounds still work, but I haven't tried them yet.

I feel like such a NERD.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Glad to inspire, man! Good find at the garage sale, too! I haven't found much in the last few years at "garage sales." Flea markets are a different story, but they're becoming like stores now . . .

Anyways, best of wishes on your own custom trailer! Look forward to your results!

7. NormanB

News Credits:
    Will have some better pictures later tonight after I do some more sanding.

I also read the sticked resource threads for some info.

I am getting really excited by this project.

8. NormanB

News Credits:
    OK, this picture shows the back of the cab. This is what the entire trailer exterior looked like before I busted out the sanding wheel and my drill...

9. NormanB

News Credits:
    Here's a shot of the sanded down trailer.

I'm going to paint the trailer with a glossy Rustoleum gray spraypaint, then add the detail stripe.

I still haven't figured out how to manage the Autobot symbol. I'm certainly not talented enough to paint it. I'm going to check around for a metallic label.

This shot clearly shows that the tires are about 20% too big on the trailer, but I can live with that. I'm going to paint the hubcaps silver to match Prime's cab.

I'm also going to paint the black ground effects with Krylon plastic-coat spray paint.

This also shows the trailer sitting straight off of the cab. I had to grind the connector peg from about an inch in length to about an eigth of an inch. It wasn't fun. Nor did my neighbors enjoy listening to the alternating sounds of the squealing Dremel and a hand file.

10. NormanB

News Credits:
    This final picture shows the rear of the trailer.

You'll notice where I chewed a hole in the plastic with some overzealous Dremeling.

Oops. Not sure how to fix that. :( 

I'm debating whether or not to paint this door.

If I do, it will probably look better, but I'm afraid that the paint won't hold up to the opening and closing of the door. Perhaps I could just paint it and leave it closed forever.

Otherwise, I may just leave it white to give me the option to open and close the trailer as I see fit.

I'm leaning toward painting right now.

11. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Profressional Asshole

paint it and as for the hole, for something in a location like that I'd recomend epoxy putty... just go to a hoby shop and ask for "green stuff"

12. NormanB

News Credits:
    Will do, thanks for the tip!

Is this green stuff sandable once dry?

13. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Profressional Asshole

Its not that hard when dry. Its rather rubbery, but it air drys, is very soft (clay like) and good for details (better than sculpty if you know what you're doing, IMHO) when fresh, can be painted over with no problem, and can be squished into the most tiny of space... you'll have to smooth it flat but you could use it to restore the details you accadently dremmeled off.

14. NormanB

News Credits:
    NECROBUMP

I started this project a few months ago...

I went gung-ho for a couple of days, got everything sanded, prepped and ready to paint.

Then I painted.

Well, to put it nicely, I HATED the color of the trailer, and hated the fact that I got paint flecks all over the plastic ground effects on the side (the part that is supposed to be blue).

It just looked like shit, and nothing at all like I had envisioned.

So I got pissed, put it in the closet and forget about it.

Fast forward to this morning.

I'm reading the "Things I love about the TF fandom" thread over in GD, and I get to thinking I should give Prime another try.

So this time, instead of trying to paint around the plastic parts, and around the tires, I tear everything off.

I hesitated to do this first time around because the ground effects were riveted to the steel body and the tires were riveted shut as well.

So I just took my Dremel and ground away at the ground effect rivets until everything just popped off. There are underside support clips on the bottom of the truck as well, so using those as guides, I'm just going to adhesive them back on once the painting is done.

For the tires, I just cut the axles in half (again with the Dremel). They came right out, and I'll put them back on at the end with some industrial epoxy (which I get for free at work).

I had also previously screwed up the back door panel with some overenthusiastic grinding. Plus, I had painted the door after that, so when I tried to strip the paint off, the door just looked terrible.

Going with the flow, I just popped the damn thing right of the tracks inside the trailer, took a piece of extra-fine sandpaper to it, ground everything down smooth again, fashioned a tiny duct tape patch for the hole I had previously created, put it on the back of the door, then repainted the door. I took a little artisitc license with the door. Instead of painting it gray to match the rest of the trailer, I painted it navy blue to match the ground effects. It looks very nice, plus hides the little hole I made a lot better than gray would have.

Sanded all of the awful shiny metalic paint of the trailer, ground away the rust and paint that I couldn't previously reach because of the other pieces that were attached, hit the trailer with a coat of auto primer, then a coat of textured gray paint. I chose the textured paint because it hides flaws in the metal and flaws in the application. PLus, it gives the trailer a weather look that looks realistic, especially with the battle damaged effects on 20th Prime.

As I type this, the paint is drying!

Right now I'm on the fence regarding how to proceed with the detail striping.

Part of me would like to mask off the sides of the trailer, then spray the striping on. I would then either look at Autobot faction labels from reprolabels, or else just print some nice logos out on my printer at work (work at an ad agency, we have tons of sweet printers) then get them laminated, cut them out and adhesive them onto the trailer.

The other idea is to have the label be the entire stripe plus the logo, like the original figure. It might be easier to get the finished product more to my liking as well.

Not sure how I'm going to do that yet.

Anyway, I should have some pictures available tomorrow sometime.

None of my freinds will care at all about this, so I just had to share it with you guys!

I'm very excited.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey sounds like you've been really coming along with this project! I can't wait to see pics!

16. NormanB

News Credits:
    UPDATES w/ pics!

Getting close tio being done.

Pictures will show the trailer as it is as of about 10 minutes ago. The rear axle and tires have been reattached. After I had them back on, I realized how gray and yucky they looked, so I painted the plastic tires with a hihg-gloss Rustoleum paint to give them that wet rubber look. You'll notive that I used epoxy to put the axle back together, then just sanded it down to look like on of those coupler things you see on some rigs. Then I painted all that as well!

You'll notice the texture gray paint as referenced in my previous post. I think it looks phenomenal.

Other pictures show how I painted the back door blue, as well as the plastic ground effects. The blue is almost a perfect match for MP Primes legs. I'm quite pleased.

You'll also notice the little Roller I made up to go along with this, He's an old Tootsie Toy, and you can read all about him in the ROLLER thread in this subforum.

I've decided not to paint the detail striping. I just know it won't look as nice as everythign else on this trailer will.

I'm recreating the entire detail label in Illustrator, then I'm going to take it to a local print shop and either get it printed on bumper sticker plastic or very thin metallic vinyl (like the magnetized business cards you get in the mail for pizza shops, etc.)

Can't really show you a shot of the trailer connected to the rig yet, as the tires will need to dry at least overnight.

Anyway... here are the pics.

More to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. REACTOR

REACTOR Well-Known Member

Great work. Look forward to more.

18. NormanB

News Credits:
    Just have to let a little paint dry on the underside and then handle the decals.

I've decided to print them on the color printer at work, then spray mount them to thin magnetic sheeting, which I got today at the craft store.

This should hopefully all be done by the end of the week!

[​IMG]

19. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member