If You Had to Choose...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaiwera05, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Which Should I Choose?

1. Thundercracker

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Optimus Prime

49 vote(s)
    84.5%
  1. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    So I have a slight dilemma here, guys. I want to pick up both of the Hasbro MP releases coming out in a few months, Thundercracker and Optimus Prime, but I only have the money for one. Which do you guys think I should get? They're both ties in my book and I don't have a figure of either character (G1 at least).

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Looking at my own TF collection, I must have at least 15 different versions of Optimus Prime and only 1 Thundercracker figure. Given a choice between the two characters, I just have more interest in Optimus. And if I ever had to cull my collection down to 5 figures, probably at least 3 of those 5 would be various Optimus Primes. None of the 5 would be Thundercracker.

3. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    While I like TC, You just HAVE to get Optimus, because it's Optimus.

4. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

Well, Optimus is going to retail for $100, and Thundercracker is $60 - $70 (advertised retail is $69.99, but some people are finding him for $59.99), so if money is a big issue, that might sway your decision a bit. But if you're willing to spend the $100, I'd say go for Optimus Prime. I have the MP-11 Starscream, which is the same mold that is being used for TC, and it is a fantastic figure, and definitely one of my favorite Transformers toys ever.

But Optimus Prime is...well, he's Optimus Prime. And the MP-10 Masterpiece Optimus is about as good a representation of G1 Optimus as anyone could hope for. He looks dead on in both vehicle and robot mode, he's perfectly proportioned, he's got great poseability, and he comes with his trailer that is fully decked out with Roller and all of the accoutrements that it should have, which makes him the best valued Masterpiece figure so far, IMO.

On the other hand, though, it may still be a couple of months before Optimus starts showing up at TRU, and Thundercracker is rolling into stores now. So if possible, buy TC now, and then start saving up for Optimus. He may end up hitting stores around Christmas time.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Prime. I only bought TC to complete my Seeker trio.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I'd take Optimus Prime out of the two.

7. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

Prime

8. Optimus1116

Optimus1116 Autobot

News Credits:
    It's really up to you, but I'd say Optimus.

9. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TRU MP 10 Prime. He is an awesome figure, I think that every TF fan should own this mold, he is that cool.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it was me, I'd just save the $70 - $100. But, out of those two, I'd go with Thundercracker.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    prime, the new seeker mold is great, but if you're only getting one, get prime, but i'll go for both.

definitely get one of them though, nothing else coming out that's even worth $5

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Buy Thundercracker - Optimus is likely not going to sell out at $100.00 so you will have chance to save up and get him when he's on sale.

And bare in mind there is specific times they have sale (in America) so you can almost guarantee Optimus will be cheaper then.

I have no special plans personally to buy Thundercracker - if TRU decide to import some American stock to the UK and he ends up about £45.00 (bit more than $60.00) then I might buy him in when they have a 20% off voucher - but if he's comes in at some silly price like £70.00 and 20% off only reduces him to about £56.00 I'd probably ignore him I paid low £40.00s for Grimlock and Hot Rodimus and I'd not want to pay much more than £45.00 for a repaint.

Optimus looks like a more apealling mould I'd pay up to £68.00 for him - -But I'm in no hurry I've already got plenty of Optimus toys and I remain rather disinterested in MPs anyway (They are to big, to fragile and to much faffing about to Transform). So they don't fit my play pattern.

13. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Do you have Starscream & Skywarp? Do you have a previous release of MP-01? These are questions I'd ask to make the determination.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fragile and overly complicated have been thrown out the window with the newer ones, seem to be more friendly to handle, especially these two over their predecessors (have mp-10 and 11 and the old molds)

15. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

Since the subject of fragility and complex transformation has entered the discussion, I'd say Optimus is the better of the two on this front as well. Not that the MP-11 mold is fragile or overly complicated to transform, but in comparison, MP-10 Optimus is much more solid. You can easily pick him up and put him in different poses without anything coming apart, whereas MP-11's chest tends to slide up since it has no way of locking in place, and if you try to raise his arms up, his chest turbines tend to go up with them. He looks great in lots of different poses, but getting him in those poses can be a bit of a hassle.

Optimus is also a pretty simple transformation, and there are only a couple of smaller bits that you have to be careful with, but not overly so.

16. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Optimus...then get the igear TC which is a superior color anyway

17. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    The only MP figure that I have is the Hasbro MP-09. I think the general consensus here is to get MP-10, so thanks guys! I know that I'm getting myself for my birthday/Christmas now! :D 

18. Sai

Sai Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If i was in your shoes i would get Prime ahead of TC...he's a must have!

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having both of the Takara versions of the new MP Prime and Starscream, I can say that Prime is definitely the better of the two. I think you are getting much more bang for your buck with Prime as well.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime,he is the symbol of Transformers.