I'm a bit concerned that I may have gotten scammed on Ebay.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Basketball Jones, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The item is non-Transformers related, so it doesn't quite go on the TF@ Ebay forum.

The user's telephone number appears to work, but I noticed that the item I just purchased was identical to another item he sold last week. He used the same photo for both auctions (although the two items would look very similar).

Feedback was 22 and 100% positive (including several as a seller), so I assumed that would be enough.

Since the auction ended yesterday, I'm probably jumping the gun a bit. I'll post the auction if things continue to end badly.

Am I being paranoid just because he used the same photo for multiple sets in his auctions?

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

If the guy tends to get his hands on, and then sell, the same items over and over, I guess it makes sense to use the same photo to save time. But if I'm going to buy something, I want to see a photo of the exact item I'm bidding on, not one just like it. Since he's got 100% positive feedback, give him the benefit of the doubt until there's reason to be concerned.

3. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

If I sell duplicates on eBay I make it a point to take 2 separate pictures. However people who run businesses tend to use a "stock" picture, so if the guy is a power seller or has a 2000+ feedback I'd wait it out.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would not be worried at this point at all. I have dealt with many sellers that use the same pics. Most Sellers on ebay take a day to respond.

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I don't know- at times, it seems so much like a scam, with several sets of items that clearly do not belong together, contradictory language in the auction, and other problems.

On the other hand, if it is a scam, the scammer must be very inept- why only accept Paypal- why mandate sales tax (wouldn't this be tax fraud as well?)- why include a working telephone number?

I'm going to have more fun dealing with this guy than if I actually receive the item.