If You Could Ask Your Favorite Transformers Costumers Questions, What Would They Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by MiraiBaby, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MiraiBaby

MiraiBaby Til All Are Gone

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to get together a list of questions that we could potentially have answered by the time our conventions roll around (since in past times it's been seen we don't have a lot of QnA during the ends of our panels -- we're not sure if that's a good thing or not!).

Anyway, we're looking for a good list of questions we can have already answered during panels at BotCons, Comic-Cons, TFCons, or other panels in case the QnA is lacking.

So, like the title suggests (and like I've hopefully described alright), if you're just starting out building your very first Giant Robot costume (or wanted help with your own rig if you're in the middle of building one), which questions would you ask that could be answered with examples or explanations?

Thanks for taking the time -- we hope to see you soon!
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/transcostumers/

2. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I happen to be at a karate tournament right this very instant with the gentleman that was in the Grimlock costume at Botcon. What would you like to know? Its fun that we are both karate instructors and TF fans.

3. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol hey, Sentinel. You mean you and your brother, right? :p 
    (I hope I'm remembering the right people here!)

I was more looking for questions I can get from budding Transformers costumers that might need a little help With their own rigs, or help starting down the right path.

NatsumeRyu of TransCostumers is trying to get together a good list of FAQ's for her robo-building panel at GlitchCon this year, bur we need a little help getting some of those actual questions down.

4. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Nope, it was the brother that I know, I am not one of the guys in the suits. One of the brothers is a martial arts instructor and part of the same organization that I am and the other brother I haven't met.

Sorry for the confusion.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "What materials are commonly used in TF costumes, and what are the pros/cons of each?"

"What kind of tools do you need to get started, and how can you learn the skills you need?"

"How do you choose which character to do, what are the things that make a character a good or bad choice for a costume?"

"What's a good way to get started making TF costumes? Are there any good online resources?"

7. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aahaha, no worries, Sentinel! :D  I know those cats personally (well, semi-personally) and they're some really cool dudes. That's awesome that you get to work alongside them!

Thanks, Aernaroth! We hope to get a good base of questions just in case our QnA sessions are lax during our panels in a few months. :) 

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably just ask them where Cybertronian babies come from.

9. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL Cybertronian babies come in sheets of plastic (or foam. or fabric. or fiberglass. or cardboard.) and assembly is required.

It's OK, though, the delivery's cool .... but making the baby's the fun part. ;) 

10. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up.

11. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up.

12. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Maybe something about where to get some of the more obscure raw materials? A lot of the stuff used to make costumes either isn't the kind of thing you could find at the local craft store or website, or would be too expensive to buy in small quantities. It could be helpful to share websites or other places to get stuff like craft foam or coroplast wholesale.

13. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooh, good idea ... Especially since there are tons of different materials you can make costumes out of. :p 

14. MiraiBaby

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up!

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "Joints. How do you do them properly? What kinds of things can you do to maximize flexibility, minimize chances of injury (pinching, tripping, etc.), and still make it look good?"

"Under what kind of conditions can electronics improve a costume? What are some things a novice costumer can do with electronics using off-the-shelf parts from local stores?"

"What can you do to keep paint from scratching or chipping, depending on what material the costume is made out of?"

"How can you improve visibility without sacrificing aesthetics?"

"What kinds of things can a costumer do in terms of design or wearing to prevent overheating?"

"Storage and Transport. What works?"

"What sorts of common convention rules/conditions can impact costume design?"

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011