iGear IG-TF004(A+B) - Masterpiece Trailer & Roller

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TM2 D-bot, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All debates over iGear's originality or anything else about whether they come up with their own ideas aside, this product is a direct and obvious bootleg of the MP-04 trailer. There's simply no denying that they changed a very minor detail moldings, added the spring-out ramp, and called it a day.

Compare these pics (borrowed from Seibertron, since they had the best gallery). MP-04 on the left, iGear on the right.

Overall trailer. Notice that all the pin holes, all the rectangualr openings, all the hinges are in the exact same spots. Identical wheelbases. Note also that iGear's support-struts have the exact same "push down" piece to drop the base and make them touch the ground in order to support the sides of the trailer when deployed. There looks to be very slight changes in the way the stripes and the Autobot emblem intersect, and that's it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Repair Drone. Absolutely identical. In fact, the painted Repair Drone on their proto makes me think they just took it straight out of the original for demonstration, since it doesn't seem to have any detail alterations like the side panels and other parts do.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rifle Storage - exactly the same:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Megatron Gun & Axe Storage - the same:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Interior side-panel details. Pretty much identical for the entire bottom 2/3 of the length! They made some small changes up top. For instance, the large rectangle with a diagonal slash in it (right around the level of Convoy's shoulder) on MP-04 is now two smaller rectangles with diagonal slashes. At the very top, you can see the small vents with angles on them on MP-04 were extended by iGear into longer, rectangular vents.
    EDIT: As Polenicus noted, the trailer is a bit longer overall. It seems they pretty much just stretched the trailer lengthwise. If you look at the Convoy's gun in iGear's picture, it doesn't look like it actually lines up anymore with the clips in the trailer, which now seem to be pulled too far apart. That may not be the case, but it sure looks that way. The height of the trailer may also be a little bigger, explaining why it looks so out of scale with Convoy (way too tall compared to the cab in vehicle mode). It would also explain why all the identical details are still the same proportionally instad of stretched with the trailer's length. However, the added truck-mode height may just come from the modified undercarriage having to accomodate the spring-loaded ramp.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to convince you to like the trailer, or IGear for that matter, I'm just asking you to keep an open mind, and not to dismiss new aftermarket products based on the criteria that they've already been done before.

Again, they were inspired by THS-02, they admit this. Looking at my THS-02, it's close, but not identical. Likewise, the two Autoscouts differ in many regards. Obviously it's not a coincidence that these products are coming out at the same time, and it's fair to criticize IGear for not coming up with more orignal products. But it is not fair, nor correct, to call them KOs.

And wouldn't bigger WST Dinobots be regular dinobots? When they actually knock these off, you'll have a legitimate argument there.

Trust me, I'm must more of a whore for Fansproject stuff than Igear. :thumbs2: 

3. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    it was a statement and not only directed @ u, Just something I noticed before.

Well on the 2nd, I can see your points as its funny and true @ the same time.

4. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well the WST dino's I guess you could say are mini KO's but they do have some minor changes, But I am more getting @ how Just I Toys came up with original designs (the items I stated previous) I gear has not really done anything new?

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I could care less about creativity. This thing is badass. will I get it? i don't know. I recently bought a MP-04 trailer for my MP-01. But if the price is right I might just get it.

6. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    If all you want is another trailer, go for it. If you want something different from what you already have, you'll be disappointed I think, based on what I said previously.

7. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well there you have it, my points I guess do count for something. Thanks for putting the proof in da pudding Sidecutty lol..

8. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Seriously, why the hate? It feels like it's MP-04 owners that are bitter that they spent $250 on it that everyone else is getting it for significantly cheaper.

I bought 20th Anny Prime. I bought the chrome long smokestacks. And I'll buy this. Because I'm not spending $250 on MP-04.

9. Backstop

News Credits:
    how do you know this will not be $250?

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I was going to point this out myself, but you seem to have done a much better job of making the point, Sidecutter.

As an owner of the MP-04 trailer I can say that I recognized this IMMEDIATELY as a knock-off of the MP-04 trailer. It's been lengthened, and the old fold-down ramp replaced by the spring-loaded one. The interior detail is almost the same, and the weapons racks and stability arms are dead giveaways.

The turret I'm assuming is from an MP-04 trailer, and is functioning as a placeholder until they can make their own copy of it (Probably there to make sure the holes in the top and front of trailer line up so they close nicely around the turret arm).

The only major difference seems to be they lengthened it.

I suppose this is a good thing for those who have MP-01 and need a trailer, but being a DIRECT knock off of an existing (And currently available) product rather than a custom-made accessory, this does raise some concerns.

11. process

News Credits:
    They spell this all out on the website:

Innovation, not invention, is the key word here. Ultimately, it's still a prototype, so we're just going to have to wait and see what else they can do with it.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still find it funny their calling it "battle rollar" which is their competition's product name.

And maybe the whole "BC" thing is because we're suppose to grow the best green leafs, which could be giving some of these groups their "inspiration". :p 

13. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    Looking again, you're right, it's just a smidge longer, like an inch or so. The detailing on the interior probably gets altered right about where they "slipped in" the extra, explaining why it's absolutely identical for most of the length.

14. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    I like how Prime's head looks more "anime"(?) in this pic, kind of gundam-like. Mine doesn't look that sharp

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:

Oh man, didn't see your post there. Man, the trailers are almost identical. If its cheap I'll get it. But if they want more than $75 for it I'll pass. Kinda wish i knew this was coming before buying my MP-04 trailer..

16. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    They weren't inspired by anything. If anyone was inspired by the T.H.S. 02 trailer, it was Takara, because this IS the MP-04 trailer. It's identical down to the detailing on the side and doors, and much of the interior. It's simply been sized up a bit.

If IGear is claiming inspiration from the THS trailer, it's for the spring-loaded ramp and nothing more.

17. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well if it comes with a flag I might consider buying it lol....

they cant even come up with there own idea? why the f*&k would they have brains to think up a name? common there Venk your a smart cookie lol.....

18. process

News Credits:
    Don't forget the gears.

/nitpick :wink: 

Only if it turns into a hammer.

And yea, I can't explain the Rollar thing.

19. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way this trailer looks like the other one, I wouldn't be surprised if Roller had a robot mode.

20. Backstop

News Credits:
    :wink:  That news is expected Monday lol....