iGear W-01 Weapons Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by originaljk, Apr 5, 2012.

1. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

[​IMG]

The iGear W-01 Weapons Upgrade Kit is a great add-on weapons set released for Generations Kup and Reveal The Shield Perceptor. It can be purchased from most online retailers and directly from iGear's shop. The cost, if purchased directly from iGear will be $15 shipped, but be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks before it arrives at your doorstep. When purchased from any other online retailer, the price is about $17.95 plus shipping and should arrive within a week.

Packaging

[​IMG]

Much like the Kup-01 upgrade from iGear, there is no external packaging. The weapons kit comes bubble wrapped inside a white padded envelope (if purchased from iGear directly) and the weapons case serves as the obvious holder for the guns. It has some great molded details and feels very sturdy. there are handles on each side for Kup and Perceptor, which allows them to carry the case. There is also a fold down handle included on the top if you so choose to use it to move the case around.

[​IMG]
    Bottom
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Side
    [​IMG]

Armaments

[​IMG]

The Upgrade Kit comes with the ABS Arms Container with a foam insert and five guns. Included are two pistols for Kup, two pistols for Perceptor, and a sniper rifle for Perceptor based on his persona in the IDW comic books.

[​IMG]
    Kup's Pistol
    [​IMG]
    Perceptor's Pistol
    [​IMG]
    Perceptor's Sniper Rifle
    [​IMG]

Quality

The quality of the container is very good. The plastic is thick and doesn't feel brittle at all. The foam insert is very rigid and holds the weapons tightly. The 5 guns however are of lesser quality. All the guns are produced in halves and then glued together, making the guns very light and hollow. The seams left are very visible and in the case of my copy, the two halves don't entirely line up. They do however have some great molded detail and are visually appealing.

The two pistols for Kup are a different color plastic than the 3 for Perceptor. At first I thought this was done to try and match the character to his guns and differentiate between Kup and Perceptor's weapons. However, the color plastic used unfortunately just adds to the cheapness of the weapons.

[​IMG]

Overall Playability

[​IMG]

As a whole, this set is recommendable. The majority of your money is going towards the weapons container that all of the guns are held in. The guns are of a lesser quality than said container and even the foam insert. But, the addition of the smaller pistols for the characters gives the figures a lot more playability and is an overall fun idea. You get a military feel from the characters and a sense that they are two bots that shouldn't be taken lightly. I would recommend this set to anyone that has just $15 to $25 to spend. If anything the weapon's case alone if you wanted could have the foam taken out and serve as just a storage container for extra accessories. It is a neat concept and very fun to have sitting next to Kup and Perceptor on your Classics shelf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Good review and great looking pics too. Much appreciated!

3. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I would definitely have to agree with you. The box is nicer than the guns. Especially Kup's guns which to me seem to be the worst of the set. I quite like Perceptor's sniper rifle. the other little pistols are decent. For $17 shipped from iGear I can't complain too much though. They're decent enough for the price. I personally prefer Process' shapeways Kup pistols.... Kup Pistols (pair) by process on Shapeways I think they have a better overall design.

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Cool review. Makes me second passing on these.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    this thread needs more pics of Perceptor holding the rifle

6. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

As per Torque's request, I've added a couple of pictures of Perceptor holding his rifle.

7. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Act Think Speak As If It Was Your Last Breath

Ebay:
    Grabbed the last 1 that BBTS had on their sale the other day, cant wait to get it. I figured for the price I couldnt go wrong.

8. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

If there is any additional pictures you would like to see feel free to leave the request in the replys.

9. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Did the weapons container at least come shrink wrapped in clear plastic? Or really nothing at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

Yes. The weapons were included inside the container, that was covered in bubble wrap, and shipped inside a padded mailing envelope. Everything arrived safely from China, which is where it will ship from if purchased directly from iGear. If it is purchased from anyone else (such as TFSource or BBTS) it will probably be shipped within a small box and bubble wrapped.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    VERY cool

12. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I've finally decided to get these, Next week, These will be purchased.

13. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

It is an overall great purchase. Perceptor recieves a much needed weapon or three. Kup gets a more G1-ish pistol and the weapons case gives you added storage for other unneeded things (like maybe Bumblebee's jetski) if the foam insert is removed.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I believe it may be possible to pop the lid of the case and use it as a riot shield.

15. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

I never would've thought to do that. It is possible to pop the top off, but the side that would act as the sheild doesn't have any great molded details to it. It wouldn't be a pretty riot shield. I thought maybe you could pop the handle off also and flip it to the under side, but that is also not possible. That's a great thought though for those that would like to do it.

16. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Do you have any Alternators? Was curious if any of these weapons would work with them.

17. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

I do not have any Alternators. All of the weapons though are made for 5mm peg holes and hands. This means anything from the Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations lines and most third party toys. I'm not sure about Alternators hand sizes.