I'm beginning to notice a pattern.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Awesomus Prime, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    It seems like we're going to be introduced to, at least, one new Transformer every other episode. Thus far, the trend has been consistent (excluding the Darkness Rising miniseries).

- In Episode 6, we were introduced to Skyquake.
    - Episode 7 was about the Scraplets.
    - In Episode 8, we were introduced to Makeshift and Wheeljack.
    - Episode 9 was about the terrorists trying to steal the DNGS.
    - And now, in Episode 10, we're going to be introduced to Breakdown.

What are your guys' thoughts on this apparent trend? Do you think that it'll continue for the rest of the season? If so, do you think that it's a good thing?

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Don't bother me.
    Sounds more reasonable than 20 new characters appearing out of nowhere, as if they were always there.

3. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

It is anything like Beast Wars we will get a couple of characters then plot progression.

We should treat the premiere as one episode. The beginning. Character introductions and development will be a filler for now.

This is not ROTF where characters show up after a time-skip (Twins, Sideswipe, Arcee) or out of nowhere (Jolt).

Something Orci and Kurtzman has an opportunity now.

Plus we never did yet the origin story on how it all began in the present setting. How long has Optimus been here? What happened three years before with Megatron leaving Earth to gather the Decepticon army.

That army could still be headed for Earth.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

it's MUCH better then the episode pattern for the gi joe show;

joes find something that will clear their names!

cobra finds away to destroy it by the time of the end of the episode!

repeat!

:lol 

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah but for some reason i enjoy that series a little more.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, after watching more and more of the original gi joe lately, to me it just fails in comparison. and KEEP IN MIND i as a kid was not allowed to watch gi joe, because it was too "violent" :lol  so it is not about it being nostalgic; i just feel even though the plots are really cheesy, and the violence is way over the top; especially in the first season, where you had planes exploding BEFORE they started the 'parachute' concept. :lol 

i just like the idea of it being a secret international anti terrorism group FAR more then i enjoy it being a bunch of rogue soldiers who are trying to take down a cooperation.

while the characters are better written in the new series, not so much in the plot to me. idk, maybe the new version just takes itself way too seriously. and the original gi joe doesn't take itself seriously at all.

i mean how serious can a show take it self, when you have apes yelling "YOO JOEEE!"? :lol 

7. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    its what g1 did. not so much introduce a new character but change the story line ever episode. i like it personally because its nothing you have to figure out for more than 6 minutes. and it will probably lead up to a big all out brawl like "aimated", which i enjoyed.

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I just wish these new characters would stick around.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    As long as they get toys, I don't give a shit.

10. Xformermike

Xformermike Well-Known Member

It would be nice if some of the characters actually stuck around. Wheeljeck, gone. Skyquake, gone. Sraplets... well.. nevermind.

This was exactly what I assumed would happen to the series. It's not a big stretch to make such a claim with shows like this... But if there are only going to be 26 episodes it would be nice if at least 75% are serious plot progression rather than just one shots.

So far we've got 10 episodes we know about. 5 had a serious Transformers plot. 5 were one shots that were entertaining but could just as easily not have happened and the G1 nods in thoes one shots episodes... while amusing... do nothing for me at this point. We've been spoiled with G1 nods for years now. It's not really entertaining or shocking anymore.

We're at 50/50 plot versus one shot so far. Based on that my appreciation for this series is at about 75%... (where it was at 100% before episode 6... then each episode knocked it down a bit until now... 75%.)

If episode 11 has some sort of plot that is related to the main plot my appreciate will start to rise again. If at the end of the season there are more main plot oriented episodes than one shots my appreciation will be at 100% and this may be one of my fav series. But right now I am getting a little edgy waiting for something to actually happen. Despite that I think it's too early to draw conclusions.

We'll see I guess.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a confirmed pattern, Orci said it himself that they would introduce "characters on episode basis"

12. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I'm not complaining about it. I love me some new characters, especially ones that don't get much airtime or haven't for a long time, IE Skyquake and Wheeljack.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

To be fair, it's not an uncommon pattern for most cartoons. Especially for it's first season.

14. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'm beginning to notice another pattern.

The episodes that center on a non-Decepticon threat are bit more interesting than the ones with Cons despite Screamer being as threatening as he is entertaining to watch.
    Maybe this Friday's episode will break this pattern.

15. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

I don't mind this trend. Others have pointed out that it's used intelligently to flesh out and develop the main cast and I think it makes the introduced characters more interesting and notable.

I'm just hoping that Breakdown will become a regular and recurring cast member - I'm already getting a little tired of the Decepticons consisting of Screamer as the only talking character with a persistent characterization, a "mute" Soundwave (although this take on him is cool) and a bunch of faceless Vehicons (with hints of personalities, but nothing fleshed out).

I'd like to see more flavor added to the Decepticons by having at least one guy with personality and presence who talks/banters/argues with Starscream - we had Megatron in the miniseries and it's an element I've been really missing since that.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Introduction of new characters (especially if you're including the scraplets) is an obvious progression of a show of this time. Scraplets = new threats. Sypher = new threat. I'm sure we'll get episodes where Bulkhead wants to learn how to eat human food, but ever character is a new problem for the bots to fix. It didn't seem like Ex Machina was a new character episode, though.

17. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

New characters every other episode is cool with me! :D 

So long as some of them stick around past one episode once in a while. :p 

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So trippy seeing multiple Prowls posting back to back :D 

19. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm betting on this as Breakdown was in the comic and Adam Baldwin's casting was announced early on. Certainly Hasbro must've requested his role in WFC because of Prime. I do wonder why it's taken Breakdown this long to appear, but then again if you view Darkness Rising as one feature-length episode then he's making his debut six episodes in.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Fixed!

Also Breakdown had already appeared in the preview comic for Transformers prime.