If you were in charge of Hasbro, what would you do differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I'd have things like

"We already made a new mold of this particular character recently, lets make a new mold of somebody else instead."

"We have to get all the TV show / movie characters in toy form at an appropriate size!"

"We repainted this mold recently, what mold haven't we repainted yet?"

"We shall give equal measure to the movie, Animated and Universe"

2. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Considering that what they are doing right now has been wildly profitable, I would do absolutely nothing different. And neither would you. They're in the business to make money. None of those things you listed make sense when considering profit margins, despite what certain fans believe.

Actually, I'd only change one policy. I'd stop listening to the fans altogether. After all, I'm trying to sell toys to kids here.

3. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Make Classics Thundercracker available at Retail along with Dirge and Thrust

Nothing else besides that

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I'd stop making kiddy toys (powerbots, megabots, etc), and put the money back into the regular action figures.

Maybe then we wouldn't get big pieces of crap, like Supreme Devastator, and get back to amazing designed figures like RID Omega Prime, who has 10 times the moving parts, and 20 times the play value, and looks IDENTICAL to the god damn show, in every way.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'd start looking at kitbashes for ideas and wherever applicable credit the source as the inspiration.

But like said above, I'd get rid of most of most of the kid's lines. FAB's should not be priced the same as Deluxes, they should be lower and also only key characters.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    continue the animated series.

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    This!

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Keep the Animated line going

Bring back Alternators/Binaltech

Keep Classics/Universe going

Hire designers from the Radicons community

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Include instructions on how to transform a toy back into its alt. mode (didn't R.I.D. do that?) because a lot of the time (especially with Movie toys) a simple "reverse the order of instructions to convert back to truck/car/jet/etc." doesn't always work well ;) 

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Defer to Takara's paint apps. At the very least the choice of colorscheme, not necessarily the chrome.

11. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

This, big time.

I'm with Sizzle in that Hasbro's probably got a gigantic marketing division who knows what will sell on the shelves. If that means scrap everything for ROTF, I suppose that's what needs to be done when the Almighty Dollar matters :) .

Fan-wise, I'd love to see the suggestions others are making. Business-wise, just keep funneling ROTF R+D, with the help of Radicons ;) .

12. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I'd try and keep some sense of charicter size, although I would base it off how big the robot mode is meant to be not the alt mode.

I'd probably have at least 3 uses for every toy we make planned and if I see the fans come up with a good 4th 5th or 6th you could damn well bet I'd use it.

I'd cut back on electronics and spring loaded weapons as they don't really see to sell toys as much as the coolness factor of the charicter/alt mode does so I'd save some money there and re use at least some of for improving the core toys or adding to there numbers.

I'd try and get toy stores to stop the wave system of ordering to give us and them a better idea of what really sells. I'd at the very least do this through out own and collectors club stores. I think they are missing out a valuble maket info there and also getting the items customer want to market, shelf warmer don't help my brand or the stores.

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This! For guys like RiD Side Burn it's essential, and proves handy for future re-packs where the TF comes in 'bot mode for the first time but Hasbro use the old instructions.

14. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Start a new line of toys - "TF's in the '50's" full of classic cars/hot rods/lead sleds

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Look over the actual sales figures (which, as fans, we don't have access to), to determine what toys actually sell the best and what gimmicks are selling best with the target demographic...then I'd do more of that.

- Evaluate how well the collector-oriented lines and G1 fanwank figures are selling and use that as the basis for how much attention to pay to the fandom.

- Look into the feasibility of starting a collector-oriented line of reissues and repaints sold through HTS.com. Mainly thinking G1 reissues here, but it could also encompass high-demand repaints that would fit in other lines (Animated Ramjet, Classics Seekers, etc). Preferably, at least one figure in each wave would be chosen by a fan vote on a "pool" of several possibilities. Before going ahead with the line, however, I would ensure that the fandom was aware of the fact prices on figures in this line would likely be somewhat higher than standard retail, to compensate for the (undoubtedly) lower production runs.

And if retailers say "we don't want, and aren't going to order, any more of this Animated stuff" (for instance), then what?

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    try and limit the amount of sublines. FABs, RPMs, robot heroes, gravity bots, mega bots, mega power bots, role play items...

Then again, like Scantron said I don't have access to sales figures, so for all I know that stuff sells better than deluxes/voyagers etc....

17. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Edit: dooble pust

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd sit down at my big desk, look at threads like these, and the fanboy inside me would get kind of excited... but then I'd think of how wasteful a lot of these ideas actually are and say "hey! We need to make money so we can make more Transformers down the road!" and let Greg Lombardo have his chair back.

19. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Have lucky draws for HTS customers and Hasbro shareholders that meet certain criteria.
    And party!!!

20. RonimusPrime

RonimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple. You either order the Transformers brand, or you don't. Mixed cases. No RoTF without Animated or Universe/Classics.