IGear Faith Leader: 2nd run - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Hey guys, really wondering about this toy.... I know the first run had a lot of Q.C. issues, but I haven't read much about the second run... does anyone here who has him have any thoughts?

If it helps, I also collect mostly classics.

2. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Hey thanks!

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I bought the last run of the 2nd Edition and opened him up just last weekend, and I have to admit I'm mightily impressed. The QC of the plastic was my main concern since he is noticeably lighter and has less presence physically than a HasTak figure of comparable size. He seems fragile but I don't feel I'll break him as long as I'm careful with the transformation bits (he'll stay in bot mode 99.9% of the time for me anyway).

That said, Faith Leader is a great figure. Nothing was broken on mine at all, though there are a few tiny stress marks in the plastic and the stray paint app here and there, but nothing major or obviously glaring (HasTak toys have these exact same issues as well, so it's to be expected).

He poses just fine, doesn't feel unbalanced (just light), and looks fantastic, especially next to G1-colored MP Starscream or any of the MP Seeker mold (they're both the same height counting from their feet to the top of their heads, not including shoulder jet intakes or antennae). Prime does have a big head (or it could be the Seekers have tiny heads) but they display incredibly well together just for scale and style alone.

Added bonus is the scaled down Megatron pistol that comes with PP01; this fits perfectly into any MP Seeker's hand (unlike the oversized giant Megs gun that comes with the original MP Prime).

Bottom line is; I don't regret picking up Faith Leader at all. Others who have both MP Prime and PP01 expressed thoughts of Faith Leader feeling "cheap" but again, that's mostly due to being used to the weight of diecast on MP Prime (PP01 has none). After that feeling passes, users became used to the new weight. Faith Leader is a high quality 3rd party product, politics aside. I never owned or played with the mold before, G1 or otherwise, nor have I ever bought an iGear product before (this is my first) so I have no other frame of reference to compare him to his other truck-bot incarnations so I'd say I'm fairly unbiased there.

I intend to get MP Grimlock this summer and possibly Henkei Jetfire/Skyfire as well, just for scale and styling. Whenever PP05 comes out, I'll probably break down and get those two so that my MP Seekers have someone to fight against display-wise.

Will Faith Leader fit into the CHUG and Alternators line? That's a personal call but for me, I just want my toys to look good and to be in scale with each other, lines be damned. Several of the taller Classics car-bot figures do look great next to Faith Leader, such as Prowl, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe and similar molds in photos, from what I've seen. The smaller ones like Generations Wheeljack (unless he's modded) are bit more glaring with the jacked-up scale when they're stood side by side for comparison in bot mode, but alt mode isn't too bad (not perfect but not bad).

In the end I'd say he's worth picking up, unless you absolutely hate iGear and their products for whatever reason (I don't want to get into that whole debate again), don't like the aesthetic, and/or are saving up for MP-10 New Prime instead. Ultimately, YMMV.

Attached Files:

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I had the first run Faith Leader and there was nothing wrong with him. Its a great figure but really light. It kinda throws you off at first. I stupidly sold mine but now I want to buy another.

6. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I have the 2nd run of Faith Leader and it's my favorite G1 style Prime after the original.

7. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

I too was leery about picking this figure up, but after I saw the pic of PP01 net to MP Grimlock, it was all over. What everyone has said is true...he does feel "cheap", but I also believe that he feels this way due to a lack of diecast in his construction. The lighter feel to him makes him SUPER easy to pose...and as long as you don't plan on "playing" with him, you shouldn't have any issues with broken pieces. I have ZERO regrets when it comes to buying him...he is easily my favorite G1 esque Prime.
    I stay away from all of those "Igear is evil" discussions on the boards simply for the fact that I have absolutely no problems with buying figures that look REALLY good. I do not give a s**t what company makes them, as long as they look awesome in my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

I was on the fence about PP-01, but after seeing ^these pics...

9. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was given a 2nd run Faith Leader for X-Mas and I'm happy to report mine came with ZERO QC issues. I can't say the same for my Ultra Leader, which I got around the same time, but my Faith Leader is PERFECT. 100% worth it. I love it.

It's my default Classics Prime while my "actual" Classics Prime went directly into storage.

10. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I have the 2nd Faith Leader and it is awesome. I too was surprised at the weight and the plastic but he is right in size with the other MP. I ended up getting PP01U as well and it comes with an extra animated head for OP so that was a nice bonus. I believe the 1st edition Faith Leader had that head in it and the 2nd has Megatron and Orion Pax.

Solid transformer but I admit I'm anxious to see what MP-10 is going to be like in comparison.

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    No. Sure, he's a nice toy, but remember, the next MP is a smaller 'upgraded' MP Optimud with more accessories which is more in scale with MP Grimlock.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Will he have his trailer? Or will there be a trailer provided for him?

13. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I think so... Though I can't fully remember.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Can't have Prime without his trailer. That's just wrong....................

15. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had a QC problem with one of the tabs that slide the fist in and out. The plastic was *very* thin there, and the tab broken the first time I transformed it. I contacted iGear, and they were very nice and immediately sent a replacement. With the same problem. :-/ I pre-emptively added a layer of super glue and treat it gingerly, so it's holding up well.

That has been my only issue with it. Everything else has been great, the scale is near-perfect with my Classics, and it can even kinda-sorta tow the G3 trailer. But it's pretty apparent that it was engineered to be bigger. If you know that going in and treat it lightly, you'll probably be pleased.

16. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have Faith Leader v2, but PP01 Ultra was piece of crap!
    I hardly put any pressure to it.
    1 - Once I removed everything from the clear plastic tray, I decided to reattach the Megatron UNCLE stock back to the pistol. Next thing I know, one side of the clip tabs broke off.
    2 - On my 1st transformation, I started to rotated the lower left chest attached to the wheel. The darn thing snapped and broke off.
    3 - My Matrix container was assembled wrong! I had to unscrew and rotate the panel.
    4 - On my 2nd transformation, the lower right chest spring and circular metal started to shoot out by itself just when I rotated it. Now I lost both pieces. At least this chest is still attaching.
    5 - I didn't even realize I broke one of the smaller tabs of the chest door, LOL.
    6 - The wrist band is easily detachable.

This image of my PP01 Ultra should say it all:
    [​IMG]

17. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

He is a great figure, poses great and looks great, one of my favorite figs brother

18. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The new MP Optimus will be less in scale with MP Grimlock than iGear Faith is.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Not quite. MP-10 isn't in scale; it's the same height as MP-09 Rodimus Prime (not Hot Rod) and is a bit taller than MP Grimlock, as a result. So MP-10 will basically tower over Classics figures (which the OP of this thread asked about in comparison). Not as badly as the first MP Prime mold did but still way out of scale. The only thing MP-10 seems to be in scale with is MP-09 (so far).

Personally, I can live without the trailer (again, I display my Faith Leader in bot mode most of the time so the trailer is useless to me). Plus I can use that money I saved for other things, like an MP Grimlock. I'm sure MP-10 will be a great figure and a trailer-less version will inevitably be released sometime down the line, that's a given. But for now PP01 is aces with me and my collection needs.

Again, other people's mileage may vary.

Ouch. Looks like you got a lemon from the batch. Did you contact iGear about this previously? I heard their customer service was pretty top notch.

And you did mention the wrist band square pieces coming off. Mine do that too, but like you said, they can be detached and reattached (and stay on the figure fairly securely outside of "rough" play). I think the reason they did that was for the energon axe accessory so you can attach and detach it (on either hand) more easily. But if this bugs anyone, you can just apply a little bit of glue on the inside of the wrist bands to hold them in place permanently. They don't bother me that much to the point where I've done this yet, however.

Oh, and Faith Leader's head and feet are on ball joints and can pop off rather easily but they snap right back on (just like MP Prime, from what I read).

20. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

this.

wit for the next MP prime.