If you really think about it, all the Decepticons had equal impact in the film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Jul 21, 2007.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    There are some that were not happy with the amount of screen time each Decepticon was given. Like some were killed off too easily or some were pointless or some had too little screen time.

When you really think about it, each and every Decepticon had its equal amount of "impact" in the movie.

I don't necessarily mean screen time but just overall "necessary moments" for to drive the story forward.

All of them had their money shots and moments of mass destruction.

I'll divide what I'm trying to explain in 2 points. Purpose and Impact. Purpose meaning what they do to drive the story forward and Impact meaning how much it has an impact on you as a viewer and the movie overall.

Blackout
    Purpose - just a general introduction of the Decepticons. They are trying to steal information and also shows the mass destruction they can cause individually.
    Impact - when you saw Blackout in helicopter mode, you knew that it was him, you can't help but think, oh shit here he comes. And then once his rotor blades stop abruptly and he transforms, it just put the movie in high gear and it literally blows you away with the display of damage that a single decepticon can do.

Frenzy
    Purpose - the Decepticon's recon infiltrator, he's there for comic relief and also brings the story forward with the continuing the mission to get more information on Megatron
    Impact - you would not think that a little runt like Frenzy would be so vicious. He drops Air Force one security like flies and effectively.

Barricade
    Purpose - he shows you (as the audience) that depection is truly their strong point because they even will disguise themselves as people we trust, which is law enforcement. Sam is easily is fooled by Barricade's disguise
    Impact - I don't think anybody was really prepared for that moment when Barricade suddenly transformed into his robot mode. That was definitely a holy crap moment and then just throwing cars around was icing on the cake. And not only that, when he just sticks himself in Sam's face and interrogates him and slams his fist into the ground, you can't help but be terrified for this boy

Bonecrusher
    Purpose - some could think of him a Decepticon fodder but what we saw on screen was showing off his brute force as a combatant. Its somewhat of an introduction of the aggressiveness of a soldier like Bonecrusher who lets nothing stand in his way and really displays his hatred for Autobots and all things in general
    Impact - this was the first "True focussed" one on one battle where you see 2 major icons just go at it. That scene in slow mo where Bonecrusher charges at Prime really is just mindblowing. You get shown how he is just ready to fight regardless of anything around him, including his surrounding area.

Brawl
    Purpose - another one of Megatrons minions of brute force. But this time his battle takes place in the middle of a city where there are lots of humans. This battle continues to display the Decepticon's disregard for human life as well as their lack of cooperation as a team. When the Decepticons fight, they don't work together. However, the Autobots work as a team to effectively take out their enemies.
    Impact - some could almost argue that Brawl got the most screen time just because that city battle was a major scene in the movie. I think the main impact on this scene was that even the Decepticons can strategically utilize their transformations. Bonecrusher was very mobile. However Brawl on the other hand is large and slow, so he uses his cannons and projectile launchers as his primary weapon.

Skorponok
    Purpose - we thought our military heroes were in the safe zone. But Skorponok really changes all that. Just like Defense Secretary mentioned "our enemy could be anywhere". And Skorponok really is proof because the military really was not prepared for any of that. Blackout took them out for surprise and you'd think they'd be ready for that but they weren't
    Impact - that entire scene was just incredible. You can really see how deadly he is when he impales one of the soldier's in the back and swings him around. And we've seen that money shot where Skorponok comes out of the ground in slow-mo many times but nothing beats watching on the big screen. That particular shot literally gives me the chills when I watch it. And to top things off, you really get to see the military in action with all their "big toys".

Starcream
    Purpose - the Decepticons are not only killers of the ground of also the terrors of the skies. As an F22 Raptor jet, he easily decieves the good guys making them stand their ground until they are caught off guard by their missiles. It was only then when they realized they needed to be cautious of who they decide is friendly and hostile.
    Impact - every scene with Starscream was awesome. Michael Bay and/or the writers decided to make sure that Starscream wasn't given alot or any static scenes. He really only had 2 stand out scenes and that was when he landed on the streets, blasting away and flying away. And also where was up against those unaware F22 Raptor pilots. That scene was just cool as hell because we really needed to see Starscreams characteristics as it was portrayed in the cartoons and it was clearly shown here as the F22 Raptors fly with him only to find out at the last moment that it was not one of their comrades. He gains their trust and then takes them out when they least expect it.

Megatron
    Purpose - well he's Megatron
    Impact - Every scene where he's on screen has a lot of impact. He is actually portrayed in the best light here and is given the best treatment because when you see him here, he is actually terrifying. This is one of the scariest CG characters ever made since the Velociraptors in Jurrassic Park.

wow, that was long, but just wanted to speak in defense of the Decepticons and in response to those who said that "the movie was great but I wish the Decepticons had more screen time". Well when you really think about it, they had all the right moments. Its possibly that any more might've been overkill and possibly drag out the movie a bit.

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I think you raise some good points, but I still wold have liked to see some more Decepticon scenes in the movie. I would ahve liked to ahve seen more Autobots in the movie for that matter. I mean focused too much on Australian computer chicks, and corny S7 agents, and other junk that it just muddied the movie up from time to time. And then Micheal was like, Oh yea, we've got to add Transformers to this movie too. I dunno, that's just me. You do raise some good points, but I still wish the Decepticons were more characterized, then just a bunch nameless robots with little to no lines.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

agree to a point but still feel bonecrusher got the shaft

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Good points, just wish you could get a better look at Brawl through out the fighting

5. Blackout314

Blackout314 Blackout Is Vicious

Blackout was robbed in the movie,dont get me wrong he was displayed great in the beginning but his fatal ending was disgraceful.One of his greatiest scenes you left out was when he was downtown and his blades where spinning behind him and everything was being ripped to shreds.

I just love blackout but overall i do believe the decepticons got shafted and some of the battle scenes i was really waiting to see:megatron vs optimus,barricade vs bumblebee,bonecrusher vs optimus:they were all short lived.when they do the sequel the decepticons better get more play

6. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

You bring up very good points, but I still think they lacked one important thing. They didn't have an opportunity to show how they interacted with each other. There's only one point in the movie where they all talk together or speak to show their personality. I think a main reason that the Transformers themselves are so captivating is because you get to know their personality. I think even the Autobots didn't get much development, except for Bumblebee and Prime.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I was hoping to see more of him too. I almost feel like we saw every bit of his part in previews and sneak peaks.

I think the sequel will have a lot more robot action. The story has been set up and it will have a bigger budget most likely.

Still love the movie though.

8. Blackout314

Blackout314 Blackout Is Vicious

More AutoBots Should Have Died

9. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

YOu make some great poinnts U-Samuri and I agree with that! But all the same they didn't need the Austalian hackers or the Sector 7 parts! They could've use those parts to characterize the Autobots and Decepticons! If they would've done that instead of having those parts then the movie would'nt be great, IT WOULD'VE BEEN PERFECT!!!

10. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Yea the hackers were pretty much pointless, they coulda been cut from the movie. Sector 7 was ok, I mean otherwise they'd have to go find the Allspark ><"

11. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Decepticons were just antagonists in the loosest sense of just attacking our heroes. Bonecrusher was more of a plot device to distract Optimus from the Battle of Mission City. Only Megatron and Frenzy really got to establish themselves as characters. Nonetheless, this is an origin film, and of the grunts only Starscream matters in the sequels.