I'm an Idiot (just got scammed)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omega Charge, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Mclaren MT - 7 scam warning - YouTube

The above video summarizes everything that just happened to me (not my vid).

Basically, I was at the gas station about to fill up my car, when these guys drive over in a truck, and yell out the window "hey buddy it's your lucky day!" They open up the trunk and start this story about how they're heading to this auditorium to install some speakers, but had received a double order of the speakers they bought to perform the job, and now were just trying to sell them off for any money they could get before they arrived to the job site, where apparently their boss would take the extras and sell them himself.

They acted extremely urgent and kept pressuring me. I was initially really wary of it all, and told them I wasn't interested, even if it was a good deal. But they kept pushing how they're $2000 speakers and just asked how much I would be willing to give them. But I said no and the guy was starting to leave, when one of his partners jumped out and started being a lot more polite.. and explained that I could buy them now for a few hundred and resell them for lot more and make some money.

I looked at the box of speakers and it looked brand new, and the guy showed all the specs and stuff, and acted all excited about how good it was. But by this time the idea that I could buy them for a few hundred and get at least a thousand, if not the full price he was touting, was settling in. He even said his girlfriend had been looking them up on ebay and seeing them for over a thousand bucks. So I bought into it, and proceeded to walk over to an ATM and get out a few hundred dollars ($400 we agreed on, although initially the first guy had been asking for closer to a grand!) and I handed it to him cash.
    I got the speakers, and they drove off, after all shaking my hand and saying I was a great guy.

So.. long story short I get home and look it up on ebay, see people trying to get rid of them for only a couple hundred dollars, and my heart sinks. Basically my $400 is out the window, and the speakers themselves are almost worthless.

I feel like a total idiot, and looking back I should have seen a lot of signs that this wasn't for real. And my first instinct was to pass, but I just gave in after a whole ton of persuasion. saying "no" has pretty much been a weak point of mine anyway. But.. after this, I'm hoping I won't fall for this kind of thing again.

So, I'm venting a little here, and also possibly offering a warning. I looked it up and this isn't a one time incident; apparently this particular scam has been used across the country. So.. if anything similar ever comes up for anyone here, say a FIRM no!

Really kicking myself for that $400 lost.. I'm a student on a budget so it hurts.. I thought I could have made some money off this but in the end I just hope I learned a lesson. A very expensive one.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Caveat Emptor, man. Why would you think speakers sold out of a truck at a gas station would be any good in the first place?

3. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch that would have hurt real bad. Sorry to hear about this, as I've been scammed once or twice before, although on a smaller scale. Do be wary of such offers next time.

4. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Oh man that sucks. I guess this shows, don't buy stuff from random people. Sorry dude.

5. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    That's really bizarre. I would have written down the license plate when they left so I could track that.

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I had a couple experiences with guys trying to sell stuff out of the back of a van.The first was the exact same as yours where they were trying to sell speakers,and the second was some guys trying to sell meat out of a non-refrigerated van.My momma didn't raise no fool.

Sucks though dude.I guess you can chalk this up to one of life's lessons.

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Hey I can go on ebay and make 1000+ on these speakers but because I don't know you, I am going to aggressively convince you to make the money yourself and sell them to you at a loss.

Simple rule of thumb. If it sounds to good to be true it is.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    See, if this happened near a mcdonalds, you could always have offered them some chicken mcnuggets instead of the 400 dollars.

9. spikeygq

spikeygq Active Member

this happened to a buddy of mine...except it was $800 and when he tried to install them they didnt work!!!

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think I could ever get myself to buy something from some dudes out of a truck. It takes me days, if not weeks, to research a product.

One of the perks of being a god damn audio snob is that I'd be immune to this particular scam. :redface2: 

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Yeah, in hindsight I can see how it should have been obvious that it was a scam, and too good to be true. It really makes me feel really stupid now.

Would have been a good idea, but I didn't even think of it at the time, as I didn't find out about all this until I got home. They're thieves though.. and they had a bunch more speakers in the truck... I feel sorry for anyone else who falls prey to this.

But yeah I think I definitely learned from this, it's just too bad it had to be at a large scale. And thanks for the sympathy and stuff guys, makes me feel a bit better :lol 

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

This almost happened to me in Philly except it was an iPad. I offered $5 or nothing and dude walked away insulted. He comes back and says "how about $10?" I laughed and said "nah, I was just kidding, keep it". Don't buy anything from vans or individuals off the street.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Man, I don't even know what to say. I mean, wow. FUCKING WOW.

14. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Never, EVER buy anything off the back of a truck. You're always safest trusting a reputable seller.

15. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I don't understand how anyone could fall for this...

In a similar situation I wouldn't be worried about getting scammed, I'd be worried about getting robbed and wounded.

16. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that man. That sucks. Is there anyway you can find the people who sold you the speakers?

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I just...I just...don't know what to say to any of this. I mean, just your willingness to shell out $400 on the spot like that to a couple of assclowns peddling shit out of a van. Talk about a fucking impulse purchase, man. I really want to feel sorry for you. I really do. But damn. I just can't. There were so many red flags here: total strangers, extra pushy, promising you that you can flip their merchandise for a sizable profit, etc. And it's not like these guys were part of a legit business that you could return the product to for a refund. Once you handed over the cash, you were pretty much fucked.

I think the worst part about this (other than being out a couple hundred dollars) is that you did this despite having misgivings about the whole thing. You never really wanted to do this, but you didn't put your foot down. They had to twist your arm a little just to get you to relent.

18. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry that happened to you.

Did you get a chance to report this incident to the police?

I don't think your idoit and I just think you wanted those speakers really badly and you didn't stop and think.

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah!

Ugh! Yeah, you just can't do stuff like this Omega! Listen, it is hard to say no sometimes, especially when you're a nice guy and you're obviously a really nice guy! Please be careful out there! Like Fanwank said, that could've been you in the back of that truck gettin' on down the road to much worse things. Consider it a $400 dollar lesson learned the hard way and may it empower you from here on out to make it a firm point to shut down future scammers' bullshit!

20. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) TFW2005 Supporter

Instagram:
    Same here, so sketchy