I'm buying something!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Vader, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Yesterday someone created a thread that I thought was an interesting topic that was more related to how you are as a collector as far as our habits go (the topic about waiting to open your stuff, or opening immediately) and this one is along those lines. It's not toy specific.

Do you ever go out to look for something that you know probably isn't there yet (Legends Dev hasn't hit my area yet, but I still stop at my Walmart twice a week to check) with the intentions of leaving with something regardless of whether they have what you set out to look for? For example; on my way home from work today I'm going to stop at Walmart and if they don't have Legends Dev yet I'll buy some random scout or maybe an animated activator that's not even on my want list.

It's pretty wasteful, but I do it from time to time.

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Actually, when I go out looking for something I know isn't out yet, I usually find it. :D  But I usually end up with something extra, so I guess I do that sometimes.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Most of the time, I'll go into a store with a particular figure in mind. If it's not there, I'll look at the rest of the action figures, look up prices, etc. But I typically leave without buying anything. I'd like to think that I'm not as wasteful with my money as I was when I first got into collection 2-3 years ago.

4. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I use to do that but not any more, it usually leads to buyer's remorse.r. I usually try to wait and buy what I'm after instead of buying something just for the sake of buying something.

5. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I don't normally buy a Transformer on impulse. I either no that I want it in advance or the figure grows on me while I see it on the shelves of a store and I eventually buy it. That said, there have been occassions when something has caught my eye and I have just bought it -- it's normally on sale though when I do that. The last such item was the Universe Legends Aerial Rivals five-pack.

6. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    yeah i know exactly how you mean but i force myself to leave the store haha

7. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes if I drive to a store across town or into another parish and don't find what I'm looking for I'll revert to the: "Well, I drove all the way out here for nothing. I HAVE to get SOMEthing to make this trip worthwhile" type of thinking.

8. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I do this all the time. If I'm really excited about looking for something and don't find it, I just hate leaving the store empty handed and have to get something. That's how I got ROTF Scalpel, Dune Runner, and most of my Legends class figures.

9. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Luckily for me I'm a pretty serious Action Figure collector , so Usually there's something I'm looking for ,let it be Transformers , GI Joe, Star Wars , Marvel, DC.....Ect.ect.ect...

On top of that , since i'm one of the main(if not the Main) Action Figure Collector in my town , I know just about all the serious collectors of all the mainly lines.... so I coordinate and communicate with them when it comes to Toy hunting ..... they let me know what they see and I let them know what I see .....so I don't have to go hunting a lot ..... So I never miss out on anything , and I always know what store has what products. .... so there's never been a time where I'm expecting something and it not being there .

Inaddition to all that I have a 6th sense on telling what figures will be sitting around my area , so I know what to buy right away and what to take my time buying :) 

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll be looking for the new ROTF deluxes tonight, and when they don't have them I will buy Undermine at Dollar General.

11. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yesterday...went to 2 walmarts 2 targets looking for HA Barricade......left target with breakdown and wideload...
    i don't always do that ...but its kinda funny this thread is started and i did it yesteday

12. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know exactly what you mean. I've dubbed it "Traveller's Remorse" (kinda like the opposite of Buyer's Remorse). Where you regret not buying something after putting in the time/effort/gas to get there.

And it's not just limited to a trip to the store. I could be on vacation somewhere, and if I didn't buy anything then I feel I've wasted an opportunity.

In the grand scheme of things, you're better off not buying anything at all because you cut your losses. By people in general are funny that way, we need to "justify our actions" so to speak, and a tangible purchase (temporarily) does the trick

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

dollar general sells tfs?

14. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    They sell them from the old Universe line which was like Cybertron scouts and legends.

15. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used to do this all the time.

I've kind of become more disciplined lately though - I ended up with a lot of crap that I wasn't happy with as soon as I got it home and ended up with TFs and other toys I didn't like taking up too much space.

I do still go and look for stuff but it's not there I'm usually out the door empty handed.

16. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

I did that very thing today!

I was going to Toys R' Us to try and get Animated Arcee and the big & little sister Bioshock two pack but they had neither so I ended up buying Devastator at Wal-Mart instead (on sale!) because I had resolved to buy something.

Subsequently I am broke, but if the past trends hold now that I have no money everything I'm looking for will be available next week when I go hunting.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Normally no.

I let out a little cuss, and leave.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    most definitely I do, but normally I do not go with intentions of getting something specific but I do plan to look for certain things, on occasion i have and its only paid off once and that was quite recently when i tapped into my savings to get ROTF Supreme devy on clearance and scored Recon ironhide and Bludgeon as a nice bonus

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    why do you think i go to a single flea market every month just looking for a cerebros? i know i probably will never find him there, but i don't give up, i always find something there though, so that is all that matters...i just keep hoping i will find a cerebros

20. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I used to occasionally, but money's too tight to do that now.