iGear Toys PP01 series prototype review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Wheel_Jack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    I recently got something pretty exciting in the mail from china, a pre-production prototype of the iGears PP01 series. Since I think I’m one of if not the first to get a hold of one of these I figured I would share a closer look of what this thing looks and feels like. One thing to note is that this is a prototype so one would imagine there might be slight changes in the final product.

-First Look: This is a scaled down version of MP01. Nothing appears to be simplified. Everything down to the tire suspension, to the complex elbow and knee joints, to the rivets and panel lines is there.

-Size: PP01 stands at 8.5 inches or about 21.59 cm. Shoulder width is about 4.5 inches (11.43 cm). In truck mode he’s 6.25 inches (15.88 cm). According to my calculations the truck mode sits at just about 1/39 scale to a standard COE truck from the 80s. I have him pictured with a 1/32 scale model kit from the same era. This was a bit of a bummer for me cuz I’m a huge 1/32 nut but the bot mode still scales up nicely with the classics/verse lineup. He’s in and about hasbro’s ultra class scale, standing shoulder to shoulder with Silverbolt.

-Materials: PP01 appears to be made of a slightly more delicate plastic than has/tak grade but substantially better than any “ko” I’ve seen. I own CM’s relatively new Brave Combat Calibur (Roadbuster) and the plastic seems to be of the same quality. PP01 has no metal parts except for pins and screws. I transformed him several times with no issue and even accidentally dropped him once on my kitchen ceramic floor. A “DOH!” moment but nothing broke. The head popped off the ball joint but popped back on easily enough. The front windows are clear with no foggy areas. Tires are rubber. Detail on everything is spot on and crisp with no warping or air bubbles.

-Joints: On a 1-10 scale with 1 being ridiculously tight and 10 being so loose that limbs can’t hold their own weight, an ideal figure in my opinion would be somewhere in the 5-6 range. This prototype is about 5. I never had to force anything while transforming or posing him. The joints are loose enough to move around but tight enough to hold their position.

-Paint: N/A This prototype is unpainted.

-Extras: PP01 came in with some extra pieces. A miniature Walther P38 with a silencer, scope and all the trimmings, a clear axe, an arguably more g1 accurate head to switch out the head, an extra set of hands (a kitbasher’s dream come true), and 2 laser blasters to fit both types of hands.

Overall: If you like MP01 and always wanted one to fit in with your classics/universe/generations line, here you go. If you wanted an MP01 to better fit with your MP seekers, this fits pretty well also. If you didn’t like MP01, then you won’t like this. Personally, I’m a G1er through and through and the classic’s line is when I became reenergized about TFs. I’m big on “believable” scale with my collection as well. I use the deluxe style cars with the MP seekers. I can only speak for myself but for me, this fits in nicely.

I still have the figure if you guys have any specific questions that I didn’t cover. Thanks for reading this guys. I hope this helps you in making a decision one way or another. Or justifies the decision you made, one way or another.

cheers!

here are some images from a full gallery I have at sector70

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Too cool. Maybe should go in review section though (not sure)

Absolutely perfect size. earlier i said i might get one, but now its certain I WILL OWN YOU faith leader (or nemesis Version)

Would you say the plastic is about shadow/city commander quality?

3. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Wheel Jack :thumb 
    I'm big into scale as well and I do the same with displaying deluxe style cars with my Seekers.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so its worth 100 bucks in your opinion?

5. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like that it's as tall as Universe 2.0 Silverbolt.

No matrix?

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How's the spine? That's the one area I'm somewhat worried about, since on the original, it's a fairly thin sheet of diecast. Here, scaled-down, and in plastic, I don't know how well it'll hold up.

7. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    TFarCool, you're probably right. Mod's please move to appropriate section. sorry about the hassle. I don't own shadow city/comander. but it's pretty good. I looks and feels just fine. like I said I dropped it and almost crapped my pants but it was fine.

olds, great minds think alike. :) 

chrisr291, that's all relative. if you think a rare-ish toy is worth a little extra then yes. but I think he's pretty fairly priced. I wish it was just a tad bigger but this is totally worth it to me.

shelfwarmercon, :(  no matrix. well not in the prototype package. not sure about the actual release. The plastic casing only had compartments for some of the accessories. the others where in taped bags in the box.

mx, not sure what part you're exactly talking about but if it's the part that flips his torso back for truck mode it seems fine. I just tested it and I was a tad rough with it. if it's a different part let me know and I'll check it out. this figure is not even close to being as heavy as MP cuz of the lack of die cast so that might help with some of the worrisome areas.

cheers guys

8. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Does the mouth plate still move?

9. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    yep, the antennae do as well. :) 

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome update, buddy :)  I think you give ol' miniPrime a fair shake with your review :) 

11. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
  12. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Wow, fantastic! Thanks for the speedy response!

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I meant his lower back. On the original figure, his back frame is a thin sheet of diecast metal with fairly minimal structural support. Just wondering how it holds up when it's just plastic.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

Oh man, he looks awesome and the size is perfect for displaying with deluxe classics.

15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I think he's still too big for Classics. But he's definitely of great size to work with Alts (some like the real deal's size compared to them, but I don't like the idea of OP towering over his troops) and the other Masterpieces.

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish he'd been exactly 1/32 for display with my Alternity cars but this will have to do for now.

Actually, would love to see a pic of him next to an Alternity in both modes (ideally Bumblebee).

17. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Thanks Wheel_Jack for the review!!

19. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Is this co's website down--been hacked?? It looks that way.

20. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    mx, I've bent it back and forth for about a minute. holds up pretty good. like I said the weight of this figure isn't like mp01, so the stress on the those hinges isn't the same. I think it'll hold up fine. he might be too small for alts.
    here's a pic with univ. smokescreen
    [​IMG]

steve J, I don't own any alternity bots but I think he would size up ok. he's pretty tall compared two his vehicle mode. telescopic legs make a big difference.

cheers guys