IGN reviews DOTM game....

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Snake_eyes1975, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon - The Game Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN

Well....Even IGN confirmed exactly my fears with the game.

No reason to get out of stealth mode...turn into a robot and die...

The coop stuff is NOT in the game...no escalation....This game is dead in the water. Sure there will be sales...but online play, I will suggest, will die off like WFC very fast..

Im not suprised...Everything I heard about the game before hand, drew conclusions in my head, and apparently I was spot on.

I will still gamefly it, return it, and wait til it hits $15, and use a $5 credit to get it for $10...like I do all my game purchases that im not 100% sure about.

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Surprising. I expected worse.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Not true. At all. The stealth modes for certain characters differ in effectiveness. Sometimes it's better, sometimes not. Even then I've died just as much in that mode as I have in robot mode. It depends on how you use it.

No co-op or escalation in RotF either, but people love that game.

Betcha it won't. People still play RotF and that's a 2 and a half year old movie title.

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WFC online play died off VERY fast...theres proof of that. I have NO problem finding a server for ROTF, but end up waiting for WFC servers and end up just hosting now..WFC was released behind ROTF

5. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    It's not dead. When I was playing a little less then a month ago I had little issue finding a game of conquest or Escalation. The number of people playing may not be in the thousands, but it's certainly not dead.

6. Orion Paximus Prime

Orion Paximus Prime Banned

I reposted IGNs review elsewhere and basically agree with it 100%.

7. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I'd say that's pretty much spot on.

8. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I agree with the review also.

It's too bad, because High Moon really developed a strong fan base and respect after WFC - only to throw it all away on a half-assed movie game. Now it makes me nervous that WFC 2 will just be a rehash of a rehash.

9. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

What system are you playing on? On PS3 I still see 300-400 players at peak and have no trouble finding a game of Escalation. ROTF less so but yeah for it's age I guess it's still doing well (takes awhile to find a full game sometimes though). Not defending DOTM (haven't even played it) but I think it's false when people keep saying WFC is dead....

I think DOTM should be pretty active until at least the end of the year, I will probably be moving onto all the big blockbusters that will be out by that time anyway.

10. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:

Don't be obtuse dude, the reason why it was mention is because this a basically a copy of WfC yet some of the content is missing.

On xbox there's usually around 750 players every evening (UK time - GMT) that like 6 hours more or less than certain parts of America.

11. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    It uses the WfC engine. That doesn't mean it copies the entire game. That's like saying Gears of War is a copy of Unreal Tournament because it uses the Unreal engine.

12. Trenner Dios

There's a huge difference between using the same engine as another game, and using the exact same engine AND mechanics of another game. Many games use the Unreal engine, yet do not look or feel similar. The only major changes in DOTM from WFC are visual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

13. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Not really, no.

- Mission structure
    - ability effects
    - level design
    - voice overs
    - some sound effects (with some carried over from WfC)
    - Vehicle mode handling
    - some new animations
    - etc.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think this game is one of the best games ever created, but it's not the horrible piece of crap everyone's talking about. Plus the whole "HM was being lazy" reasoning really burns me up, because I highly doubt this game would turn out as average as it is if they had more then a few days short of a year to work on it. People think that just because they're porting most of the WfC mechanics over that it should be easy to do the rest. It's not.

14. Trenner Dios

I was definitely over-simplifying, but still, many of the changes you listed ARE visual. And the rest are pretty minimal when compared to creating a whole new engine and game mechanics. Of course, I am talking out my ass considering I'm not a game developer, so take that for what it's worth.

I've never said it was a bad game, just that it shouldn't be full price. If they were just honest about it and priced it at $39.99, I doubt I would have much to say against it. And I don't blame High Moon, I blame Activision. They didn't allow for enough development time to account for a single improvement. I can imagine it went like this:

HM: Well this is really all we could do with the time you gave us.

ACT: Awesome, that's great. Let's slap a $60 price tag on it and call it a day.

HM: Um, don't you even want to try it out or anything? I don't know that we can really justify a full price tag.

ACT: I will have your family murdererd if you ever question me again.

All of my other nitpicks about it are basically just my preference for a TF game in general. I don't think the WFC enginge transfers well to the movieverse, which is just something that surprised me.

At the end of the day, I'm never going to feel stupid for complaining about paying $60 for 1/3 of the content of WFC with no improvements. I will, however, feel stupid for getting my hopes up for a movie cash in game with a 1 year development time published by Activision.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I had really hoped DOTM would do well, given it was a High Moon game, using the WfC engine. After reading the IGN review, I was pretty bummed.

Not having Escalation is a major bummer. Probably the best mode from WfC - I even like to try it solo to see how far I can get (not far, admittedly).

I may pick this up once the price drops, I don't see a need to run out and get it (unless it's my Father's Day present). Until then, I'll wait for WfC 2, and keep playing WfC 1.

16. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

LOL! genuinely made me laugh because its probably true.

17. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If WFC never existed I probably would be a lot more interested in this game. It looks like we got a superior product with WFC and I'll probably just stick to that. DOTM may become a rental/borrow and possibly bargain bin ($10 or less) purchase at some point but it will be pretty low on the priority list for me.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Who is actually still playing ROTF on multiplayer? I couldn't find a game to enter just 6 months or so afte the game's peak. Are people revisiting it?

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I felt the single player, while still with some drawbacks, felt better structured than most of WFC, if very short. It was easier to see where you were going, it didn't strain the eyes, and the layout was far better for firefights than WFC.
    :lol  There's absolutely no proof of that at all. I can still easily find full games of Escalation.

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I do have higher hopes for WFC2 though. War For Cybertron is their baby, and they did a pretty darn good (not perfect) job with it. With some minor improvements, WFC2 can end up being a top game.

Really glad I didn't blindly went out and get the DOTM game though. A shame really because I was actually looking forward to it. :(