If you were one the writers, how would you write a script for the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by a.g.e.1, Mar 8, 2009.

1. a.g.e.1

a.g.e.1 Autobots....Roll Out!!!

I know a lot of people complain about the writers about they're not writing the stories closer to the cannon, but if you were in their shoes, how would you write certain stories to be implented into the movie universe?

2. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the way they are doing is alright.

What I've seen so far about the second movie even in the first movie I like how elements of the Transformers Universe Seep into the movie.

3. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I love the thread alrheady.

I guess well some things reffering to like, the robot's apperance and personality and thier old counter parts, so I could serve the character well (Such as Bob and Alex turning Soundwave into Frenzy in TF1's production). And I would try to bring multiple things from the lore and try to wrap them into one big stroy.

That's basicly it. But the writers have alrheady done an amzing job, so...

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd flush out the villains more. The stories that really stick around are the one's where the heroes have to rise above a real challenge, so there needs to be more to the Decepticons than just your average space monster with nothing to say. You know give the viewer something more about why the Autobots have been at war with the Decepticons other than one side is uglier than the other side.

I'd drop the idea of having to change a robots personality to fit the movie. With 25 years of characters there is a robot somewhere in all that will fit any personality you need for the movie.

Throw in more work on making old fans feel like they are getting something for being a fan and not stuck at ground zero like the people who hadn't seen Transformers before. Sort of like all the fan nods in the second Hulk movie where you got plenty of extra things for being an old fan.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd incorporate strong characterization for the Transformers and give them more dialog/screen time, tone down the lowbrow humor, and make the Decepticons a true threat that requires Autobot intervention to be beaten, not a bunch of pussies whom humans with sabot rounds can take out.

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Now this is a good thread, here is what I would do

1) Stick with a simple plot with minimal story elements (govt, Sam, Autobots, and Decepticons)

2) No Macguffins or Deus Ex Machinas

3) Characterize the bots as more than just robots that break things

7. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

Well, This also ties in with the Budget.

If I were a writer and the movie had a bigger budget, I would add more decepticon characterization.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    If I was in charge, I would have made the robots more front and center than what the movie portrayed them as.

When the inevitable reboot comes along, I hope this is what they do.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Things to keep in mind when thinking how you would write these movies.

Movie producers
    The director
    The film studio
    Hasbro
    Budget restrictions
    And some times the actors if they have enough pull
    All these things have an effect on the final product and can make changes with or with out your cooperation.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

If I were in charge, I'd have more robots, and I'd have the Dinobots and more G1 characters, but no Fem-bots cause they don't make snese. And less humans, but the only scenes with humans is just of Megan Fox doing a nakid belly dance, and then soundwave steps on her. ha ha ha.
    And the sound track is all Stan Bush songs. And Megatron is a Gun and the Cons actually win and take over the earth and kill everybody!

Best movie script ever! lulz

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well I thought the first movie was very schizophrenic. I mean the movie was called 'Transformers' but the majority of the characters were human.
    And most of the humans played no significant role. E.i. their parts and/or lines could have been replaced by some generic soldier or government agent in stead of creating an entire character who no one cared about.
    Megatron was supposed to be the leader of the Decepticons, and was absent throughout most of the movie, and ended up being some rampaging, mindless barbarian who within 20 minutes was dead.
    The Autobots didn't fully arrive until half way into the movie and ended up taking a backseat to some of the lesser, unimportant characters. They barely had any lines, and not enough character development.
    If I wrote the movie, one thing I'd do would focus more on the Transformers and their relationship with Sam, and any irrelevant characters would simply be removed.
    I mean their are plenty of things any half decent writer could have done to make Transformers an amazing movie. But they opted for a mindless popcorn flick. Oh well.

12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

In all seriousness, If I somehow was the head writer for the film, I would have scraped the whole Decepticon virus, hacker sub plot that seemed to go nowhere.

That did seem like time that could have been spent on develpoing the Transformer's as characters, a bit more. Maybe some more time for the Decepticons.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would have eliminated the hacker subplot, masturbation scene, and the Bumblepiss scene.

14. Capovin

Capovin Well-Known Member

Well, you have to take into account that you have to appeal to the most people possible and the budget... I wouldn't make it too serious cos its just not a subject that can be conveyed that way I don't think. The transformers in the cartoon basically just look like humans that are boxy and painted colors, so I'd have to rearrange that. Every cgi shot costs so much I couldn't have too much of the transformers on screen... It would basically be the same movie, except I would cut down on the pissing jokes.

15. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    all this and demographic appeal. you have to find a way to be able to please fans, bring in new ones and just make the whole thing as accessable as possible. one of the hardest things to do with an established franchise is to cater to both existing fans and the uninitiated.

EDIT:
    i see leaving this unposted for an hour got me beaten to the punch. capovin makes a good point.
    i'd go for something similar to the first movie, but cut out the hackers and some lowbrow humour, probably get a bit more dialogue for the bot's and cons happening on earth(it could be thrown in during battle, or even alt mode communication) and if budget allowed i'd throw in something early on with the autobots in space or on a nearby planet. probably not some huge exposition scene, maybe some throwaway line about a recent meteor storm hitting the moon/mars/wherever, maybe a shot of the autobots looking to earth from their location, recieving bumblebee's signal.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Let the TFs, the Autobots in particular, talk in alt mode. Cheap way to have character development for the TFs without having to spend more on CGI for robot mode animation.
    Massive no-brainer really and I'm surprised it didn't happen in the first one (apart from a few rare alt mode lines from the Decepticons).

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I really didn't feel like the lots of stories and lots of plots coming together for an ending flowed very well. Like you said there were too many things and characters in the film that could have been cut out all together.

Even if the hacker time had been cut out for more Sam and Bumblebee time it would have been better to have a more focused and streamlined story than the story that seemed to be jumping around all over the place.

18. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

With a pen and paper

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

*Rimshot: Bu dump ching*
    :lolol 

20. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Definitely.

I think the biggest shortcoming the first movie had was it was too focused on the humans, with Transformers along for the ride. This really is no one's fault, considering that they had no way to know if it would succeed and there wasn't a lot of money put towards it.

By all accounts, ROTF looks like it will have more characterization and a robot-focus. That's really all the movies need ^_^.

EDIT: Oh, and no Cybertronian :D