IGN's Metroid Prime 3 review

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Aug 27, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its interesting what they say about the controls, that they blow dual analogs out of the water.

just from that i'd really like to play the game, but i'm not really a metroid fan.

3. funkatron101

Ebay:
    One thing that bothers me is no multiplayer. The biggest factor for me is replay value. At just 20 hours, it seems a bit short. They highly praise the graphics, so I wonder if that took away from other game modes.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know- but 20 hours sounds fine to me. I don't know how much free time you have to play games but it's hard for me to play that much in a month, and there is a lot more then this that I want to play. The Metroid series never really focused on multiplayer anyways.

5. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    the only 2 Metroid games with Multiplayer were Echoes and Hunters, and both paled in comparison to those that focused on just single player. Metroid has always been about exploration and upgrading abilities, and those elements do not transfer to a Multiplayer expereince. to do so takes the eye off the ball. Echoes 4 player split screen was frustrating and lacked any flair and Hunters played like a Quake 3 mod.

I've always gotten great replay value off Metroid, because its highly unlikely you'll find everything on your first play through.

Bioshock has spent the last week soaking in critical praise and no one complains that doesn't have a multiplayer.

GameTrailers also gave the game a 9.6 and said its better than Prime 1.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24117.html

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Considering the fact that Super Metroid was designed to be played in less than three hours...

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It comes out today, right?

EDIT:
    It ships today so it will be out tomorrow.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, I was talking with my friend, and he has a very simple outlook on if a game is worth spending money on.

1 hour of gameplay = $1.

Most games that I would consider truly great exceed the cost of the game based on that. As I said, it is really simplified. There are exceptions to the rule I suppose.

Metroid could be an exception.

9. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't wait to pick up my pre-order tomorrow from Gamestop.

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

20 hours with 85% completion. If this is like most games, the last 15% is often the hardest stuff to overlook, so getting them may increase the time disproportionately. But I'd much rather play a fantastic 20 hour game through twice than a good 40 hour game once.

Anyway, there seems to be no shortage of multiplayer FPS out now and in the near future. I see no reason to knock on a traditionally 1P only series for leaving it out.

11. misterd

So if a really shitty game lasts 80 hours that would be a bargain?

12. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hmmm, too bad the Wii doesn't let you download demos like the PS3 does. If it did I would be all over this. I still think that based on that review though, I might just be shelling out some cash sometime in the next day or two.

13. flamepanther

There's a fatal flaw in that sytem. It rewards length and ignores quality. An hour of play in some games is worth more than an hour of play in other games. It also means that the worse you are at a game, the more that game is worth. It's possible for a good player to get through a game like Super Metroid very quickly, but I think the game is worth more than two to three dollars. Moreover, open-ended games like Tetris or The Sims would be worth an infinite amount of money, and that obviously doesn't make sense.

14. misterd

Please don't ever say that again. A publisher could be listening.

15. flamepanther

And? As if I play The Sims...

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I wouldn't play a really shitty game for 80 hours. Why? Cause its a shitty game!

I should have made myself more clear. I would never buy a game based on hours of gameplay alone. If it has a good rating, and has good replay value, I will bite.

I should also note that 1 hour of gameplay = $1 doesn't adjust the price. The price is fixed. If Tetris is $50, and I play it for 200 hours, it's still a $50 game. Based on this simply calculation, it is worth the money. That's all.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As far as multiplayer goes, I'd rather play WoW for the group aspect and interaction, since it was specifically designed for that. Anything else, I'd prefer to be single player and done really well. That was my biggest gripe with Echos. They should have just cut the multiplayer all together.
    I like the Sims :( 

18. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Getting asap.

I wonder if Retro will continue working on the next series of Metroid games.

19. flamepanther

But that means if they decided to charge $200 for Tetris, it would still be worth it?

20. funkatron101

Ebay:
    If the game was really awesome, perhaps. But competition dictates the price. Lets say there are two games that offer the same amount of replay time, the same ratings, but one is $50, and the other is $200. I'm going to pick the $50 dollar one.

The whole point is getting the most bang for your buck. For example. I think Metroid Pinball is a better valued game than say Phoenix Wright. Similarly rated, and I think they are both good games, but I can pick up an play Metroid Pinball at any time, whereas Phoenix Wright? I really have no desire to play it again.

Another example. FirePro Returns is being rereleased in the US, fully translated. Now I paid $50 for the Japanese version, and roughly another $50 in order to play it on my PS2. I downloaded an english patch that translated roughly 80% of it to english. Now I am going to buy the new release. $150 is worth it to me. I love that game.