I'm a newb, where's a good place to start?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by bullgates, Nov 17, 2007.

1. bullgates

bullgates Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Been reading the forums for the past few days and was amazed to see all the cool collections and love for collecting in the forum. Admittedly I don't know very much about the products but all theat really interests me are quality built pieces.

I bought a MP Prime from Walmart last year for $16 and that is what got me hooked on the line. I haven't bought any other pieces but have seen the Takara/Tomy MP series and they look really cool. I realize that this is a subjective question but what are some nice pieces to start a "good" collection with?

I really like the looks of Takara/Tomy, SoC, and Gundam if that helps narrow it down.

Any help or feedback is very much appreciated.

2. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

if MPs are what got you hooked, then keep going with that line. Masterpiece has only had three molds so far though. The Classics are a fan favorite as well. But they wont pop up again until Animated.

3. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Alternators also go well with Masterpieces, from what I've heard, so you might want to grab any of those that you can find. If you're looking for a good, cheap toy, then the Deluxe Concept Camaro Bumblebee figure from the movie line would be suitable as well, although it still seems to be very hard to find.

4. bullgates

This Bumblebee?

I'd like more "heavy duty" pieces.

5. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

Welcome to the boards friend. If MP's got you hooked, then like everyone said ALTS and Classics are the way to go. They have that old school feel with that new school look.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If it's heavy duty, higher end pieces that you want, the Alternators and Takara-Tomy Masterpiece series are the best thing to aim for. Maybe you might want to get some Leader class toys too, the Leader class Brawl and Optimus Prime are every bit as good as the Masterpiece guys.

7. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    no collection of transformers is ever truly complete without the following:

-G1 Wheelie
    -G1 Twintwist (he sucks btw, just fyi, lolz)
    -Cybertron Shortround (TRANSFORMERS: THE TOILET)

8. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

Subjectively there are two ways to collect (ignoring the nuances of the two) Collect,.......well frakkin every piece there is, or just the ones you like, so go with the MP stuff if its what got ya going. Trust me you'll probably branch out eventually,....... we all do.

9. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

welcome aboard noob.
    i'll agree that the alternators/binaltech line or classics is probably the way to go after the masterpieces.
    i also recommend the recent tru exclusive beast wars reissue primal vs. megatron.
    avoid ultimate 'bee though,i think...checked out one and it seems kinda cheaply made.the deluxe concept be is much better if indeed much smaller...

10. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Classics/RID pretty much the sweetest lines, for the MOST part simple transformations and novel alt modes/mint vehical modes. excep. car bros !!@#$%...
    Alts are nice but complex transformations are PITA.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Titanium 6" line has some nice figures, and should be relatively cheap to start getting some recent figures. And some of the movie toys have been excellent- especially the Leader-class Prime, if you can find him. Other than that, just buy which ones look good to you.

-Tony!

12. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Aye go for MP and Alternators / BT. The molds in the MP series as someone said about are pretty limited but the fact the toys are facking awesome more than makes up for that :D 

13. KYQ

KYQ Well-Known Member

Definitely the MPs, BTs and ALTs, if you want a good mix of the latest in TF toy engineering technology, with classic TF icons, and also to impress others.

Classics, and perhaps even G1s, if you want smaller stuff that's also fun to play with.

Either way unfortunately, you'd better be ready to break open that wallet.

14. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

welcome to the boards. if its in terms of availabilty, the movie line is a great starting point coz its whats out right now. but if youre willing to spend $$$ and go back to previous releases, i'd go just like what the others say, you never can go wrong with the mp and the alt/bt line. the classics are good too if you can find them.

15. bullgates

Thanks for the replies. Is there a prefered place to shop online for purchases? I see this is a nice tool : http://transformers.shoppertron.com/ . Any recommendations for favorite places to shop?

thanks again.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just hide your wallet and back away very slowly, or you'll never see money again

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards and to collecting. What series got you into Transformers/ G1 (original 1984 cartoon); Beast Wars? RID? The movie that came out this summer? Since there are literally hundreds of TF toys out there it might be a good place to start with what ever got you interested in the first place.

As for high quality, the Masterpiece line is pretty much it. I'd suggest MP-05 Megatron (a Japanese exclusive; US gun laws won't allow it to be sold in US toystores) and the recently released Wal Mart Starscream. SS is really hard to find right now but hopefully more will come out in the future.

18. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

If you can be patient, then you could hunt on EBay for some of the stuff you are looking for.

The Alternators line is not being made anymore, which sucks, but you can still find the figures at some online store or ebay.

Your best bet is to ask people here if they think you are paying too much or if it is a deal when searching for figures. They won't steer you wrong. :) 

Also, if you are searching for anything specific, you can post a wanted add in the Junkion exchange forums right on this website.

Good luck!

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get some Alternators, and some Classics figures.

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For online sales, there's our very own Junkion Exchange forum- I've pickd up quite a few nice pieces from people I somewhat trust. BigBadToyStore.com can have a large vintage selection. I'm sure there are others out there. Of course, there's always eBay, if you're looking for something specific.

-Tony!