iGear MW-01 Spray and MW-02 Rager Review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Napalm, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    First time reviewing so be gentle with my frail and delicate ego.

iGear's first foray into updating classic G1 characters from scratch rather than their more dubious practices proves to be quite the success..

Very impressed with these two, more than I thought I would be.

Alt modes are spot on likenesses with good colour choices.
    Spray is more successful in this mode, probably because a hovercraft is more interesting than a toy truck which the original Huffer toy was based on(pre Transformers).
    Rager could've done with having his hubcaps painted, and his wheels are very tight.

[​IMG]

Transformations are your simple 'unfold legs, pop out arms, flip down feet' but due to the size of the figures, simplicity is what works best.

[​IMG]

The resulting robot modes feature ball jointed heads, shoulders and elbows, ball jointed hips, a bend at the knee and in Spray's case, ball jointed ankles and waist.

Spray comes with a more than apt harpoon gun, while Rager dual wields twin pistols. Nether weapon can be stored in alt mode, so don't lose them, eh?

[​IMG]

Ragers head is very difficult to move, despite being on a ball joint - the amount of space inside there isn't much to accomodate larger fingers.

[​IMG]

They have a great range of motion and are cracking updates of their original characters, going for a more cartoon accurate appearance while still being able to fit in with your Classics collection.

Scale wise, they are bigger than I thought..

[​IMG]

..more Cyberverse Commander size than Legend, but the picture says more than a thousand words could. Either way, I have no problem with them joining my Classics shelf.

Overall, money well spent. Get a reprolabel slapped on them and they're good to go kick Decepti-cans.

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

My Rager is on the way! :D 

Spray's design is a bit too 'busy' IMO but still looks decent. Gave him a miss as I have the Takara G1 colours version of voyager Seaspray for my classics shelf.
    Rager/Huffer looks awesome though, but you're right - he does need the Autobot logo to spruce him up.

Awesome little figures, and for the price, forget about it!

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I thought they were bigger. Very small!

4. gijoeben1

gijoeben1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for posting pics! Nice review. I never cared for the original Huffer toy, but liked his character on the cartoon. Can't wait for these to get here! Hopefully next week!

5. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Thanks for the pics, can't wait to get mine!

I wasn't very interested in Spray when they went into pre-order, but I ordered it anyway because it was so cheap. Plus if they end up doing most of the minibots, it'll be nice to have them all with the same size and design.

I really love Rager though, he will definitly fill a spot in my collection!

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    God, I have a feeling my POL isnt gonna last very long. I have always been a fan of Huffer, and this update looks fantastic. Almost makes me wish I had ordered directly from igear so that I would have a nice surprise in the mailbox. Ah well. Thanks for the review, cant wait to get mine.

7. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rager is nice - nice solid ball joints and a waist swivel, I like that they put extra effort into making his bio correct for him - those guns seem to be super tight in the fists though.
    If Hasbro legends were like this I'd actually buy the things!

[​IMG]

8. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems there is more love for Ranger than Spray from what I have been reading. I have them both and Spray is my favorite of the two. I like them both a lot though.

9. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seaspray is a bit of a dick though, what with turning into a fishman and falling in love with a fishgirl.
    Minibots like our women don't they? Powerglide proper went for it.

10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ordered Rager from IGear but held out on Spray in hopes of seeing more of Maketoy's version. Gotta say that Maketoy's Seaspray does look better, but I wish it had fist holes and a gun like MW-01.

11. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

Did anyone get 2 left fists?
    Or did I get a super special limited edition?

12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Got mine today and think they're f'ing fantastic!

Can't wait for the rest!

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reviews. Quick question- it looks like Seasrpray there has very little in the way of ankles. Doe it make him hard to pose without falling backwards at all?

14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I've had no problems so far. The wide feet give him a solid base and he can be posed on one leg very well and Seaspray is just a lot of fun to mess around with.

Considering the accuracy to the source material, the poseability in comparison to official products in a similar scale and the pricing these could well be one of the greatest achievements by a 3rd party company yet.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ That's good, and I agree that for the price they did a great job.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two left fists on spray? Seems like a very odd qc miss because of the way he transformers.

17. nOObiE do0

No I have 2 left fists on huffer.
    Hopefully bbts can send me a right fist.
    The pin is super loose so I can easily replace it.

18. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I don't have Spray yet but I'll be adding him to my POL as soon as I find something else worth ordering/pre-ordering on BBTS (that and as soon as I don't have a big ass Christmas bill to pay off).

I love the idea of commander-class minibots so for me these are absolutely perfect. I really can't wait for Cosmos and Brawn, two of my favorites I seriously doubt Hasbro is going to revisit any time soon.

The pin has a tendency to back out a bit on mine too, though I thankfully have the correct fists. I haven't noticed any serious quality control issues, other than the tab the locks the legs together having a few stress marks (they don't go all the way through so it's unlikely to snap off if I'm not careless) so I'd say any fans weary of such things with third party products shouldn't worry, especially at this price.

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Still waiting for mine to arrive from IGear. I'm thinking I may just go the BBTS route with the next set of minis, mine didn't even get shipped until Tuesday of this week*sigh*, at least with BBTS they would've been here by now even if they are more expensive there.

20. nOObiE do0

Oh I dont think the quality is bad at all.I was just the unfortunate one to get 2 of the same fist.
    Maybe someone will have 2 right fists soon..lol