If you were in charge of the club...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jourdo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    How would you handle the release of Runamuck?

The club has a very unique situation this year with the "Run-" twins. You really cannot have one without the other. Assuming the just about every unit of Runabout sold will require his partner, how would you set it up so that this could be accomplished?

Would you just let it be a free for all as normal?
    Would you consider contacting the people who placed orders to allow them to match their order with Runabout?
    Something else?

I don't want this to be an "OMG the Tfclub sux!!!" thread, but more of a brainstorming/discussion on how you would handle this situation if you had the keys to the car.

What do you think?

2. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'd say to go for enough to cover the current number of members at 1 each, add 35% to that number for possibly new members, and then round it up to the nearest multiple of 500.

Then I'd limit it to 1 per member for the first 4 weeks, as that should cover a full pay cycle and allow people to buy one if they really want it.

So by my example,sample figures could be;

2753 members + 35 % = 3717figures,, then round it up, so 4000 in total.

The members value is otally random, and not based on anything.

I'd say to stick to this for any pairing like that that is desirable, for other "risky" chararacters, I'd drop the extra to 15 or 20%, and the round up to the nearest 100.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's a flawed assumption. Not everyone needs both. There are collectors who don't get straight redecos and will get one or the other. Regardless of the portrayal in fiction.

But the answer is easy, make an equal number of both, and sell the extras on the Club website after members are sent theirs.

4. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    If it was me,

Here's a statement I would send out:

Dear Collector fans,

We are aware of your insanity towards our products and we know you spend your hard earned money on our stuff.

We know Botcon comes once a year which is why we will be providing these figures for "FREE" to each of our fans. You the fans are what have made us be where we are today.

This is our token of appreciation once a year to our fans!

Sincerely,
    RW

That's just me though. I honestly think that Hasbro should give these figures for free. I mean we go our way in spending a hefty amount of money buying. You want to keep your fans alive and interested, you know what I mean?... also I guess I just have a huge heart to.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    And you would kill the club

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The club has handled this one perfectly.

We were told months ago that orders would go up in january, which tells us to start putting money away for them. in early jan, we were told both would cost under 60 each. that tells us how much to hold aside.

We heard last week that they'd go up the last week of january, which is one of two days. Solid, narrow time frame there.

Not counting the hour or so they were available on monday, this is the second day they've been up for sale.

If you want Runamuck, everyone has a chance at him too, with a strict deadline that's been known for a very long time, and no chance at a sellout before that date. You're a member by the date, you get him. That's all there is to it.

If you want them, you were well informed, you had your shot, and it's no one's fault but your own if you miss them.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ehhhh but to be fair, those are extremely rare cases, especially in this kind of instance where two characters who have always been portrayed as a duo with an established & accepted shared mold design are being released simultaneously. Exactly like what always happens with the original Seeker trio, these two character's different color schemes aren't just 'straight redecos' of each other - they are THE colors of those characters.

Jourdo is right, easily 99% of anyone going through the trouble to get one of these is doing so so that they can get both... aka "the set". I wouldn't call that a flawed assumption at all. In fact, it's a very expected assumption. And TFCC are being brilliant by adding that extra foam mold cutout for Runamuck in Runabout's box because virtually no one is going to be happy seeing that empty space go unfilled.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    From a business perspective, they're doing all the right things. This is the downside of having the official fanclub be in the hands of a for-profit business. You'll end up with a degree of professionalism and devotion that comes with people doing something as their job, but at the end of the day, as much as they need the fans, their primary commitment is to the bottom line and the success of their business.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Be that as it may, I assume you find no problem with the rest of what I posted. Make an equal number of both, cover all members, sell the surplus on the club store. And let personal responsibility (ha!) take it from there.

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Can't agree with this. Sure 99% might WANT both, but we are talking about a pretty expensive collectible here. After shipping it's over 4x the shelf price for deluxe. Not everyone in the fandom has $60 sitting around to drop on a toy. That's just the way it is.

That issue aside... My solution to the quesion would be simple. Since one of the pair is the "free" club toy this year, the other one should have been the toy for next year. Then there would be no issue with people not being able to get both. They spent 5 years building a combiner. 2 years for the Battlechargers should be no problem.

12. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I completely agree. I actually did mean to mention that in my response. :) 

Overall, from what I've seen thus far, I think the club is handling this pretty well as it is. Thankfully.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    slowclap.gif

14. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Agreed. I'm not in a position where I can justify spending that much on a single deluxe, so unfortunately I miss out on having a matched 'Beavis and Butthead' Battlechargers set. Even when you have months in advance to set money aside, sometimes it's just hard to pay that much in good conscience when you think about other things you could be doing with that money, even if it's still ending up supplementing your collection. (Hell, for half of what 'Over-Run' costs, I'm getting two BM-era and one Cybertron-era)

I would've been perfectly happy waiting until 2013 for the other. I mean, yes, Transformers fans can be a vocal and complaining lot, but considering how long a lot of us have been (and will be) collecting, you can't say we aren't also begrudgingly patient.

15. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, but these aren't for "everyone in the fandom" - they're for the far more limited number of people who CAN afford the $60 and are more than willing to spend it if it means getting the set. No different than what happens with people who buy the BotCon sets. Obviously there might be some longstanding TFCC members who get the freebie by default of being a member but don't necessarily want the add-on companion figure, but generally speaking, I'm confident TFCC could produce equal numbers of both figures and not see more than, at best, a 5% stock differential between the two.

16. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

The only thing I would do differently would give a grace period for all current members to purchase one of each before non-members. And give the ability to group orders if someone wants to buy another set after the initial member preorders.

Also, they should have a method for large group orders to save on shipping across seas. Maybe have a ticker box to check for group order, then you have to have the main member's user name and that person will have to confirm. I don't know, that might be a bit out of the question, but if a lot of thought was put into this, it would be easy enough to implement.

So those three things I guess. Mainly the members only preorder period, which would make people not panic and freak out so much. Being a member should not increase your blood pressure, it should grant you some privileges and advantages over non-members.

17. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I didn't have any problems getting what I wanted, and even managed to beat the meltdown on the first day, so there's not a lot to complain about.

Babysitting the internet just to be sure I get an order in before a sellout or server crash is a bit dumb though. Offer a reservation system on signup/renewal. You get a spot in line for either/both/all of the exclusive figures or a pre-reg for whatever botcon package you want. When orders go live, you have 48 hours to complete the order and pay for it, or it gets dropped. Then you can order additional whatevers. It won't cause a sellout before the orders go up, and no one will kill the server 5 minutes after the orders go up.

18. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    /thread

19. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

have to agree here. although there was a processing issue that was out of funpubs control we have had ample time to save up for a membership and the exclusives. as far as people feeling that they missed/are missing out (dont know if they sold out yet) we need to remember that these EXCLUSIVES are LIMITED. there will always be more fans than pieces available.i remember missing out on PCP but there was nothing i could about it unless i was willing to pay jacked up prices elsewhere.

20. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's see...
    1. I would start by having a working regestering process
    2. Working discount function for new members
    3. Working login function
    4. Working billing adress/shipping adress (atm your billing adress will be your shipping adress even if you fill out an alternate shipping adress)
    5. I would make the create a new account function accuratly check if a membership is active
    6. I would make people actually need to use the registration code
    7. I would provide a url to the confirmation email
    8. I would find better shipping options
    9. I would increase the price by $3 to allways include bubblewrapping
    10. I would let people change mailing adress in their account settings rather than have an email link
    11. I would add the framework to the settings page so it's more than just a white page
    12. I would custimize the forum to make it look like a part of the website rather than a tiny bought message board on a white background
    13. I would redesign the page to not only show content in a fixed width in the middle
    14. I would stick with one design - not have main page aligned to the right and the member page centered
    15. I would add dd/mm/yy to show what is expected in the expiration field
    16. I would send an introduction email that made you feel welcome rather than a list of legal mumbo jumbo
    17. I wouldn't open stuff in new windows
    18. I would move away from the design they are currently using to a professional one.
    19. I would stop lying on the front page [​IMG][​IMG]
    20. I would get rid of the security warning in the store
    21. I would add paypal as an option for paying
    22. I would make the products in the store easier to browse , maybe have 20 pictures listed in a grid per page
    23. I would make the logo clickable and direct it to the index page
    24. I would make the cookies work propperly
    25. I would give this logo a black background to make it blend in with the background: [​IMG]
    26. I wouldn't include a logo at the bottom of the page that says "transformersclub.com you decide" and then not have it serve any purpose
    27. I would kick down the door of whoever was in charge of the current website, tie him up and ship him to guantanamo for crimes against humanity

28. I would have sold both the Runs in a two-pack and use Drift as the freebie.
    29. I would have made the huge logos on a sticker sheet to allow for the option of having them look more g1 cartoony.

I could go on, but to sum it up: fix the website ffs - it's a site associated with a leading global company - not "12 year olds Josh's first website"