I'm back with a new Video from the set

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by phillyfilmgirl, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MysticalMrBob

MysticalMrBob New Member

2. Novatron

Novatron Me

Sassy pretender!!!

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
  4. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I believe it was Last Year.

Well, I learned something to t'day! As much as I've went out of my way to avoid such information about ROTF, I see I cannot participate in conversation without this knowledge. That said, I didn't even know "Pretenders" were an Official TF-Universe Character and not something made up by Michael Bay for the movie. Until now, that is... :gen069:  Wikipedia.org has its uses. :D 

5. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

hmmm, pretender-rama stikes!!

6. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    awesome. I was just there a few weeks ago.

8. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Well... Such as other Transformer characters (or gimmick or GASP, character developement... Yea, Id rather see autobots sitting around chatting about Energon than a woman walkin like Jason! lol)?

I mean, if they're going with a Pretender (which I think I saw already in T3: Rise of the Machines) , they could have easily done it the 1st time... Replace Frenzy AND Scorpinox with a Pretender that served the same purpose for the story... Thus, the opposite could be said for RotF right??? Why have a Pretender when you could easily use minicons (its easy to change a story to fit certain aspects when te story hasnt yet been told)???

They didnt have time to explain female bots, so Arcee is dropped... OOOOk, but they have time to explain a Pretender (and female bots)? lol

But like you said Torque... I will give it a chance, but "if she doesnt do something incredibly important in Alice mode that she couldnt do in robot mode"... I will also, be all ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGG! hehe.

PS - Can someone tell me where they got this business about "40 robots" confirmed??? That just sounds like BS! There werent even 40 robots in the original movie toy line INCLUDING non-movie characters AND maybe repaint characters... Has to be false... Cuz if not, that makes it like what... 10 Bots vs. 30 Cons

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    40 bots came from the USA Today thing, stuff Bay had said. and as for the Pretenders not being in the first one, it was prbly cause a) they didnt feel like they needed them, as their presence was unknown-they figured they'd come in, grab the allspark, and leave. well what doesnt kill you simply makes you stronger-they came up with the idea of a pretender, and plan to use it now.

and they should use Pretenders over minicons because there are things a pretender can do that a minicon cant.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    how do we know YOU'RE not a spy to try and control the leaved footage, huh? HUH? HUH???????????

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Unless he's had quite a haircut, I don't think that's Michael Bay on the camera rig. More likely (one of) the camera operator(s).

You mean the 'Trombone Shot' like in Jaws? (move the camera in, whilst zooming the lens out).

I doubt it. The actors all seem to run past the lens as the camera moves through them to find 'Alice' before tracking back with her as she stomps after our heroes...and it seems clear that the screaming hordes are running away from something big and nasty behind her...

I think you have a point. The Pretender stuff may only be a small part of the film and thus not worth worrying about, but it seems a rather boring idea.

I mean the 'aliens look like us' thing has been in movies since the fifties, not to mention the obvious recent Terminator/Battlestar Galactica comparisons.

It opens the whole can of worms whereby anyone can be a Transformer subsitute (the President could be one! Or have they replaced Mikaela with a Decepticon Hottie Droid?!? etc, etc...).

This isn't uninteresting, but it basically broadens the concept of TFs (they could be anywhere, disguised as anything mechanical - even a toaster) to encompass a more 'Invasion of the Body-Snatchers' kind of plotting which we've all seen many times before...

The limitations of the TFs; that they can disguise themselves as machinery but not as carbon based biological entities, helps to give the stories an edge by limiting how and when the Cybertronians can communicate with humans

12. StopMotionJR

StopMotionJR Banned

News Credits:
    Pretender!!!!!

13. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Eric you have got to be shitting me. Get a grip of yourself and come back to reality.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Which do you honestly think it would take more time to believably explain:
    A human sized Decepticon infiltration unit on a planet full of humans, especially when those humans played a large role in a previous Decepticon defeat, or the fact that there is a female Transformer (for no readily apparent reason at all), when all the others are male?
    IMO, human sized sneaky dangerous infiltrator unit > dodgy female robot. EVERY time.
    Interact with humans, perhaps? Get information about the Autobots from Sam? Get close enough to kill him without arousing human suspicion? Remember that he's more than likely under close watch by the government, after what happened before.
    So. Considering she's at college with a human who
    a) made first contact with the Autobots
    b) is presumably still in contact with the Autobots
    c) killed Megatron
    and therefore a VERY high priority target for the Decepticons, for a multitude of reasons, I'd say it's bowel-shatteringly obvious why it looks like an attractive human female rather than a small spiky scary mechanoid. One of the aforementioned will attract a hormonal college kid like Sam; the other will make him run like hell and scream for Bumblebee to get his heavily armed chums to kick the crap out of it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Draven, i hate to say it, but in ur first response, you sorta missed the point.

the thing you responded too was "which is harder to explain-female robots or female robots that turn into humans" and you seem to have picked the second one.

Fortunately, they can explain the presence of female bots in this one and then they will be able to have 2 female robots introduced at the same time.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    > means greater than. Meaning that I prefer "human sized sneaky dangerous infiltrator unit". Or to put it another way, Pretender.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i know-but the pretender is female too. you had hypothetically asked which would take longer to explain-the pretender aspect or the female bot aspect. but because the pretender is also female, it would technically take longer to explain a female robot and a pretender than to explain just a female robot

UNLESS im misreading something, which is likely :) 

18. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Different Transformers do different things. Just like in G1. ;) 

QFT.

-airfox

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You are. Spectacularly, actually.
    Let me quote myself again here:
    Believably. You missed that part.

So, to put it in really simple terms:

Which is easier to explain and have people believe it:

1. A human sized decepticon disguised as a hot chick, put there to get close to Sam when he's surrounded by other humans?

OR

2. The sudden appearance of a female Transformer, when all the others are male?

I honestly don't see how I can put that any more simply. :banghead: 

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  20. mikey_ak

mikey_ak Member

Wow, some people on these boards really confuse me. To say that this footage is boring is kind of missing the point. What we're seeing is raw, unedited, uncut footage shot from an angle other than that which will be used in the film. The real work of staging a film shot will never be as fantastic as the final product, it's just an opportunity to get a peek into the process from behind the scenes.

In this scene, we don't know how far "Alice" is behind the heroes because none of this footage is in the real time we will see in the final cut. We don't know what is causing the mass panic because any events going on behind them will be either staged and filmed at a different time and place or be entirely executed within a computer. For all we know, laser beams are emitting from the girl's eyes as she walks (not likely, but it illustrates my point as to what could be missing).

For those who want robot footage NOW, I sympathize, but please tell me you understand that the robots don't actually exist. They are added in to the edited film shots by computer after everything else is done. The only way you're going to see robots before the release of the film is if someone with access to the final cuts leaks something.

I guess my point is to please take it easy on criticizing these little sneak peeks for their pacing, positioning and lack of dramatic effects. Filmmaking isn't pointing the camera and hitting record as events unfold. It requires staging specific shot sequences over and over from a multitude of angles then jigsawing all that together into an asthetic "real time" scene then adding in visual and audio effects, along with mood setting score, before finally being stiched together with all the similar work done before and after to achieve a finished, glossy product.