Ikea detolf questions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by skiss, Mar 30, 2012.

1. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I'm pretty much here to ask some of you with the Ikea detolf cabinets how much you think its worth? I ask because I live in Kansas and there is no single way to get these in a store unless I want to drive 6 hours to Texas and 6 hours back. Or there are some for about $160 each online shipped (this is actually the lowest I've ever seen it sold for online). Driving plus my time ends up being around the same cost as buying online. Do you guys think they are worth the trouble or that kind of money for these?

2. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

You mean like this one?
    [​IMG]

I paid about 60 for mine on sale. Not worth more than that. They're nice if you buy at least 2. I have to buy another soon. The thing i like about it is you can put a light in the top. It's not the greatest but it's very nice for the price.

3. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, I know their 100% worth it at $65. Just not sure if their worth almost x3 the price. Why I'm asking to see what everyone else has to say before I make up my mind. I keep going back and forth on the thought.

4. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I think you can order online and check to see if your nearest store has them. It would suck if you traveled to get it and they were out of stock. Also you have to remember, transporting the glass is scary! The whole ride home, every bump had me wanting to stop to check it. I've heard horror stories about these cracking... But i don't really believe them. The reason being; i had to take mine down 3 flights of stairs. I was too lazy to take it all apart so i just took out the shelves, and carried it down by myself, only holding it by pressing my hands on each side on the glass. All that pressure and nothing happened.

5. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I got one for $55 and its great at that price, but at triple, no way. Mostly because the shelves aren't adjustable. for that price, you'd want more out of it.

6. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well i have 3 of these and i think they are great. most stuff i display in them are transformers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but are they $160 per cabinet great?

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    No they are not, but I thought IKEA deliver?

9. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only on order/items under 70 or so lb's. If you want ikea to ship it they charge a standardized fee of about $400 which is complete ass. Each shelf is described to be about 90 lb's boxed. Which means the cheapest to have it shipped by UPS (usps will not ship things that heavy) is about $60. So the absolute cheapest I could get them for would be about $120, but I don't see that happening.

10. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Man, that really sucks :(  Too bad you don't have an IKEA near you, my IKEA only charges $99 to deliver:

11. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought two of them about 2 weeks ago, and love them. They are very worth the $65 I paid in store, and maybe even up to $100, but not $160. I looked at having them delivered too, and for a 2 hour drive they bumped up to $180 a piece. Since I was going to be in Denver anyways, I just hit Ikea.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have one and love it; wish I wouldve bought 2 when I drove up there but I can always go back as its only about 2 hours away from me. I also got LED lights for it which I really liked.

Wish I could help ya out; the only time I drive through Kansas is Xmas and the whole family comes along so I wouldnt have room for one of those, I dont think...

13. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, if I had an Ikea store 2 hours away I wouldn't of even thought twice about driving. But 6 hours there and 6 hours back is just out of the question for me lol. Kansas is just a no mans land when it comes to Ikea which really sucks. I love these shelves and theres really nothing else that compares to them. Amazon has a similar type curio shelf for about $120, but from what I understand they may be even cheaper quality than the Ikea brand.

14. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its np, I'm not asking for help but I appreciate the sympathy. I really just want to get some outside opinions so I don't just throw $300 down on 2 of them and end up regretting it.

I really want them so I can take out the shelves in my living room and it looks more like a collectors collections and not just a kids toy shelf.

15. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe if I we're in your situation, I would shell out an extra $100 on top of what I think they're worth.

They really are beautiful display cases, and are much larger than I anticipated.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've considered it. But I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my g/f so space is limited. I have space for vertical displays but not horizontal ones. The curio cabinet was just perfect because I could fit two side by side.