If WETA did instead of ILM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I kind of wonder if the people who seem to be the ILM fan boys right now would be WETA fan boys if Transformers had been done by WETA instead. If perhaps loyalty to Transformers doesn't somehow color their opinion.

Really fantastic work by both companies and as film fans we all get to benefit from each company always attempting to out do the other company.

2. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    I do enjoy both companies but I just find that ILM's work fits better into the picture. They don't look as placed in. All in all they are both top notch and the 2 best out their. But I think the movie verse style wouldn't of differed too much. I just don't think WETA could handle the big shots on screen.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Why deliberately propose a step down?

WETA makes really good effects. ILM does photo-real effects that you would swear are real.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would argue WETA has the edge these days in practical effects, as ILM has gone almost exclusively to CGI. Increased use of practical effects may have changed the films in some way, but I doubt it would be a large change.

5. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can’t believe no one’s mentioned that WETA worked on Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which is quite possibly some of the greatest CGI I’ve seen in the last five years.

6. r6680jc

r6680jc Well-Known Member

I believe someone mentioned it on another thread, but he said that the CGI on Rise of the Planet of the Apes didn't look so real, he didn't say it was bad. It was great, but it was still recognizable as CGI.

7. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    I've been an ILM fanboy looooong before Transformers. Heck, if ILM had never been formed I highly doubt any of these films would exist. For that matter, most visual effects companies wouldn't exist; or at least they would be nowhere as advanced as they are. WETA would have never been formed if George Lucas hadn't pioneered the art of CGI.

(Yes, I'm a George Lucas fan too)

8. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

You're right, i realize that LOTR was a long time ago, but I saw the same CGIness in POTA which made me think WETA hasn't advanced - although you could say that about some ILM work too. I guess that it depends on the actual people dedicated to a certain project.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion the Hulk's realism (2003) was perfect, with the exception of a very few shots (when he stands on top of the hill in San Francisco all dirty just looked super imposed, probably due to the "sun" hitting his upper half), but when he gets hit in the shoulder by a missile in the desert, he looks amazingly real. The FX in the second Hulk paled in comparison, I was disappointed.

No, I'd still be openly biased towards ILM. I mean "Sherlock holmes and the Pyramid . . . ", The Abyss, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park were the real breakthroughs. Then there was a lot of wannabees for a long time. WETA did a great job with LOTR, and it worked for the movies, but I wasn't fooled ;-) I think back to the scene where the main group of characters runs between the pillars :lol  looks just as fake, as the human, flicked by Megatron in TF1.

9. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, ILM's Hulk was perfect, because Ang Lee asked them to render a Macy's Thanksgiving Hulk balloon. It looks like ILM will do much better on The Avengers what with the right steps taken in the last film to give the Hulk an intimidating design, because it doesn't matter how well you render it, if it didn't look cool as a piece of concept art then it probably won't be cool on screen.

10. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    I found the apes to not look real at all except the Gorilla.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    There's been no confirmation as to whether or not ILM is working on the Hulk for The Avengers. It might be Weta Digital or even Luma Pictures. Or it could be ILM. Either way, no confirmation.

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I think it would have probably looked just as good. Both are great houses with impressive resumes. But I'm remembering watching and reading a lot of stuff that explained how MBay was cracking the whip on the effects people to make things look the way they did, especially in terms of lighting. I think that under the same pressure, WETA could have turned out roughly the same product. As for all this Gollum talk: just watched all of LOTR extended editions on bluray, and he looked freaking awesome.

13. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

That He Does!! I've Been A Huge Lord of the Rings Fan Since I First Saw it in theaters
    I was 9 at the time :D  And Gollum Still Looks Awesome After 10 Years! :thumbs2: 

14. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Check ILM's official site.

15. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I'd love to see what weta could do with TF's. I was always of the opinion that ILM did robots/machines the best, and that organic creatures were Weta's forte. The I saw District 9, marvelled at their abilty to do bot organic and mechanical, and became convinced that Weta are indeed the masters of their art.

16. Igniting_Prime

Igniting_Prime Igniting The Battle

News Credits:
    This. It has been confirmed for a while now on their website that ILM is doing the work for The Avengers. They worked on Iron Man and Hulk so it was only fitting they would do it....plus there would be no way they would allow anyone else near Iron Man when it came to the job. No way.

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    itd probably be pretty much exactly the same

cuz we'd still have Michael Bay directing/driving the visual-look of the film

18. Igniting_Prime

Igniting_Prime Igniting The Battle

News Credits:
    For ROTPOTA, the CGI was very good, as well as the interactions. But not once did I ever reach a point in the film where I actually BELIEVED that the apes were 100% real. As good as their CGI is, it still doesnt comprehend to the level of ILM. ILM makes you diverse into the designs believing they are actually there and the actors are actually interacting with those characters in real life is how real their work is. Not once did I ever find myself not thinking the apes looked fake. The detail and interaction was great, but Transformers just did it better. More detail, more interaction, and looked like they were actually there.
    That's where ILM wins.

19. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I think WETA's better at making organic looking effects, like plants and animals, but ILM makes better looking metallic items

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Oh, believe me, I do check ILM's site. Regularly. And the "unofficial" fan site. As my first post stated, there's no confirmation that ILM is WORKING ON THE HULK. I never said that they weren't working on the movie, because they totally are. I'm aware of that. ILM working on Iron Man? Most definitely. Hulk? Not confirmed. Could they be? Yes. Has anybody read "ILM is officially signed on to work on the Hulk"? "ILM to do Hulk FX"? No. When you also have Weta working on it, there's a good chance they could be working on the Hulk instead. My first post explains that clearly. :)