If you owned Hasbro & Takara

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was bored on my way in to work today so I thought to myself what I'd do differently with the Transformers if I owned Hasbro/Takara. I thought about posting it in a different section, but nah its about toys and how to market them so I guess its here that it belongs, so here goes:

I'd plan in a new series after Transformers Prime rebooting the G1 continuity by launching a new series on the most popular TV networks using the old sound for the first two seasons and then update the animation to modern style animation (a la naruto) based on the classics line toys and allways keeping proportions and colours true to what the would be toys look like.

The toyline obviously being the classic toys as the molds allready exist, being released in several waves in tandem with what character was in the spotlight on the cartoon, with new molds being made and having others upgraded.

Starting the third season I'd not go the movie way, but instead carrying on in the season 2 way.

Galvatron and the movie toys would be introduced as Transformers who didn't go to earth, but who instead continues to wage war with Galvatron who took over after Megatron on Cybertron after an epic battle with shockwave.

The Cybertron bit would be launched as a spinoff series where the characters from the earth transformers and cybertron transformers would interact with eachother.

A character like Wheeljack could for example leave for Cybertron in the earth series because of a distress call from Cybertron about some thingomobob that only he can fix and then be back in the next episode or be gone from the show for an episode while something happens that the Autobots desperatly need Wheeljack for but the *new figure to be released* solves instead, introducing new figures like Drift.

For the toys that need it I'd redo 'em into a size apropriate class.

I'd redo the whole concept of scout as a class to making them bigger to the point where they'd be on scale with classics bumblebee.

I'd buy Fansproject and select third party companies and integrate them in the hasbro dev team for transformers in an attempt to catch things that could have been done differently and increasing playability and decreasing "wtf is this" moments

All the figures would once again come with accessories. G1 style weapons that the figures hold in their hands would be standard.

I'd introduce a system for ordering specific toys to the dealers, kind of like preorder/backorder on the websites alongside the normal delivery system, so that kids can actually go into a toystore, (make a downpayment?) and then actually get the toys they want instead of going to 20 different locations hunting the toys down.

I'd also introduce limited runs with an alternative packaging and a bonus item or two for the collectors, like the run of the mill cyclonus could come with his little purple gun from the show and the collector version could come with Nightstick.

I'd introduce Gestalt combiners to the toyline.

I'd introduce accessory packs to replace missing weapons

I got loads of other stuff that I'd do, but what would you do?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd make it a company run for the fans by the fans!

We'd then go bust within the first month after our waves of Masterpiece Sixshots, Star Sabers, Dai Atlases and Utterly-Absurdly-Huge-And-Complicated-Class Fortress Maximus utterly bombs at retail.

3. rainningstorm

rainningstorm cheapskate@Cantonment

I'll pass.

I have no idea how much, planning, marketing and design goes into making a toy company. I'll rather let someone esle do it and laugh while they screw up and scorn when morons complain about why they don't get their classic *insert character name* yet or about anything new that is different from traidtional.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This ^

I don't want all the fun taken out of my hobby by having to worry about all that shit and hassle.

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:

This quote wins this thread hands down!

K thread locked j/k. LMAO :locked2: 

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if fans ran hasbro, it'd be dead in a week :lol 

7. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you, doomboy536 - I was really looking forward to hearing more views like yours or mine, but it looks like the trolls took over this thread.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chill out Grandum, everyone has a right to an opinion. Granted, they might not be an opinion with as much detail and thought as yours, but that is still their right. Remember we're only talking about toys here :lol 

For the record, I think Has/Tak have done a pretty damn great job at keeping Transformers going. How many other 80s franchises have lasted as long or sold as much as Transformers? Sure, we might gripe and moan about the small things, but the fact of the matter is that Has/Tak have kept putting Transformers on toy shop shelves almost every year since 1984. Hats off to 'em!

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Are you for real? Hmm..

10. Dolza_Khyron

idk; personally if it was me i'd keep transformers and everything else going the same, though i'd try to bring back some of the older deader lines.

like Mask, dino riders, go-bots, rocklords, battle beasts, and ect.

but still in all seriousness, i think transformers is doing a great job as it is, with out a fan running the show lol

11. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

Neckbeard dryers in every washroom if I was boss.

12. Dolza_Khyron

^ and every evil transformer will now have a stereotype evil beard to play with! :lol 

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I'd change much, certainly not by rewriting history and "redoing" what was a pretty dreadful cartoon to begin with.

You talk about rebooting G1, and then mention using the same sound and only updating the animation!?! e.g. we'd still be stuck with the dreadful plots?? Or did I misunderstand?

14. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I like these ideas. Some toy (mentioning no names...) do need a better class size choices.

With the "order a specific toy" thing, that sounds cool, although it may be a mixed blessing. With people able to order specific toys, it may mean that some "collector friendly" toys (Drift or Darkmount, perhaps), go out of production quickly as Hasbro see them not selling as well as better known characters (such as Movie Bumblebee #15389). It could, at least initially, though, make it easier to get hold of something specific.

I like the limited run thing... whilst it may not be cost effective to do a limited run of a complete item (Cyclonus in your example), it may well be doable as a "collector upgrade kit" - you get a collectible box and a couple of trinkets to add to your general release figure (similar to that special relase of MP Rodimus with the coin and fancy box).

As for my own idea... I'd set up a monthly / bi-monthly "collector's release". Something like what they do for MOTU - release a short run for collectors (via TFCC or HTS or ...?) of an exclusive recolour / retool of an existing item coverning characters that aren't currently under consideration for general release.

15. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Well duh, after only a month of designing and engineering that's bound to blow ass.

In all seriousness if I didn't murder the company, I'd be thrown out pretty damn fast

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    "Optim-what? Mega-who? No, this is Transformers. You know, the franchise built around the epic battle between heroic Autobot Rodimus Prime and his eternal nemesis, Galvatron."

But no, other than focusing more on my beloved season 3 characters, I don't think I'd do anything different from how Hasbro operates now (except maybe have the Marvel division make more Rachel Summers toys).

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    *dusts of Marketing degree*

TRANSFORMERS...not a lot of changes, don't try to fix what isn't broken at mass retail...they seem to be doing OK and I doubt many of my ideas would hold much interest for them, so I'm going with my own vested interest and helping the small retailer market :p 

I like the idea of being able to order specific figures, but I think I would limit it to the smaller retailers who really can't absorb as many of the slower sellers and still keep ordering. (Believe me, I'd LOVE to order more cases, but I'm SWIMMING in WFC Cliffjumpers and Thunderwings, and as much as I'd love to sell more Kups & Scourges it's hard to justify re-orderring when I get half a case I can't move!) I'd still say the ala carte orders must be in multiples of 4, maybe even 8. I'd also drop the minimum order levels from the current $25,000 per calendar year to a much more inviting $10,000 to get more retailers in the mix.

Direct market shared exclusives! It's hard enough for the little guys to compete so let's throw them some collective bones. This is the best place for "fans choice" types of characters that the mass retail guys may not want....mostly BiaB multi-figure sets, also US packaged Henkei / United sold as "Premium" figures at a slightly higher price, and like Henkei priced individually, but still less expensive than importing.

Beast Wars 20th Anniversary. Again, we go with BiaB format and keep this to a single sku to appease the bigger retailer partners who may be leary of overloading their shelves, for all intents this will be solicited as part of the Generations line with a prominant BW 20th anniversary tag line. as the higher price point (Voyager level) sku...Partner with Shout Factory to dub BW2 and BW Neo. Include 2 episodes in each figure set on DVD while Shout will release a full DVD set once the line is finished for those of us who would rather have the sets in that format.

Drop RPM's...revive Spychangers for Hot Wheel style play. Add more Spychanger molds.

Upsize the Human Alliange basics to accomidate 3 3/4 scale figures. Co-brand as GI Joe / Transformers. If these sell well test the water with larger and iconic GI Joe vehicles as TF's. M.A.S.K. characters will be sprinkled into the Joe and Cobra sides. V.E.N.O.M. will become a specialized Cobra "urban terror" unit and will also get civillain vehicles with pop-out weapons as part of the GI Joe line. Incorporate into the cartoon and comics.

OTHER LINES

Jurassic Park revived and co-branded to add a Dino Riders subset. Comission new cartoon series for HUB.

Alien vs Predator...yes the crazy themed Alien line...I'd bring it back with classic as well as newly sculpted figures with the same gimmick level. Bring in a cartooin series for support of the "bug hunt" line. Space Marines will be downsized to 3 3/4 and share a lot of GI Goe molds.

Marvel Universe, another area where ala-carte orderring will REALLY help the smaller stores, again, minimum of 4 of any specific character. Also offer every "chase" figure from the year as a multi-figure box set as a direct market exclusive. This retains the uniqueness of the "chase" while satisfying the collector who wants a complete set.

Finally I'd partner with major license holder IDW and Diamond Distribution. On all packages of Transformers, GI Joe, or Jurassic Park toys have a coupon for a percentage off any IDW comic at your local comic store (Retailer redeems with Diamond for invoice credit or with IDW for exclusive covers).

18. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Probably keep it the same. Though, I'd add a fans' choice figure every six months like they do/did for Star Wars.

19. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I'd scratch repaints unless they're high demand ones (Gen TC for example). Also, the fans choice release would be a great idea. I'd f'n scratch instore exclusives and sell them exclusively through HTS. Also, I'd can the HTS people who are responsible for shipping stuff out and get someone with half a brain to do it.

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Dino Riders were Tyco, and Tyco is now Mattel. AKA not happening.