iGear PP03J "Jet" (aka MP Ramjet) review...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by payton34, May 31, 2011.

1. apooh812

apooh812 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you. I'm going to get the clear ones as well.

2. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used the clear for mine too. Looks WAY better on these.

- Gregg

3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I decided a long while ago to put silver-edge Con symbols on my MP seekers, mainly because MP Skywarp and Thundercracker are such dark plastic that you can hardly see the regular symbols. Plus the silver really harks back to their G1 toy counterparts.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can certainly see the reasoning there. I will want mine to match the others, though. I kinda like the effect that the faction symbols kinda blend into the design, rather than stand out.

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ever since I saw this commercial as a kid (Transformers '85 Autobot Cars, Thrust & Dirge Commercial w/ Action Card Tag - YouTube), I thought Thrust and Dirge were awesome. Imagine my surprise when I received neither for my 10th birthday - instead I get Ramjet, who we had never heard of. Without the internet or an updated toy catalog, tv commercials and cartoons were the only thing we had to go by as far as information goes.

I made the best of it, and grew to like that weird white jet with the cool shaped wings. I guess I wasn't alone, since it seems to me that Ramjet is more popular than the other two coneheads. I'm not a complete seeker collector, preferring to focus on Skywarp and Thundercracker, but I have always liked Ramjet, and I have loved the MP Seeker mold since it first came out. I followed iGear's conehead project at a distance, always taking a wait and see approach since there were so many things that could have derailed this project, and so many things that could have gone wrong with the finished product. After initial impressions of Ramjet (and the test models for the other two) were good, I figured it was time to increase the size of the masterpiece fleet.

Other people have done good reviews and good pictures. I can only echo the prevailing sentiment that this is a job very well done by iGear - in nearly every area, this feels like an official release. I snapped some (grainy) pictures just to highlight a few differences for people curious about this mold, or for those who know the mold well to see some of the differences:

The rumors that iGear stole/borrowed/rented the official mold are believable - but in a lot of cases, this mold fits together better. Here is a shot of a common problem with both Takara MP-06 and MP-07, as well as US Skywarp - I call it the hunchback:
    [​IMG]
    The center plate doesn't like to stay down, either at the cockpit sode or at the rear where it meets the lower leg assembly. On my Ramjet, this fits together a lot better:
    [​IMG]

Other areas like the flaps on the side of the intakes, and the front cockpit canopy piece were also problematic on the official molds, but not so with Ramjet.

I like the little details here and there - under the engine cowls, or the fact that they made the ramjet thrusters on the wings the same ball-jointed nozzles as the regular jets/heels:
    [​IMG]

And then there's the infamous seeker wing hinges. If you don't already know then I won't go into it here, because nearly everyone already knows: those joints suck, and are prone to splitting at the pins. I can't tell if there's anything different with the center hinge piece. It looks like there's nothing different with the wing construction, but the wings move easier than they normally do on the official fragile mold.

[​IMG]

When I was taking the nosecone off (more on that in a minute), I did notice that the pin for the nosecone is smooth, whereas the official molds use a knurled pin in that spot, like they do in most places. Since the nosecone pin on Ramjet is smooth, I'm wondering if the wing hinges also have smooth pins, which would eliminate a lot of the potential for the hinges to split. I emailed iGear and asked what the differences are, but I have not heard back from them, and doubt that I ever will.

I didn't snap pictures of the leg mod that removes the hip kibble and slides along the leg instead, but I love it. I never got around to doing that on my official ones, and if iGear ever does the original seeker trio in this mold, I'll buy without a second thought for that reason alone. I also like the wrist communicator flaps, I should have snapped pics of those. if anyone is keeping score, I got Soundwave and Megatron.

One unfortunate thing is that the weapon pegs are not the same as the official molds - seeker null rays will not fit in any of Ramjet's points, since Ramjet uses a smaller peg:

[​IMG]
    in the pic above, the official MP-06 (Skywarp) missile is at the top, PP-03J (Ramjet) is at the bottom. Smaller diameter, but it was nice of them to make it a little bit longer. Although the display base is very similar (but not exact) to the official ones, it includes the smaller holes.

Speaking of the display base - I'm a bit 'meh' on it. I know it can't have the embossed Decepticon sigil, though it kinda seems like a moot point when you're already this deep into the infringement pool. The mounting arm that holds the figure attaches nicely in both modes, but it's a little too large to fit into the display base. I tried the clear arm from an official release, and it does work, but will slide out very easily - you can just tip the base over and the official arm will slide out of the KO base. I'll have to mod one arm or the other.

Stickers: Not bad, not great. They included a ton of the 'no step' stencils that are tampos on the Takara versions, which make them look a lot more realistic than the US releases. I'll probably put those on there at some point. I would really love to have the Decepticon air force logos and the squadron emblems, but I don't have any left from the official Takara sheets - hopefully I can track down repros or trade squadron stickers:
    [​IMG]
    If you're not using that squadron shield and need more of the ones you are using, let me know and we can trade.

I don't know what I'll do with the horse head logo - I would like to see Reprolabels (or anyone else) include the realistic tailfin letters for the coneheads in the inevitable upgrade set that they will release, like these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The only cosmetic drawback I can find is that the nosecone should have been black, like others have shown. Like I said above, I popped the nosecone off and started painting it last night, otherwise I would have provided a finished pic.

And finally, one last little quibble, which might not even be a problem: I used to think the MP Seeker mold was fragile, both because of its funky nature and because of the wing hinge problem. Once I had several clearanced US Skywarps to play with and disassemble, I learned all of the strengths and weaknesses of the mold to the point where I'm not afraid of it anymore. But Ramjet's wings/lower legs are the only thing I would worry about: This small hinge is the only thing holding the wing on there. it may be nothing to worry about, but who knows.
    [​IMG]

Overall? Love it love it love it. I can't wait until I can afford to grab Dirge and Thrust. It looks beautiful just sitting on the display stand in alt mode. The paint apps are nicely done, the mold fits together well, I am extremely happy. I don't care if it's a KO, I don't care if it's infringing, this is what I wished for and dreamed of as a kid playing with the original Ramjet and watching the cartoon after school.

6. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

Oh how I wish I could afford to get Ramjet. I prefer Ramjet to Dirge, but was really excited for the upcoming (at the time) Generations Dirge, and so chose Elegy over Ramjet as the one iGear seeker I could afford to buy, and I am looking forward to Elegy's arrival. Jet's at the top of my want list for Third Party figures (along with Exgraver), but sadly, it's probably going to be a very long time before I can get one.
    Maybe I should get a second job to fund my TF collection. I hear there's a lot of money in being a hitman.

7. sicklysunstorm

sicklysunstorm Member

This is my first post on here. I'd ordered the set of 3 + SunStorm and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've had notice that they're on their way, so can't wait to put them with my others... I was looking for someone reviewing the first one to get assurance that they're quality and am really glad I found the frank reviews in this thread.

The masterpiece range is one that I concentrate on, and I'm only 3 short of completing the full set including various variants of the same moulds... Thundercracker being one of them. I stupidly delayed and delayed buying one, and now can't get them without spending a LOT - bah! Once these seekers arrive, I'll have the full set bar him, so will have to find him sharpish to complete the full set of them... that and MP10 and MP09B will skin my wallet alive this year!!

8. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I unfortunately missed the 3 pack, but I've got Ramjet and Thrust coming, and will likely get Dirge and Sunstorm when my next overtime cheque clears.

Really looking forward to rounding out my Seeker Armada.

9. OptimusTimelord

Yeah my main collection is Masterpieces too these days (mainly that and third party stuff). Thundercracker is an odd one; I got him on release and wasn't impressed to be honest. Mine has the common problem of the chest vents being the wrong way round, plus I'm not very keen on the blue they used - it's kind of murky... would have preferred a darker, more G1 toy metallic blue, or a lighter toon-accurate french blue. That and he has dark blue arms/feet where they should have been black. Anyway, I'm amazed he's become as pricey on the aftermarket as he has. Down to Hasbro not releasing a version I suppose.

My final two iGear coneheads should arrive any day now, can't wait! Don't think I'll be bothering with Sunstorm though. And oh yeah, welcome to the boards! :thumbs2: 

10. sicklysunstorm

sicklysunstorm Member

cheers for the welcome OptimusTimelord.

It is so annoying about Thundercracker.... I could have picked a Thundercracker up for about £80 and just as I had the money available, he disappeared and was suddenly £150+(!) If Hasbro did their version, I would definitely pick that up but would still have to get the Takara one too to ensure my set is fully complete. I'm a sucker for variants, even when it's something as simple as a slightly different box or colour difference. I know many collectors don't bother when they have one example of a figure, but I keep all mine in boxes and like the pleasure of seeing all the boxes and variants lined up in order...

As well as masterpieces, I'm currently completing my Animated set. I only need 8 more for the Hasbro complete range, then about 10 or so for the Japanese range. Of course, these recent ones from Botcon 2011 (Toxitron, Sideswipe, Fisitron, Autotrooper and The Stunticons) are also on the radar now too, so by this Christmas my wallet will have taken a serious bash.

I've been a sucker for lots of third party stuff too this past year... aswell as the iGear seekers, I'm looking at their not-Seaspray and not-Huffer, as well as not-Ironhide and not-Ratchet, though I must admit that Ironhide and Ratchet are quite pricey given their size. I received my first FP not-Insecticon Thundershred this morning too and have the other two on pre-order. Thundershred is awesome!

I already have a custom MP SunStorm, but it's not totally amazing, just OK, so when I saw that iGear were [not]making him, I had to order him to add to the seeker set. I'm thinking of changing the custom into an AcidStorm or IceStorm when the iGear one arrives, we'll see.

BTW - does anyone on here know of a company similar to Reprolabels who make custom TF boxes? I saw a while ago someone on ebay who was making Takara style custom MP boxes with the Wal-Mart Starscream on the box-art and made so you could slide the Wal-Mart box inside, but I never added it to my watchlist so can't find whoever had listed them. I would like to find somewhere that could make Takara style MP boxes for the other 4 seekers I have coming as that would really add to the look of the boxes on my shelf.

11. OptimusTimelord

I forgot to say, there is a rumour that iGear are going to do Thundercracker/Skywarp/Starscream in their MP seeker line. Might be worth getting for the improvements they made to the mold. But it sounds like you'll still want the Takara TC as well anyway!
    I've seen that Starscream custom box on eBay a few times. Was tempted, but not quite tempted enough... I suspect you'd be paying rather a lot more for the guy to custom make all the extra seeker boxes though. I don't know of any company that actually does custom boxes (except the odd fanmade ones for WST and such).

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    *Waits patiently for MP Sunstorm to be released so he can finally get all the new MP Seekers in one shot*:p 

13. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

What is a good price for this???

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "best" price for this is if you had pre-ordered the 3 pack at TFSource when it was available. At $340, that puts it at about $113 per Conehead, compared to the $130 pricetag for the singles.

I think it's still cheaper to buy these guys at TFSource rather than through iGear themselves. $130 + shipping, compared to $150 shipped. Depends on how much the shipping rates are, I guess. If you're domestic, then you won't have to worry about playing the Customs lottery, either.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's why I went though TFSource. Plus, I've never had a problem thinking whether or not something will get to me or not.

I'm just playing the waiting game now. It's not a fun game, but the ending will rock.

16. nemesisconvoy

I just picked it up from TFSource on ebay for $139 shipped. cans someone provide the link for the Reprolabels set for this? I cant seen to find it.

17. nemesisconvoy

Im with that!!!!

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I don't think there's a Reprolabels set for these yet. They come with their own stickers, loaded with all the warning decals and military markings that were tampoed on the Takara Seekers. You'll have to supply sigils yourself.

19. nemesisconvoy

It comes with the "no step" stencils and such? Holy crap, thats cool!!!!

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I'm kinda hoping there's spares of those that I can stick on Starscream as well. The G1-coloured version looks a little bare compared to Takara Skywarp and Thundercracker.

I really like the Chess Knight callsign they gave Ramjet, though. I think that's meant to be a reference to his "spotlight" episode, A Decepticon in King Arthur's Court.