I'm blind as a bat right now...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Jul 3, 2006.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Earlier today around 9am I was sitting in the school computer lab killing time on the board and the the left side lens of my glasses poppe out. I inspect the frame as best as i can (given my limited vision without them) and notice the screw that holds the bottom and top parts together fell out.

I ended up having to get my mom to pick me up because there is no way i can drive like this. We had to head home firstbecause some work men were coming to fix the windows on our house.

I've been having to sit with my head about a foot from the computer monitor in my room to read post and what I'm typing.

well in about 20 minutes or so we are heading to get my glasses fixed.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

2. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I wear contacts, but I've had it happen to a pair of Kenneth Cole sunglasses that I paid $80 for. Only thing was, I was walking while it happened and the lens shattered when it hit the ground.

3. rattrap007

News Credits:
    my lens is fine. just plopped right out onto the desk where the computer was. Tried wearing the lens like a monocle, but that didn't work...

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Damn, that happend to me on friday night. Right after I watch an episode of Lost.

5. rattrap007

News Credits:
    one of my first thoughts when this happened was "It's not fair.. there was time now.. It's not fair.."

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

How long have you worn glasses?

Because there's a ton of quick fixes to get them working again. Hell, I was on a trip in NM when a lens popped out and the screw went missing. It wasn't anything a paper clip and a pair of pliers couldn't fix though.

7. rattrap007

News Credits:
    didn't have MacGyver with me.. I've worn glasses for about 14 years. This the first time a lens popped out on me.

8. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

You should carry a repair kit. It's a small plastic cylinder with a screwdriver and a few replacement screws.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

The only time it happened to me is when my frame broke. That was about 9 years ago.

10. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

My frame broke maybe about a year ago. It was right when I was just sitting down to start work too. I ended up having my mom pick me up then. When this happened it was about an hour before the glasses place was going to close so by the time we got there it was too late toi get a new pair that day. I was doing the same thing you are. about a foot from the TV and computer moniter.

11. BigPrime3000

I don't understand why so many people wear glasses instead of contacts. I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade, switched to contacts in 5th grade, and have never considered wearing my glasses outside of the house since then.

12. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well for me it is easy to wear glasses. I have been wearing them for a quarter of a century or more now so I am used to them.

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I was riding the bus with Bicat earlier this year and the bus lurched she hit her Glasses on something or other and it broke the frame, I spent 2 months super gluing it together untill we got around to getting them replaced...

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I have a thing about putting something directly on my eyes every single day...

15. BigPrime3000

I get dizzy if I wear glasses too long. It limits my peripheral vision and I always end up clipping things as I walk past them.

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Then get a different sort of glasses

17. BigPrime3000

Or I could just keep wearing contacts since I prefer them anyway....

Besides, it's not just the peripheral vision, which all glasses limit unless you want a huge pair of glasses that IMO don't look good, glasses don't allow you to be as physical as you can be with contacts. I couldn't go swimming with glasses on, they'd probably get broken if I wore them playing basketball, and they'd slip too much when I got sweaty playing disc golf.

It's such a small price to pay for having to put something into your eye. You get used to the weird feeling of doing it too. I can put in/take out my contacts without a mirror pretty much as fast as I can with a mirror.

18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    ditto. anything coming near my eye freaks me out to no end..

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Never lost a screw out of mine, but I've gotten in the habit of checking the screws periodically, since my last pair wouldn't stay tight. I did manage to break my frames once, right where the screw hole is in the side. Held them together with a bent paper clip, and some tape, untill I could get new frames.

This is why I always hang on to my previous pair of glasses. I've also got a pair of computer glasses, that I can fall back on. They're basically lightly tinted reasing glasses, but my monitor sits so far back on my desk, that I had to have them cut back a diopter on the prescription. Things get fuzzy past about six or eight feet, but it's better than nothing.

20. BiCat

BiCat Banned

Go to love the smell of super glue in the morning!!