If you could give up 1 Transformers line that you collect, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by perithimus, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I only collect Movie and Animated at the moment, with maybe some Universe. Picking between the first two, I'd probably choose to halt Animated. Tough choice though, as it'd be hard to resist new toys coming out. Otherwise I'd scrap my plans of Universe.

2. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movie, b/c I only have 3 toys from that line and like only 2 of them

3. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie line. I wish I haven't collected the '07 movie figs. all but two figs are in storage...

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Well Counting all the posts It looks like Movie Line Sux. I for one am not going to buy any movie line figures unless they are new characters as it stands now.

Movie - 23
    Titanium - 5
    Animated - 4
    Alternators - 1
    Didnt count energon I never liked the line anyway.

5. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Uh... this thread asks which one people would give up. Not which one sucks. The fact all these people DO collect it, indicates that it's really popular.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Meh, lots of people were going nuts for them when we were seeing the first movie toy pics... and when you couldn't find movie toys anywhere for three months because they were so darn successful, people were nuts again because they couldn't get them.

I know the movie aesthetic isn't for everyone, but I think at least a portion of the negative reaction in this thread is fallout from the fact they've been on shelves for the last 18 months and people are flat out sick of them. Heck, the movie toys are my favorite mainline ever, and even I'm tired of seeing them.

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have G1, some G2, Classics 1.0, Classics 2.0, some Titanium, Alternators/Binaltech, and a few Movie and Animated. I would get rid of the last 2....they really do not give me the fascination as the other lines do. Of the two that I do not want in there, I would say that the movie line has to go.

8. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think the movie toys suck, I think they're great but I just have regrets on buying all those repaints and toys that where not in the movie.

9. SmF

SmF Well-Known Member

I agree completely, I really regretted buying any of the movie TFs to be honest. I don't think I even like ANY of the ones I have right now..

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

LOL I only do collect one line...

Anything else I may get from another line is for bashing or for parts.

11. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the movie line sucks either. I quite like it, I just like Universe a little bit better.
    Although I have been a bit put off the movie line by Concept Camaro Bumblebee. I finally got my hands on one, transform it a couple times, the chest automorph breaks, I go through the steps to fix it and it's more or less OK (still not quite right but you wouldn't be able to tell at a glance), then I go home for the holidays, come back and try to transform it again....now it pretty much looks a car that crashed about ten times.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd give up G1...and probably will in the near future. So much of the vintage G1 stuff, and reissues, I've purchased have been a case of buying the figures because it was either one I missed as a kid or something I feel I "should" have as a collector. Looking back on a lot of those purchases now, I strongly regret spending so much on 25-year-old figures/molds that I'm not really nostalgic for, aren't all that fun and don't look as good on display as the newer stuff I have.

Looking at the three current main lines, though, it's hard to choose. I love the Movie line, as it's a fresh aesthetic and a new take on the characters after so many years of boring G1-rehash. However, I'm definitely not going to be getting as many toys from ROTF (no new/retooled figures of characters from the first movie, no repaints) and the line could have stood some time off shelves before the ROTF stuff cycles in. Animated has a great, unique aesthetic and I love how fun the toys are. They look so different from the rest of my collection and I like that. However, there's still a lot of G1-rehash. I'd actually probably give up Classics/Universe 2.0. A lot of the toys are still very well-built, but the quality of the engineering has been going downhill in Universe 2.0. There's also nothing really unique or interesting about the line, IMO, given that it's just regurgitating concepts from G1...because of that, it blends in too much with my Unicron Trilogy stuff (which was also heavy on G1 homages) and doesn't really stand out or grab my attention. Again, TFU/Classics is kind of a line I buy because I feel I "should" as a collector, rather than one I'm crazy about.

13. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Classics 2.0 and Henkei

14. AMG

AMG Old School

Titanium line.