I'm changing to Windows 7 - your thoughts appreciated also on netbooks & touchscreen

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jul 3, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    What advice might you offer to someone who has owned a computer in the past but has just decided to get another that runs Windows 7 rather than XP.

1) What programes might one need that are useful functions missing from that operating system be they 3rd part or official (see below)
    2) What is available that works with Windows 7 and is free online that performs the sort of functions people do... such as Photo manipulation ?
    3) What free firewall / anti-virus / Add blocker etc, is the most tolerable (asuming you don't want to pay for one)
    4) If buying a Computer with a TV tuner what if anything is available free to get more use out of it - is there a free video editing programme suited to search taging, editing or extracting clips from Cumputer recorded TV that anyone knows about.
    5) Is there any free archiving programmes
    6) should one use Outlook express for the e-mail or is their a better alternative ?
    7) are there any free downloads available that might allow older programes from XP to run on Windows 7 even if they are stated not too - or if they do run - to run better ?
    8) And is there any well known free programs that make use of a touch screen monitor well ?
    9) If one was to buy a Netbook that runs Windows 7's basic version - can you put the components in from another windows 7 disc via networking or saving them to a USB stick - or downloading them -what if any features are available free.

So basically I'm looking for advice as to how to get the best out of a Touch screen Computer that has a TV tuner and a Netbook - both running Windows 7 and that both come with almost no software.

And this is advice to someone with no Windows 7 experience.

General windows 7 tips are also appreciated.

I'd also appreciate any tips on a free e-mail.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As of Windows 7, Outlook Express has been replaced with Windows Live Mail. It'll take a little getting used to but for a no-frills mail client, it's not bad.

On the web browsing front, Internet Explorer 8 is terrible[/B], IMO. It's worth installing Google Chrome. IE9 is already on the way so even Microsoft can't think much of v8.

On the whole I like W7, it's an improvement over Vista.

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got win7 on my m11x laptop, an the last OS i had was XP

its a little different, besides aesthetics networking is a little odd with the new network and sharing center
    user account control will prevent some games that need write access to the program files folders, so make sure you run them as admin [war3, starcraft, diablo]

1) What programes might one need that are useful functions missing from that operating system be they 3rd part or official (see below)

FIREFOX with adblock, CPUID's HW monitor [if you want to know what temperature the laptop is at], VLC media player, and winrar
    all are free

2) What is available that works with Windows 7 and is free online that performs the sort of functions people do... such as Photo manipulation ?

Paint.net, XnView.
    paint is like photoshop, but xnview is smaller, loads faster and does the simple tasks like resizing faster

3) What free firewall / anti-virus / Add blocker etc, is the most tolerable (asuming you don't want to pay for one)

firewall, i use windows
    anti virus, i use avast, avg is fine too
    adblocker, adblock+ extention for firefox
    anti malware, malwarebytes anti malware
    all of those are freeware

4) If buying a Computer with a TV tuner what if anything is available free to get more use out of it - is there a free video editing programme suited to search taging, editing or extracting clips from Cumputer recorded TV that anyone knows about.

no idea

like winrar?

6) should one use Outlook express for the e-mail or is their a better alternative ?

i use gmail, so no comment

7) are there any free downloads available that might allow older programes from XP to run on Windows 7 even if they are stated not too - or if they do run - to run better ?

there are compatibility modes, check online for different settings for different apps, i had to do a few things for starcraft to work

8) And is there any well known free programs that make use of a touch screen monitor well ?

no idea

9) If one was to buy a Netbook that runs Windows 7's basic version - can you put the components in from another windows 7 disc via networking or saving them to a USB stick - or downloading them -what if any features are available free.

i dont think so

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No, all the components are already on the machine and the stuff you have available is determined by the edition of your licence. If you want to upgrade to a higher edition, it has a program that you use to buy a new licence from Microsoft and change your installation in place.

As for features, see the table in this article - Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

get AVG free for your anti virus.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've very recently gone to Windows 7 myself

1) What programes might one need that are useful functions missing from that operating system be they 3rd part or official
    Firefox is really good to have
    Ccleaner is a program that cleans out internet history/trash/ other misc. garbage and it also has a registry error check/repair
    OpenOffice.ORG is a free alternative to OFFICE
    those are really the big ones that spring to mind

I use GIMP. I haven't done a whole lot with it but it seems to have a lot going for it, especially for being free.
    I use windows firewall and I had actually heard really good things about Microsoft Security Essentials. I like it a lot and it doesn't hog resources. I know a lot of people use AVG or Avast, but I've found that they actually miss some things.
    not something I'm familiar with.

I think Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative

I haven't come across anything that doesn't run on 7 that DID on xp. 7 Ultimate has Windows XP mode, but I heard it's a resource hog and kinda buggy.
    dunno
    nope

For free programs you should check out DOWNLOAD.COM. They have a plethora of free stuff to at least try out.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was going to reply to this thread, as I love win7, but everything he said is what I was going to add. listen to the man.