I'm a collector but I must break the cycle

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aprim, Sep 3, 2008.

1. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok,
    So I’m was pretty much a hardcore US G1 Fan.
    Never any C/E/A. Maybe some but was always disappointed with them.

So I was pretty much chased loose/MIB US G1, trying to get my fav’s from each year.
    That was going good until
    Botcon 2006. I seen my first Black Zarak and Overlord.
    I always thought the Jap cartoon was lamb and goofy. But these guys impressed me.
    So I had to get them and Leo Kaiser. Then Star Saber, Victory Leo..
    That’s when I realized I need these in Box
    MIB/or MISB!! Must have them.

Then Masterpiece came.
    Prime-Takara MP -1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    Wal-Mart Star Scream..
    DVD Prime, 25th Prime.

Classics. That was easy enough at first. Went to Botcon got my 2007 set.
    Until Henkei
    Now we have a color colored correct Megatron/Star Scream with a painted face. Some better some worse then US release.
    If I get one, I have to get them all type of collector.
    Now
    Universe – Jap Exlusives, Botcon Exclusives. Arggggg

Animated, well we all went batshit nuts at Botcon for them. I remember a dude selling Bumblebee for 75 dollars on Sunday of last years Botcon. The dealer properly got it too.
    So now we all try and gobble up all the animated goodness still on the botcon hype for me.

With all the exclusives/repaints/ Japanese/US version of things its time to cut back.

I think the animated line is done for me. Ill only get the Dinobots and a few others.

Universe has to stop.
    I’ll only buy the few that interest me at this point.
    After some of the let downs ill be way more selective.

G1 US only, expect for Black Zarak-Overlord-Lio Kaiser Ill only chase US boxed version for the missing few that I need.
    Masterpiece. No more dups. 1 Version only.

I already stopped Binaltechs. Thank god.

As for the Damned E-HOBBY exclusives, Ill only relevant ones that interest me.

But really all of this really means nothing…Cause as soon as I see the new “whatever” MIB/MISB recolered crapoila
    my paypal will be shitting out money faster then eating bad Chinese food!

Any other collectors feel cursed this way?

2. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. Still have most of my G1 stuff when I was a kid with boxes. Only getting other G1 stuff that I want with instructions and box when I can. Not getting a Scorponok but want a Black Zarak. Have all of Cybertron line, tits(titaniums), and Star Wars TF's. At first I was getting all the movie but I cut down and only got the ones that were in the movie or ones that are really cool. Alternators and Binaltech I only get the sports cars and the Ram trucks. Classics 1.0 have them all and with Universe only Cybertron repaints and newer versions of the G1 characters I already own. Henkei, only really different paint jobs like Megatron, Astrotrain, and Grimlock. Might get Sunstreaker. Won't get any of the Henkei jets because I already have all the US and Botcon ones. Masterpiece all of them so far. E-hobby, have almost all the sports cars and Astrotrain. Botcon, have all the sets since 2005 and some of the attendee stuff like 06 Megatron, Tigatron(more Cybertron) and Classics. Animated, decided to only pick up the Dinobots. KO G1, only the ones I don't have or need their boxes like Devastator giftset. WST's, it all started with the Dinobots and went downhill after that. When I got into collecting these, I had to have all of Cybertron and GalaxyForce exclusives. At that time there wasn't too many new releases. Now there is an explosion of new stuff all the time and there is no way to have them all. So now I have to pick and choose especially having a baby now.

3. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really as I have focused my collection. If you try to collect every line you will be overwhelmed. Right now I finishing off my Alternators/Binaltech collection. Other than that the only lines I'm collecting are Classics/Henkei, G1 & BW Robot Heroes, and Masterpiece. Alternity is a possibility if that is a more than 1 figure deal.

I'd just say decide what you are going to collect and it will be easier to manage. That way if your focused, you won't be tempted by impulse buys. I'm not saying you can't have a few different pieces. But at least for me I want the figures that I buy to fit with the general theme of my collection.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't have any interest in collecting everything...not that I'm not overwhelmed since there's quite a bit of stuff coming out I'm definitely interested in, but if I tried to buy everything that had 'Transformers' slapped on the box I'd be driven crazy

5. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I used to be like this, too. But I just decided to focus my collection to a few key points and I couldn't be happier.

Sure, I still buy figures outside of the self-imposed specs for my collection, but those are only the ones I was going to buy anyway.

(Basically, I stick to U.S. Classics/Universe, Primes, Grimlocks, Megatrons, Starscreams and Ultra Magnus)

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I just focus on my favorite characters these days. I have no desire to hunt down rare version and it keeps me from being a Classics or TFA completist. It seems to be working so far.

7. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

lol, wait till 25th aniv. comes out!

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I did a turnaround for a few years back, sold of all A/E/C and RID. I collect only G1 US MIB/MOC and a few loose with their cards.

I started with animated and I will continue because they are just way to cool.

E-hobby I will never stop, I have a thing for repainted G1 toys.

BT: I am with ou aprim, I stoped after uhm..all of them except these new ones. Im not going after more.

I was about to go for Henkei but I stoped myself in the last moment.

It is only G1 for me with a touch of Animated and alot of E-hobby love.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I only buy my favorite characters, so what if Mr. X is a perfect toy? He's not Mr. Y and Y rocks in the show.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are G1 in my book, if they come out with one I dont have MIB ill buy it.

But If its Jazz, Prime, Megatron , Soundwave, Starscream ect.ect....no dice

My TFC 00-21 is enough.

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I feel that way as well. The only line I'm not even considering breaking is the henkei line; if I miss on those updated G1 now, I'll regret it forever.

Only got a handful of animated [mainly some decepticons and autobot elite guard]. MP line is already done for me, only want the seekers. Sold out my optimus quite some time ago and am trying to part with Megatron too. Really depends if I'll get Grimlock.

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never wanted to be a line completest (thank goodness). I understand that others are and that ultimately gives great pics to look at. I have focused my collection on Starscream and am happy with that. I also pick up others that interest me but feel no compulsion to do so. I still feel overwhelmed sometimes with the amount of Starscreams I have yet to get, but the quest is part of the fun.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I might be doing the reverse, selling select TF's in my collection. The ones I know I'm probably selling are:

Cybertron: Might part with VP and the firts versions of Hot Shot, Red Alert and Scattershot
    Energon: Prowl, Inferno, and Overcast are possiblitys to go, as well as both Starscreams
    BW: Jawbreaker, Ramulus are right now on my hit list
    RID: Build Team maybe
    BM: Cheetor, Deluxe Primal, Blackarichnia
    Movie: Longarm, 70's Camaro Bumblebee, Protoform Optimus/ Starscream.

Of course, it will probably take a month to clean my workspace as well as separate those on the chopping block from those who will be spared. This is mostly to get some cash as well as make room for new TF's down the line.

14. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Its a pain at times and the bad news is..... it never ends!

Oh
    2 words
    Lucky draws.............. :(