I'm glad critics hate it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lateralus, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Funny, nobody has a problem with the critics when they say something good about this movie, or the first one...

If you use positive reviews to say "look, people are saying the movie is good!" then you can't suddenly ignore the negative reviews because all of a sudden "critics are stupid tools, don't believe what they say about anything."

2. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

you got silly and rediculous out of that movie .

I got horrible and mind bogglingly mindless.

Listen the CGI was awesome no doubt but this movie even more than the first is only about the CGI there is no other value for this movie.

It is less of a transformers movie than even I expected. It really is only about GIANT F@#$ ROBOTS to bay . They are not Transformers they are robots and this is just a generic robot movie with ILM doing all the work to carry this film.

The Fallen before the movie was a horriblely Cliche character and back story and he was even more cliche after the movie.

How is it not plagiarism at some point especially when Megs ( Darth Vader ) is called his apprentice. lol WTF

There is a reasons the critic hate the movie you would literally have to turn off your brain to love it . OOOOOOHHHHHHH shiny things on the screen look real.

The reality this movie is not a Fan Service because its all about what Bay wants ( evidentally he even usurped the writers at points ) and the movie is not very good plot wise and the movie story is horribly made up on the fly. Really if you need to like this movie the only thing redeeming it would be the CGI which is the only spectacle to behold.

The critics are right about this film mostly

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Untrue. If that were the case, you would enjoy it (or not) the same way regardless of the opinions of others. That you take greater enjoyment because of their negative reviews does emphasize how much other's opinions have on you.

4. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i've read several reviews, and most of the complaints and the critics are making are completely illegible. they're basically saying things that don't even make sense such as: "Revenge of the Fallen is almost literally plotless. It's like a movie based on a TV Guide description."
    ummmmm....if i remember correctly there actually WAS a plot, and it made sense, and was a little more complicated than a two sentence summary.
    "This is the single worst film to be released thus far in the summer of 2009"
    what a ridiculous thing to say. honestly? there were no terrible entirely slapstick-based romantic comedies? i beg to differ.

i think critics just really hate Michael Bay, and action movies in general. sure, the film was an intense bombardment of the senses...but how is that bad if you go into a movie wanting to be bombarded?

5. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Critics are no longer relevant. Everyone knows this, even the critics themselves.

6. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    I loved ROTF and the overall impression I'm having about the bad reviews is that people went to theaters looking for human drama in a freaking TRANSFORMERS movie. They also bitch a lot about busy visual effects, so they probably were too busy paying attention to the CGI and completely missed the story.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's the Awards Opinion Effect again. If a movie you've invested a lot of time in following and being a cheerleader for fails to win an award then the awards are rigged and meaningless anyway. If it wins then the awards are important signifiers of quality and validation of how great the movie was all along. Same with reviews when there's a good or bad one about a movie you really supported.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I love the bad reviews because it means people are spending all their time bashing the critics who weren't happy with the film instead of bashing their fellow fans who were disappointed. That and it's funny how upset people who say they never listen to the critics or the critics are irrelevant can get over the reviews.

9. vektsilver

it kinda feels like justice :) 

my favorite part that everyone has skipped is in the user reviews ( not the critics mind you ) TF2 is pulling a strong D+ with movie goers. The movie is just dashing everyones expectations against the rocks.

10. TigerClaw

TigerClaw Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  11. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Hello people, critics are going the way of the dinosaur, we have the internet, all of us are critics oh and one more thing, IT'S A FREAKING MOVIE, ENJOY IT, SPEND MONEY, HELP THE ECONOMY, WHO CARES IF IT SUCKS, DON'T LIKE IT. DON'T SEE IT. IF YOU LET OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU HOW A MOVIE IS, AND BASE YOUR DECISION MAKING ON THAT, THEN YOU'RE DUMB AS A ROCK. On another note, any parent wanting to take their kids to see this movie, be warned, there are a lot of crude sexual inuendos in this film.

12. vektsilver

then again its always good to look before you leep.

or you become a lemming
    or a sheep

or someone who cant think for them selves even after someone gives you an insightful opinion.

I dont think you can just ignore the reviews saying its a giant waste of time but again forumlate your own opinions and definately not because anyone is yelling it at you in CAPSLOCK or not in caps :) 

Personally I find someone elses point of view to be fun to compare with and find things that maybe I missed the first time round and others just re affirm when a movie is a dud like this one.

remeber critics put a face to the opinion and it is about 10 times more trust worthy than a million fanboys screaming their love for something that is only good to them

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

If critics say it suck, I will like it pretty much my opinion.

14. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The critics were right unfortunately. I refused to believe them, until I witnessed the nightmare for myself. I really hope that Bay doesn't return to make the 3rd one. At this point I don't care. I'll have to rely on AVATAR to get my Sci-Fi fix this year.

15. skidz180

skidz180 Observer

I can understand the use of a critic in the year 1990 and around that era. But in 2009 everybody is a critic. Who appointed those douchebags at rottertomatoes? What is the use of a critic?

16. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i did a synoptic paper a few weeks back on how critics are becoming irrelevant thanks to the internet. really, the only purpose they serve in the mass media now is to throw out blurbs to advertise movies. most of them are under studio pay aswell, so their opinions have some inevitable corporate bias.
    these days, you have to just see things for yourself.

17. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I just got back from the screening, I would give it a 7/10.

It may not be perfect, but I enjoyed it. In movies like this, all I want is to be awed and transported into something surreal, to see things I would never see in real life. And ROTF certainly delivered.

A few aspects could be improved upon, would have been nice if the bad guys posed more of a threat instead of being fodder. As it is, they never felt like a real threat. And some wide angle shots of fight sequences, as well as Devastator combining, would have done more justice.

Wasn't really bothered by the jumpiness from scene to scene. Being a total TF geek, I had no problems telling apart the characters even when everything seems chaotic. Although the general, non-TF fan might not be as observant.

But overall, it was pretty enjoyable and definitely worth the money. Will be watching it again this weekend and have tickets booked.

As for the critics, I really don't care anyway. They're entitled to their opinion, and if they don't like it, fine by me. Only thing I take offence is when someone tells me I'm stupid if I like something. As long as they do not cross that line, I don't pay much attention to them.

18. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I beg to differ. If you follow what a "critic" has to say and avoid a movie solely based on their opinion, or if you base whether or not you see a movie solely on "critical" opinion and never refer to friends, family, or fandom opinions, you become that same sheep.

I don't even bother with critics. They're just a group of opinionated people that happen to sometimes get paid for their opinions. They don't have any significance - other than the false prestige people assign them - above any other "common" person's opinion.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  19. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems to me it was either this withs fans generally liking it and critics not so much or the inverse. I'd rather fellow Transformers fans liked it than in unison call it a mass selling out to people who aren't fans (critics and non Transfans). I usually get the feeling that good Sci-Fi items like Transformers and TMNT (and any further new movies from them if at all) will always be shorted because critics can't enjoy movie adaptations of what they call "kiddie cartoons."

20. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I can't say I totally disagree with the critics. I really enjoyed the film (jury's still out on whether I prefer it to the first or not...need another viewing), but it definitely felt like it lacked some much needed structure. It was kinda all over the place and didn't flow very well, especially once the forest fight ended. A lot of it just felt sloppy, which I blame on being intent on squeezing this movie into a June 2009 release date despite the writer's strike. An extra year would have benefitted this movie greatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.