If you could retcon anything, what would you retcon?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scythe, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Exactly as the title asks.

As for me, I'd retcon the entire Spider-Man devil forced divorce, that blew spidey out of the water for me. I'm finding myself trying to like his new books when I used to love them.

Second runner up for me would be the entire clone saga for spidey. Get rid of that crap, never happened. It would sure make me happier.

How 'bout you guys?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Three words: All Hail Megatron. Cop that crap, and let Furman finish whatever he originally had planned.

3. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    ^^ Hahaha, I agree.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

:mad  I would retcon it so Ben Reilley didn't die.

What do you think of that, sunshine?

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm like two sunny side up eggs.

I think I'd retcon so that Ben Reilly wouldn't be a clone at all, but another guy with spider powers. Always wanted to see two spideys kickin' ass. Besides, anything is better than the mess the Clone Saga laid down. Even the Ultimate Spider-Man universe had a somewhat better Clone Saga.

Regardless, I still read the original clone saga, and although I don't really like it, I still keep it and it's alright with me cuz as I type this right now, I'm dressed as a fish.

6. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

If manga counts in this thread, i'd have to say Kamina dying in Tengen toppa Gurren Lagann, if no than i agree with Nachtsider

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This, this and more this.

Eh, while I understand Kamina has such a huge fanbase, I don't think Gurren Lagann would be as good as it is if he didn't die. His death is really what put the series up a notch.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Undo the "Manhunters saved virtually every GL who died in the past couple of decades for some vague reason, so Hal conveniently didn't kill any GLs" retcon. I think Johns went too far in white-washing Hal's actions as Parallax in general, but this was the most awkward retcon, IMO.

- Retcon the Spider-Man titles so that Aunt May actually did die back in Amazing Spider-Man #400. It was a well-handled death scene and a good send-off that they should have just left alone.

- Introduce a retcon that the brief intrusion of the Dead Universe into the main reality caused alterations in spacetime, as a wholesale explanation for the continuity errors and character changes between the "-ation" series and "All Hail Megatron".

They've pretty much implicitly retconned it out of existence, haven't they? In the case of the Clone Saga, I'd make a retcon that it did happen, but was a lot shorter, with the possibility of Ben having survived the new ending. Release a 6-issue mini-series to tell the entire retconned story and maybe spin Ben off into his own title.

9. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with aunt may, that was good.

10. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If we're going with Spider-Man
    Peter unmasking during Civil War - I know it was a way to bring more of an impact to the story, but as Deadpool once said, it will screw up his continuity for years to come.

One More Day
    Aunt May's Death
    Ben Reilly's Death
    SPIDERCIDE
    The return of Harry Osborn
    The return of Peter's original spider powers (I liked his newly enhanced powers from the Spider avatar)
    Mac Gargan as Venom

I don't really know what else, but I haven't been really satisfied with Amazing Spider-Man since the 1990's when Mark Bagley was drawing; issues 350 up to 400. I still don't know why I even collect it anymore.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Funnily enough, I left Amazing Spider-Man when Mark Bagley left the book at the end of Marvel: Onslaught, and that was the end of my interest in Marvel comics.

Years later, I was disgusted to learn that Norman Osbourne was back (AGAIN) and that they killed off Ben Reilly as if he was less than nothing. I liked how having Ben around gave a new perspective on Spider-Man without removing the real Spider-Man from the picture (though at the time, the Clone Saga said Ben was the original Peter Parker).

12. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

honestly i would retcon things so queseda left the same time as jemas.

i would retcon things so millar, bendis, and chuck austin stayed in the ultimate universe and never ran roughshod over the main marvel u

i would retcon 'No More Mutants' 'messiah Complex' 'OMD' 'the ending of civil war'

i would retcon the clone saga so they didn't drag it out with the who's the real spiderman, i would keep ben reilly because i really liked him, he was really starting to develop his own character, and the scarlet spider was a cool visual

13. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

retcon
    one more day-even though it will eventually get retcon-
    sins of the past-even the original author WANTED TO RETCON-
    Ben really on the scarlet spidey suit to come back.
    Scopivenom
    and let aunt may die
    oh and let MJ and Peter to remember they had a daugther.

all hail megs-same reasons as above-

I think thats it.

I would say the entire marvel universe(s) at times though.......

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Heroes Reborn. Just because it prematurely ended a perfectly good Captain America run. Sure, Waid and Garney came back afterwards but it just wasn't the same...

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Ultimatum would be removed from main continuity and rebranded as a joke title Ultimate Grindhouse.

All Hail Megatron would take place in another universe as it was supposed to and Furman's stories would be allowed to continue.
    I would also retcon reality so Furman could tell those stories more concisely. :) 

I think that would fix all the other Spidey retcon desires.
    All of them.

16. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

One More Day is at the absolute top of the list. Spider-Man and Mary Jane are THE iconic couple of Marvel Comics. It's like breaking up Superman and Lois Lane. It is, quite simply, the worst idea in a long, sad history of bad ideas.

Second up is Crisis on Infinite Earths. As epically, orgasmically awesome on toast as it was, it ended up creating MANY more problems than it solved. Used to be, when there was a glaring continuity error, we could just shove it into Earth-90210 or whatever was the most conveniently available number. Up until 52, they've actually had to think of reasons for these errors, and the reasons they've come up with have basically sucked eggs. It's been partially undone thanks to the events of Infinite Crisis, but it just isn't the same. The new Earth-2 isn't the home of the Golden Age characters. It's just a facsimile. And besides, Kal-L is gone, so it wouldn't be the same, anyway. :( 

17. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

you just reminded me of the reason i hate geoff johns.

What he did to Kal-L the original superman is unforgivable in my book.

18. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I'd go with erasing OMD from existence. Because Peter & Mary Jane stay married while Aunt May bites it finally. Win/win.

Also, I'd retcon Jeph Loeb out as the writer of Ultimatum and put Mark Millar on the book--he can do carnage with a straight face.

19. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    This. However, my initial thought was to send him to the Heroes Reborn universe, but then what? We'd be stuck with 2 Spidermen again.

Then is hit me.

Exiles. Ben should be a permanent member of the Exiles and when the book finished, he could have just hung out in our universe popping up here and there.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I'd stick him on the Avengers and let Spider-Man be his own man again, it doesn't really sit with me that Spider-Man is on a team, especially how they've been writing him of late in those books since OMD.