If you sold your collection???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by digitalworld40, May 18, 2010.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Currently selling off my collection and I have done this primarily through having tables at the past few TFcon's and will have other booth set up this year.

Have also been selling a lot through Junkeon and some of the higher priced items through eBay.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been selling my non TF stuff for years. Generally people do not buy lots unless they are getting a really sweet deal. There are some items that go really quick, others though literally no one wants them.

3. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Wow, that got blown out of proportion...

The lady ASKED for $1,000,000 and got her 10 minutes of fame.

In reality she didn't get even 1/10 of her asking price.

IMHO, the whole event and uproar was an embarrasment to the TF collector's community.

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would go through Junkion.

This website has been such a great resource. I would much rather my collection, that I have narrowed down to what I consider the truly awesome, go to other collectors rather than possibly going to some asswipe with an ebay store that is just going to inflate the price and resell.
    I would rather give something back to the members of this website rather than random ebay people.
    That's why whenever I sell something on ebay I offer a discount to board members :D 

5. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have sold a few things on e-bay, but I have had like 3 un-bidded on auctions, it is kind of hit or miss on there running it auction style, you never know who is looking for what.

Most of the time when I am looking for an item on there it's not there, but then weeks later there will be like 20.

I have put my list on here too, but not alot of interest, basically unless you have sught after items people really pay no attention to your ad if you just have alot of random things.

Don't think I will clear out nearly the stuff I want, and I don't have any local comic shops, and don't want to get low balled by some sweaty comic guy.

6. derbyhat7

derbyhat7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought it sold for 1mil, didnt know it didnt. why was it an embarassment to the TF community?

7. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I sold my collection off, I would likely use it to finance a different toy of some sort, like a sizable down payment on a new car. Those V6 mustangs look very nice too me. Hell paying of my credit cards looks very nice to me...

8. rework

It "sold" for one million only when a 5 year old in Canada clicked the Buy-It-Now. Turns out he didn't have quite that much in his piggybank.

While the general public might have "ooh-ed and ah-ed" about how these were worth so much, almost anyone with any knowlege of collecting, toys or otherwise, knew that her asking price was clearly ridiculous (something she basicly admitted)...

Well, when something so high profile like that happens, it tends to paint the general fandom as a bunch of crazies who all massively overvalue their toys.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    If all goes according to plan, I will sell my complete G1 collection no sooner than 2035.
    the 50th anniversary year of Transformers might be a good time for me, but I know a lot can happen between now and then.

I'd start by trying to sell the collection as whole at first.
    But I'd probably end up selling them individually as auctions.
    Photographs and proper cataloging will be made over the years to make this an easy process...

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i don't think i could ever sell my collection, it would make me cry, each figure has a special memory attached to it and tells a story....i really don't see how people can sell their collections but to each their own

11. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i sold 98% of my collection, sold it all in one lump sum. didnt get as much as i know i couldve if i sold them all seperatly but selling them seperate wouldve been to much of a hassle considering how many i had

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    My collection could do with a nice pruning. Working on it.

If I sold it in a lump sum, the buyer would have had to rent a U-Haul.

13. rework

I've been giving my collection an annual pruning for over a decade now. It's called my Botcon table.

I think if I ever wanted to do a major sell-off, I'd probably do it the way the Hartmans did it - Triple-wide Botcon booth. The leftovers going on Ebay.

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Good point. I'll wait until I have teenagers that can do the heavy lifting for me! The wife isn't even pregnant yet and she's already calling my TFs the college fund! :lol 

15. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    If I did sell my collection (God forbid), I'd probably sell it one at a time.

16. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

I would die without my beloved collection :( 
    At least for now..

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i won't hear none of this Devil's talk...selling my collection? Heresy!

i won't sell mine. period.

but to answer your question, i would sell in modest lots- that way, i get rid of figures i know would otherwise get passed over (hey, gotta get that Scalpel fig if you want my Bludgeon and Mindwipe.)
    i would want to avoid having the figures even i hated buying still looking at me as i keep hoping someone bids on them.

that make sense to someone other than me?

18. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I will most likely be selling off a huge chunk of my collection this summer. I spend 11 months out of the year overseas, and the vast majority of my collection just sits around collecting dust in storage. I can't see that being a good thing. Plus it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra money around to pay down some debt.

In all likelihood, I'll be selling off a sizable chunk of my collection in mid-summer. I will only be keeping Classics/Universe, Masterpiece and Alts. GONE will be any other generations.

19. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So compared to how much your collection was worth how much did you get? 75% of market value? more less?

That's how I would do it. for every 2 good figures you'd have to throw at least one crappy figure into the mix.

That would be the absolute worse thing to happen if you sold all the gems and were stuck with leftovers no one wanted.

20. digitalworld40

digitalworld40 Well-Known Member

went ahead and posted my collection in the junkion exchange.