If you could open a toy store...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

...for Transformers of course, what lines would you stock? What would you do different from Walmart, Target, and TRU? How much would you charge?

I've entertained this idea recently. Not seriously, but rather in a hypothetical sense. I just thought it would be cool to find stores that carried older lines as well as the new stuff. It's frustrating to have to find figures online that are no longer circulating retail coupled with having to pay the inflated and aftermarket prices.

I was going to post this in GD, but wasn't sure. It does pertain to toys, but is not as particular as some of the other topics in this forum. Please move if it's in the wrong forum.

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i think this is in the wrong forum..this forum is for discussing toys

3. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    My friend is opening a comic book store oon, and asked me to be his Transformers guy. Of course, I'd stock any and all lines, though I might be hesitant to stock Go-bots (the kids ones, not the cool 80s ones). Then again, I might end up buying most of them myself...

4. Satomiblood

We actually are discussing toys. Like, which lines we would carry in particular. I was going to post this on GD, but it could fit this forum.

5. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

I've also thought about having my own little toy store. I'd stock a little bit of Universe stuff but thats about it of current lines. Hard to compete with big stores on that kind of stuff.

I'd focus hard on imports. Especially Masterpiece and Encore lines. TFCC, Botcon, FansProject, etc. Pretty much all the stuff you can get from BBTS, TFSource, etc but at a local spot to save on shipping. I'd take pre-orders to. I'd buy large older collections and resell at an actual reasonable price to focus on moving quantity.

I would have a section dedicated to sell customs. I would have a big screen constantly playing episodes, the 86 move, the live action movie, etc. Another screen would stream pictures of customer's collections. Put in a couch and some chairs.

I wouldn't do just TFs but most of it would be. I'd do some SoC, Macross, Gundam models, and other robot import lines. I'd sell via website and ebay store also. But mainly I would want it to be a comfortable place where TF fans could actually hang out for an hour or so looking at stuff and talking.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i would stock everything i could get my hands on. save some of the cool stuff for my friend cory and myself. then sell the rest

7. Satomiblood

That's actually a very good idea and it encourages more of a community among collectors. Not that this doesn't happen, what with annual conventions and all, but this would be more frequent.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If I have a toy store that sells nothing but Transformers, I'll have every single thing that I can get in stock and sell for suggested retail price. Maybe throw in a reward program card, so you could get some discounts and such :) .

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem with a B&M store is that you'll have a higher overhead then say TFsource or BBTS. That means you'll have to charge more, and more then likely you wouldn't be able to buy in the volume they can, so you'd end up getting things after them too.

10. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

While that's a noble thought, not sure how realistic it is. I've been buying collections for 10 years now and the last few years things have really dried up. The few collections that you come across now are generally priced on par with Ebay and that leaves very little room for you to turn a profit selling at "actual reasonable price".

Selling "quantity" is a great idea... The problem is there's no easy source for your supply of stock. If there were, prices wouldn't be so high to begin with.

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

That's an understatement... I have a friend who's co-owner of a Dry Cleaners. Their retail space rent is $14,000 per month! Now, that's probably about 3x the size needed for a store, but you could still be looking at $5,000 per month in costs before you stock a single item or pay the 1st worker.

12. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Yeah, retail rent is kind of impossible these days. Especially if you want to be in a nice area, good location, and lots of traffic. Its pretty much killed a large portion of the American dream, starting your own business. I see so many places open and they are closed in litterally a month. If they aren't a huge hit right off the bat they don't have enough money to keep it going. I don't see how any mom and pop B&M's can make it unless they are selling extremely expensive highly overpriced designer stuff. And with the economy now even those stores are going to be closing soon.

I thought maybe a home business could work. If you found the right kind of house in the right location. Pave the front and back yards for parking. But it can be hard to get new customers to just walk in and look at these kinds of places.

As for finding collections, I don't think it would be that hard. When you have a store that advertises they buy stuff, ppl come out of the woodwork to sell it to you. If I'm selling out of everything I get though I could defintely run dry quick.

13. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I would recommend getting a small hobby shop, aiming for the nostalgia factor, carrying encores, reissues and G1s, mostly japanese stuff. Over here some specialized shops sell store exlcuisve items since they can't be found at retail.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have thought about this myself. I would not try and compete with the big boys (Walmart et al.). I would stick to the harder to find import items that are not available at mass retail. If you could manage to get items before the main stores, then I would carry them to jump on the impatient fans out there who will pay a premium to have the toy now.

15. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    ah i see..i kinda misunderstood the topic...well, i cant really say which lines i'd sell :D  probably the lines im collecting...lol

16. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I wanna open my own Geek Plaza, if you will, a plaza with 2 or more stores all connected for a pleasant shopping experience and a place for geeks to hang out.

Stores would include but not limited to:

LAN Center/PC Store - play games online, buy PCs or PC parts and games. PC running slow? we do repairs. Wanna upgrade to a new video card? we can help. Wanna play a game? we're the place.

Diner/Cafe': Have a variety of food ranging from burgers to sandwiches, from chicken to pizza (whole or by the slice). Specialty foods such as recipe's designed by the cooks and even nice little side items such as baked potatoes, cheddar jalapeno bites etc. Want something spicy? we got it. want something for your lunch break? grab a sandwich. want something to feed an entire party? we do large orders for cheap.

Comic Book Shop: would sale comics and action figures, would feature a nice lounge area for readers to sit and relax and enjoy their newest issue of Transformers, Spider-Man, Batman etc.

All this im thinking in a plaza near the beach so customers could have a nice ocean view, and I could go surfing on my lunch break :D 

17. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

The food court would have to server stuff like Hot Pockets, Ramen, Jinos Pizza/Mr.P's, Frozen Burritos, Funyuns, Ravioli, and Balls to wash it all down if you want authentic geek food heh.

18. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    It's Bawls not Balls, get your mind out of the gutter.

LAN Center would sale Bawls, Jolt and lots of other energy drinks/sodas/teas. They'd also have an assortment of candies, chips and other fine geeky snacks, even some healthy snacks and drinks.

The "Cafe" would be a place to go for real food because "geek kind cannot live on Bawls and gummy worms alone". It would also be a place to grab a bite to during the day, when you're out with a group or w/e. Not just for geeks/gamers but they will make up about 1/4 of the customers. As for the food they won't serve any frozen foods or grocery store foods, it'll all be made in the kitchen, no cooking frozen pizzas or anything. It'll be a fun little place to hang out with friends, grab a bite to eat, get you some reading material and kill a few hours online all in one convenient location.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd probably try and start out by renting a small bit of shop space in an existing store like a model shop or something. Modelling customers might appreciate a few nice Transformers things while they're in looking for kits. Must work out cheaper than having to keep a whole shop for yourself.
    Obviously also have an online store too.

20. Satomiblood

LOL @ "Geek Food"