2D Artwork: If you had a brain you'd be dangerous- Split's art thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SPLIT LIP, Apr 4, 2016.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So it's been like over two months since I last did anything artistic because I've been just so unmotivated. Mostly work-related stress just kinda putting me off being creative in any way. Not that my designs are all that creative, but I do have a few more pieces. First is Ramhorn's alt mode:

NewDesigns088.jpg

Next is two more of Galvatron's cronies. Bonecrusher and Blackout. Originally Blackout was Lugnut, but I don't like borrowing too much from TFA since my style is already sort of cartoony, plus Blackout fit with the other movie-inspired goons. They're pretty rough but again I'm not sure when or if I'm gonna finish them up right. :/

NewDesigns090.jpg

NewDesigns089.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  2. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    Sweet.

3. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom 2

They look great.

4. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh damn they look fantastic. I'm especially liking Bonecrusher's gangly proportions. You captured them pretty well

5. HEROBRINE III

HEROBRINE III You know that infamous MCPE Greifer...

Blackout looks awesome!

6. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube (Legacy):
    when you see that SPLIT LIP updated his thread
    eye_glasses-s500x412-159287.png

Great work as always man.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    So good to see you back, man, even if just for a little while. Bonecrusher's arms are crazy and I love them. They both look properly menacing as well.

8. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only just noticed that the tail rotor of the helicopter forms one of Blackout's knee guards in robot mode, and that is awesome

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darkshift

Darkshift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh my God Blackout is glorious!

• Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thank you all very much! :D  I didn't realise I was missed, but it good to feel welcomed back to this thread.

I also updated the first post with full bios for the Autobots since the old bios were deliberately written to be blacked out, and Ruiner's was literally just copied text with black bars over every line. :lol 

Thanks, I based him more on the delue and it's super long arms. His arms, as shown with the right one, can actually extend Inspector Gadget-style. He turns into a more generic minesweeping vehicle (which I plan to draw later) with two smaller sweeper arms, which he can use as extra rms in robot mode.

Thank you, Blackout's transformation is basically the Cyberverse toy only with the arms and legs replaced. The arms make up the middle bulk of the chopper, and the legs are the rear/tail folded up, with the other knee guard being the stabalizer fin opposite the anti torque rotor.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  11. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They look fantastic!

12. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

Very nice! I've always wondered what those movie original characters would look like with a more cartoony twist to them. I like it.

13. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Love those bios, though they still might not beat Convoy's inked out bio, due to all the cleverly used words in it foreshadowing his identity. I do feel kind of bad for Spiral and Botanica, who both seem a little messed up after the events of the series. Road Rage, too, but I think there's still some hope for her. I guess it goes to show not all happy endings are perfect. (On that note where Jetfire at? Don't tell me he's dead.)

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh no, I just must've forgot him. :p  When I re-uploaded them the order was all messed up so I had to delete them and re-re-upload them.

And yeah, life isn't perfect, but it's good enough. Remember it's a retrun to form for Optimus, Ironhdie and Road Rage, and Ruiner just doen't give a shit. Botanic and Spiral weren't really part of the "just hanging around" crowd. Though Botanica is content as long as she can continue her research which their handy new underground base allows.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Love that Blackout.

16. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Those are sick dude. I love your adaptations of the characters. As a digital designer and artist myself, YES, always start with a drawing. It always makes your stuff tighter and it's better to do most of your problem solving with composition, color swatches, size, etc before you start on the computer. You spend a lot less time getting lost in the woods in programs like PS and Illustrator.

One small nitpick i have is your lack of a grid. I can tell your not using one because your tracking is inconsistent with the name of the character and the beginning of your descriptions. Making that space between those sections consistant will make your illustrations more cohesive when they are arranged together. Also some of the paragraphs are getting really close to the vehicle modes. I would suggest using in design if you can for laying out paragraphs of text. A text wrap so the ends of the paragraph follow the contours of your character might look really good.

Here's an example of how I used it on my last publication project. I wouldn't put your text as close to your illustrations tho. The aethetic I was going for was DIY gutter punk craziness 20170504_134901.jpg

I like how you are using different fonts for the names. I would maybe even push it a little further. You won't hear me say this often but some emboss,glow, patterns, drop shadows etc would really look good on these. Just not all at once lol

All in all these are sick.,., mad respect for you character designers. One of my weaknesses. Do you have any studies? Drawing your character front, back, and 3/4 view? Those make awesome illustrations, love looking at those.

Glad you said crits welcome yet? Hehe...Good luck man, hope to see more of your stuff.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    These are good suggestions. I have no idea what makes good composition when adding text to a drawing, so these are great steps to follow. I literally just typed the text in a basic text box next to the images. :lol  I see what you mean in your example, how the text isn't too close to the image but sort of conforms to the edge. I'll go back and try something else and probably do everyone while I'm at it. A master list of all the bios I've done so far, not just the main Autobots.

I did sketches but never finished them. Didn't think people would be too interested in it but now I'm considering going and doing some. Maybe extra expression studies.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Few more things, first off the (very) rough sketches of Bonecrusher and Blackout in alt mode. Like so rough they exist purely to give me to work off of once I finish them:

NewDesigns092.jpg
    NewDesigns091.jpg

Next up is a rear view and expression studies for Optimus:

OptimusAltStudies.png

And a revised Bio with the text reorganized, I think (hope) this is a better format:

OptimusBio.png

• Like Like x 15
  19. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Those face studies are awesome

Edit: your layout also looks much better

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think Blaster Alt-Mode should be a radar truck.