"I'm an excellent driver."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omegatron, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Y'know, I was thinking the other day that most people consider themselves to be an excellent driver. Hopefully, if you know you're a sucky driver, you stay off the roads. But then the question becomes, 'What constitutes good driving?' So what are some of your ideas on good driving, for me, I...

Drive at or just over the speed limit, except under very low visibility conditions. 3 drops of rain don't make me tap the breaks, but I slow down when there's a hurricane or blizzard conditions.

Use my turn signal, both when turning from one street to another, or changing lanes.

Memorize traffic patterns in areas I frequent- I know the cycle of traffic lights, when lanes end/ begin, etc. Doing this helps me get places faster, as I'll go around other traffic when new lanes are coming up, or be able to anticipate when I get a green light, so I don't hold traffic up behind me.

Don't speed, but do accelerate quickly from traffic lights. I'm not out to prove anything with my Focus- just get to where I'm going.

Don't weave in and out of traffic very often, but I know how much space my car takes up, and if there's room for me to get out from behind a slow truck, I'll take it.

Pull out into traffic only if I know that I'll be matching an oncoming vehicle's speed by the time it gets up to me- not just pulling out if there's time for me to get out if it means oncoming traffic will have to break.

Know the fastest routes to common destinations. While it's a more direct route to take one way to the comic book shop, taking route 'B' means I encounter many fewer traffic lights, thus saving time and gas overall.

Can park between the lines- a skill that seems lacking in about 1 of 10 drivers these days. In the event I'm not between the lines, I'll back out, and make sure I am.

Anyone else?

-Tony!
    Not sleeping well tonight.

2. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

ahh....
    yeah! I hate asshole drivers here too.

3. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

We nearly got run into by someone trying to come into our lane. Apparently they didn't see the large white truck with the giant blue box on it...

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I just try to not get cocky behind the wheel, and I know you need a piece of road too.. and Ill break you off a wee bit...and Ill follow you for a while....but once you startmaking rash decisions and goin slow, and actin wierd in front of me, and playin' with me on the road....I'm gonna cut your ass off.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a shitty driver. So's my wife. Seriously, I don't pretend any differently. So I bike mostly and only drive when I have to. Mostly I just don't pay attention to the things I should.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

lane positioning is HUGE. if you're making a left hand turn in the middle of a busy road, GET THE HELL OVER TOWARDS THE MIDDLE! that way people can get around you towards the right. I agree and do a bunch of the things you mention regarding traffic patterns, so as to help maintain the flow of traffic as much as possible. I think being an excellent driver means being as aware of traffic and your surroundings as possible.

I'd say that I'm a really good driver because I do these things, but I do zone out sometimes, and actually just sideswiped a guardrail on an exit ramp a month ago because I was getting toll money out while turning on the ramp, so that takes away a few levels of good driving in my book. I then also just get my "I'm gonna drive aggressively" spurts, in which I don't cut people off but I dodge in and out of traffic to move up in line quickly. I need more gran turismo 4.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a personal pet peeve of mine. I hate it when people do it to me, so I'm very careful not to do it to others.

Also, on the routes I drive most often, I know where to be, when. I know where traffic backs up, and I avoid that lane at that time.

Also, if I pull up to a light and am going straight, I try to make an effort not to be in the right lane, just in case someone behind me wants to make a right on red.

But yeah, I don't see a lot of folks doing ANY of the things you mentioned, and it's getting worse. On I-4 in particular, we've got the oldies doing 45 and the kids doing 85... and when idiots add alcohol to the mix, there's simply no way it's going to turn out well.

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Man, noticing bad drivers is magnified when you're in a big rig. I don't know how many times idiots will pull out in front of me, cut me off, don't use their turn signals (a big pet peeve of me--it's impossible to read people's intentions without them), etc. People don't realize that big trucks can't stop on a dime, especially when they're loaded. Oh, and people flipping you off for being too slow in a truck! Grrrr. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I'm not a perfect driver, but I do consider myself a good and safe driver, using my turn signals, and parking properly among other things. It's just the morons out there you really have to be aware of, and there's far more of them than there are good drivers.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a pretty good driver. Yeah I may speed a bit (Never over the 10 mile grace period) but that little bit is forgivable. I brake for yellow and red lights. I too make sure I have plenty of time to get up to speed before pulling into traffic. I try to memorize traffic patterns as well. Only thing that really screws me up is construction.
    I signal and only change lanes one lane at a time.

I hate the shitty drivers of this area. Lots of them act like it is Nascar out there and just cut across 3 lanes of traffic at a time at 20 MPH over the limit. God there are times I wish I was a cop so I could ticket these shit heads.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I agree with everything you posted Omegatron1

11. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

For my situation I think I'm...on my way to becoming a decent driver. lol.

I was in two car crashes around the time I was really learning how to drive and it definatly set me back so I was reall figity in any car, behidn the wheel or not.

I have a problem with big cars. If I drive my Dad's T-bird, I freak. But if it's my mom's new Yaris, then I'm good. I drive well and confidently behind the wheel of smaller cars so I can actually see the dimensions of the car without having to guess.

12. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm an alright driver.

I used to have a bad habit of hugging the shoulder of the road, until I hit a mailbox.

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm the best driver on TFW2005. Just ask Mr. Roboto. He knows.

14. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

I like to think I'm a good driver. I'm English after all.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Omegatron I can pretty much say the same for myself on your whole checklist there, and I do consider myself a decent driver, though I am still a little green out there and still learning a bit, but I think I've adapted really well and so far I think I've done well, I notice I've got to be one of the only people going around the speed limit, it's too fucking slow for everyone else: OR, there's the other extreme with people doing 15-20 on a road where they should be going 40 or so you know. I swear it feels I'm the only one content to just go the speed limit

On the interstate is where it gets tough for me though, I am prone to get my speed up a little too much there, but I've tried to tone that down

16. Tiburonicus

Tiburonicus Active Member

I think I am a pretty good driver, although I did rear end someone once due to some crazy happenings a few cars up involving an old couple breaking like every traffic law in the book. I have also gotten a couple speeding tickets, though only one was deserved.

I know - excuses, excuses.

17. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I am an okay driver. The only problem I have is intense situations. For example, when you're parking in a packed parking lot, the space is tight and you have 2 cars behind you and people walking around.

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I am your typical passive-aggressive, offensive Massachusetts driver. Some of the rules in our driver's handbook are:

1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same drivers to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.
    2. Turn signals will give away your next move. Use of them in Boston may be illegal.
    3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.
    4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.
    5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance states and the other driver has nothing to lose.
    6. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.
    7. The new electronic traffic warning system signs are not there to provide useful information. They are only there to make Massachusetts look high-tech and to distract you from seeing the State Trooper with a radar gun parked on the median.
    8. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right.
    9. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable during rush hour.
    10. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Mass driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
    11. Throwing litter on the roads adds variety to the landscape and gives Adopt-a-Highway Crews something to clean up.
    12. It is assumed that State Trooper cruisers passing at high speed may be followed in the event you need make up a few minutes in your travel.
    13. Learn to swerve abruptly. Massachusetts is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to DOT, which places potholes in various locations to test drivers' reflexes.
    14. It is traditional in Massachusetts to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.
    15. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way, except in Boston where it acts as an invitation to duel or play chicken.
    16. Remember that the goal of every Massachusetts driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.
    17. Heavy snow, ice, fog, and rain are no reasons to change any of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are God's way of ensuring a natural selection process for body shops, junkyards, and new vehicle sales.

19. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm average. I have a bad habit of pumping the gas pedal. Otherwise, I'm pretty good at changing lanes with decent speed.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    My favorite recent incident was . I was in the turn lane front of the row at a red light. The turn signal comes on and the Van next to me (not in a turn lane) turns as well. I slam on my breaks to keep from getting hit and I notice the Van has a "Baby on Board" sign in the back window. What kind of stupid idiot does that crap with a baby.