I'm disappointed in modern Transformers....here's why...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    on the flip side...the robot modes now are very articulate...almost just like playing with a GI joe with the kung fu grip! I love G1...but try getting G1 Ultra Magnus to kick...he can't f*ckin do it

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I will agree with a lot of what the OP says, but I have to agree that thinks have improved since the ROTF line. I think the technology has gotten to the point where HasTak can make pretty much anything transform into a robot through an increasingly complicated series of maneuvers, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    TFC's Hercules is a great example of a fine balance between complexity and fun. In a lot of the ways I feel the franchise peaked with the extended CHUG line. Things seem to be getting back to that level.

One of the things that increasingly frustrates me about the first transformation, and how intuitive it is, is the amount of figure that are packaged in robot mode nowadays. Given that the alt. mode is nearly always the more compact of the forms, I find it easier to wiggle a vehicle open and the joints easier to see, making the first transformation into robot much easier than starting with a robot and having no idea how to fold it back down into vehicle. Is this just me?

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I can make him kick the bucket!

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno - I often find making that first step in the transformation is tricky when a figure is packed in alt mode, specifically cars. The instructions will show the sides are supposed to swing out in some way but there's always some little tab inside somewhere that's holding it shut and it's a worry as to knowing exactly where to hold and apply pressure and outward force to unhook that locking tab and not break or stress anything.
    When you start with robot mode all the joints and tabs are usually there to see before you begin. Sure panel massaging is a pain as you near the end of converting to vehicle, but at least you have a better idea how it's possibly going to fit and lock rather than hitting an alt blind for the first transform.

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I agree but I like my figures being packed in robot mode. To me robot mode is the most important. By packaging a figure in robot mode you can see if there are any issues with the figure easier.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or hip thrust him to death with his giant codpiece.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hear you.

Anything from Beast Wars-RID was great.

What I enjoyed most about the toys designed from Beast Wars-RID eras was the fact that with most of them, you could just start transforming them from any point or section (leg, arm, torso, etc.) and still get to the robot in a short amount of time. I used to time myself in seeing how fast I could transform those guys and could manage to get them done in mere minutes. Nowadays, we have many vehicular transformers where if you don't transform them from a specific point and follow a specific transforming sequence then you'll break the toy and be fucked. With the beasts (Beast Wars-RID) and fictional vehicles (Beast Machines-RID), you could start from mostly anywhere and be fine.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Apparently, big piles of mistransformed plastic.....from what I have seen.

Because they can't figure it out?

And this is what I mean....

When I was a kid, I wanted a battle! Good guys vs. the bad guys just like on tv. I wanted a quick transformation. I wouldn't have wanted a puzzle to sit there with for 5 minutes while I tried to figure it out....LOL

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Not every kid is like you. I bet a lot of them like complex transformations. Plus, pick up a DOTM Ratchet and tell me that isn't fast and fun.

10. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    True, not every kid is/was like me but the whole point of this was to explain why I am disappointed with newer toys.

11. avengerboy123

avengerboy123 Well-Known Member

no i love them the only i havent been able are roft:mixmaster
    unicron
    roft: pop op

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

and surprise surprise not every kid is like you. I remember a few friends being pissed off about the 6 changer. I checked one out and never wanted it. Not even to this day.

I didn't know anyone who gave two flips how hard a transformation was. As long as the bot mode looked cool and ready for a fight and the vehicle mode looked real. 1984 They did both.

13. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

On my desk at this moment there are two Transformers. BOTH are Megatron, however one is the Energon figure while the other is the PRIDE Figure.
    From an animating perspective it's much easier to do a transformation sequence of the Energon figure than Prime.
    From PLay expireance, Energon also wins, It's a fun but simple transformation compared to PRIDE.
    As for quality and plastics? On my PRIDE Megatron standard transforming has already resulted in the clear plastic hinge at his waist to begin to sheer, so now I keep him in robot mode. Energon has no problems like that.

With children you need a transformer that is fun, with a bit of difficulty but not too hard and is also sturdy and durable. A/E/C figures and Beast Wars are the best examples at what suitible Transformers lines for CHILDREN above age of 5 should be while still being appealing to the adult fandom.

14. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ROTF/HFTD was a little more complex than I'd like, but I think that DOTM oversimplified the transformations way too much. I don't like overly complicated transformations, but I'm willing to put up with them when they mean less cheating, better proportions, and overall better looking figures. I think that Animated and Classics-styled lines have had generally about the perfect complexity.

Looking at some of the toys I've seen at Target or TRU, I must say that this is probably true. Then again, I think people today in general are dumber than they used to be, at least here in America.

15. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    ^^ Process, champion of reason.

16. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I TOTALLY agree. There's something very satisfying about the ease in which you can transform G1 toys. I like modern TFs, but I have to admit - most of the fun I get is in posing them and what not. Transforming them i sometimess, well, kind of a pain in the ass.

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Partly, part has to do with hand-eye coordination at that age.

Today's deluxes aren't age (generally) appropriate for that age range IMHO. And I'm kind of glad for that because that allows the toys to that much more satisfying for older kids and adults.

18. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    So true, and I LOVE DotM Ratchet because he is both those things.

And again, I don't think he's generally age appropriate for a 5-6 yr old.