I'm glad ROTF isn't gonna be all depressing and dark...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 16, 2009.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I've read alot of opinions on the TF movies involving the comedy, or the lightheartedness, or the fact that it didn't 100% take itself too seriously.

I get it. I know. You want the TF movies to be 100% adult ass kicking movies without the goofy humor and as few humans as possible. Part of me did too, until I saw the movie. I felt the crowd response around me. I understood why it was there. And there's really only one part that personally bothers me, of course, the infamous lubrication scene. Beyond that, it just felt like a good, fun 80's style movie like Ghostbusters or Back to the Future. The TFs mostly felt like they should and the vibe was there. In fact giving it that 80s vibe kinda ties in if you think about it.

ANYway, y'know, we had the Dark Knight. Wow. I mean words can't express my love for that movie. BUT, it was incredibly heavy. Dark? Some would say depressing. The new Bonds? Grim. Dark. We're about to get Watchmen. That's about as grim and dark as it comes.

And the current state of the country? Maybe Dark Knight is more of a parallel of that than I thought. But people are down. If they can spend $7-$10 on a movie ticket, I think having TF2 be this huge fun spectacle will be good. It really is part of what helped sell the first one. And the reason we HAVE ROTF is because of that success, which let's admit it couldn't have happened if the members of this board were the main people to see it.

I realize they are trying to treat the TF mythos with seriousness, so I'm sure it's not going to be as juvenile as say, The Phantom Menace. (it's true)

So, I truly hope we keep any body-humor to a minimum, I realize there's a couple of times I'll probably cringe. But if it's only once or twice, like the first movie? Great! Awesome! I cringe more than that in MOST movies so I'm ok with that ratio.

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Totally agree.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

I'm all for having humor mixed in with the more serious tones of the movie. These films should be fun to watch, this is Transformers after all.

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Dark and serious doesn't mean no humor. Ironman was the perfect balance although it has flaws of it's own.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I for one loved how the Humor was mixed into the heavy action scenes, like Lennox trying to call the Pentagon while the village is getting assulted by Scorpy, more specificaly:

Lennox: I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD!
    Operator: Sir, the attitude is not going to speed things up any bit at all. I'm going to ask you to speak very clearly into the mouthpiece...
    Len: I'm in the middle of a war! This is friggin redculous!
    *qucik switch to and from shots of Scorpy laying the smackdown*
    Len: I need a credit card! Epps, where's your wallet?
    Epps: POCKET! (fires gun)
    Len: Which pocket?
    Epps:MY BACK POCKET! (fires gun)
    Len: You've got like ten back pockets!
    Epps:LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! (fires gun) LEFT CHEEK!
    Len: (to bored operator) Okay, I got a Visa...
    Operator: Also sir, can I interest you in a premium plus plan?
    Len: I don't want a premium plus plan! (wall behind him blows up)

6. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I Tottaly Agree.

7. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    but i bet if you were a kid of toy-buying age you would have found it hilarious..

8. Julliant

They would have also found Tony hitting the ceiling funny, so I don't understand the need to go to toilet humor. It's not that I don't like humor I just don't like the kind of jokes they use.

9. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I actually couldn't believe they did that, but in a good way.

It's pretty good that Bay and the actors were able to inject humor into an otherwise serious and "life-endangering" scene. One of my favorites.

10. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was inserted because a soldier told Bay this happened to him once! I concur that Transformers shouldn't be dark: but serious, not truly exciting film gets away with an unthreatening villain and the Decepticons were genuinely menacing.

11. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Action + Drama = :thumb  Totally Success

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i agree as well.

i definitely hope there's less potty humor, but for the most part the humor is k

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I liked the humour. Transformers dies when the humour dies. TF needs jokes and light-hearted situations/comments, because there is no way in hell it's ever going to be taken seriously, so why not have fun?

Did it? I didn't notice, it was too awesome. :rock  (I'm being jokey here for those who are thick as a brick. I just loved Iron Man)

14. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

The movie doesn't need to be total unrelenting grimdark..
    But man it could really cut down on some of the silly shit, especially human based comedy.

We dont need to sit through 10 minute clips of fat dudes worrying about eating donuts for example. No point.

15. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

I'm personally going into the movie with two expectations:

1) I get to see Giant Robots Blow Slag Up.
    2) Shia gets his aft kicked.

Both involve opportunities for D: and :D  . If they are satisfied, then I will be a happy person!

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I just hope they have a more unified tone in the second movie. The first movie often felt disjointed with the leaps from too silly for it's own good to too dark with killing off characters.

I think a super hero type feel would be perfect for the Transformers movies. Totally agree that a Dark Knight feel though is not the sort of super hero feel to go for. I'm thinking more of a Super Man sort of feel though because Prime should be on that best of the best list when it comes to heroes. Instead of Rambo or Dirty Harry or those sorts of heroes they should give Prime the chance to be one of those heroes that saves the day without a bunch of dead bodies left behind.

I know it's hopeless to hope, but fingers crossed at least they cut back the body function humor, humor based on race, or those jokes with far too much set up. The film had some moments of really good organic humor so maybe they could replicate more of that for the second movie.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Cut out the BumblePee bit, and most (if not all) of the tubby hacker, and I don't have any major problems with the humour in the first one.

18. Julliant

It CAN be taken seriously, that's why everyone loved the Autobot's arrival scene. Everyone, not just the fans. I want Transformers to be serious and dark, while still having a healthy amount of the right humor.

Bumblebee peeing isn't the right type. I welcome more of the Autobots struggling hilariously to adapt to the scale of our world, and more of Ironhide and Ratchet's quirkiness. The Indian telephone operator was also hilarious. Too bad Fig's not returning, otherwise I'd welcome him for more of his antics.

Ironman is indeed, awesome. It was serious when it needs to be for the story, and funny when it needed a break.

The humor in my opinion, should not (1) be so low-brow that it's cringeworthy and (2) be taking away from the story. The hackers had some slightly funny scenes but hell they were 101% pointless. It's like scenes from a completely different movie stitched inbetween.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    People often forget that things always need to be in balance. I've talked to alot of people who somehow seem to think they could do these big movies, claiming things should be 'all serious' and 'deep'...the hell with that. Nobody except the uber hardcore fans will take that.

Humor acts as a great way to relieve some tension that's been built up, or create a sort of silence before the storm. Just like with music..you can't create an album that's one hour full of just extreme heavy metal. If you don't put in a slow song once in a while, everything will become one big mess and people will give up (of course, this won't stop certain bands/artists/genres from trying). Like setting a specific order of songs on a CD, writing a movie is about carefully selecting what kind of part should come after what other part (not just thinking in plot progression but also tension/drama/humor/etc.)

And of course, everything, even humor, should be just the right amount. People have different opinions on that of course..I really cringed when Bumblebee was peeing on Simmons, or Jazz using the word bitches :p  but I DID love the backyard scene, where alot of people hated it.

So in short - yes, humor should definitely be in a movie like Transformers. Schindler's List, this ain't. :) 

20. Julliant

I agree with that completely, but the movie isn't balanced right now and it's the seriousness that it lacks. Not holding my breath on Jar-Jar bot and whatever the Beat/Spark is.