If Victory was dubbed and localized, what do you think of these names?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    It's always been a fan's dream of mine to see Transformers: Victory dubbed and localized to be shown on U.S. TV for kids to enjoy. Probably wouldn't happen any time in the near future, but if it was to happen, it's a safe bet that a large number of the names would have to be changed because they either make no sense in English or contain offensive words like "death" and "kill". Here is my list of proposed name changes if this where to happen.

Autobots

Blacker, Laster and Braver:

These would definitely be changed, since they simply make no sense in English. Now, as many of you know the UK recolors/releases of these guys were called Gripper, Flame and Lightspeed. Flame is a bit generic, so let's change that to Flameblast. The others easily make sense. (Gripper, his tires grip the road. I mean, Hubcap was an acceptable name...)

New names:
    Gripper, Flameblast, Lightspeed.

Road Caesar:

This still kind of makes sense, but it's more than likely to end up as something like Road King.

New name: Road King.

The Multiforce: Wing, Waver, Dash, Tacker, Mach, Tackle.

Of these, "Tacker" is really the only one that doesn't make a lot of sense. "Waver" doesn't really, either, but I could see that staying the same. Change "Tacker" to "Tracker" and then you've got names that work.

New name: "Tracker" in place of "Tacker".

Landcross:

Doesn't make a lot of sense, except for vaguely implying he "crosses land". Slightly modify it to...

New name: Landstrider

The Rescue Patrol Team: Holi, Pipo, Boater, Fire.

They either make no sense, or are totally generic. Fortunately, we have the old U.S. release names from the toys that make perfect sense.

New names: Stakeout, Fixit, Seawatch, Red Hot.

Ginrai:

Now, you can see this coming. Say what you will about who the character is, but no character wearing the skin of the most recognizable Transformer in the world isn't going to be called Optimus Prime in America.

New name: Duck and cover from purists, it would be Optimus Prime.

Victory Leo:

I imagine he'd end up being Victory Prime.

New name: Victory Prime.

Jan/Jean:

Maybe something slight.

New name: John.

Might need changing: Clipper & Minerva.

Well, Clipper is rather generic, so maybe Autobot Clipper. Minerva could work, plus she's not featured much. That might stay the same.

Need no changing: Star Saber/Victory Saber, Greatshot, Galaxy Shuttle, Wheeljack, Perceptor.

Star Saber and Victory Saber work, and need to modifying. Ditto Greatshot. Galaxy Shuttle is self explanatory and works. And Wheeljack and Perceptor? C'mon, of course they stay the same.

Decepticons

Deszaras/Deathsaurus:

One name makes no sense, and the other makes reference to "death", so that's out. And no, I don't advocate changing him to Megatron, like RiD Megatron, though it wouldn't be out of the question. I think he should remain a separate character with a tweaked name.

New name: Destroyas.

Breastforce - Leozack, Drillhorn, Jaruga/Jallguar, Gaihawk/Guyhawk, Killbison, Hellbat, Deathcobra:

Oh boy. Where to begin. First off, "Breastforce" would never, even happen. It's silly and ridiculous. "Breastplate Force" might work, but it's a mouthful.

As for the individual names, keep to a theme. Everyone has animal names in the name, except for Drillhorn. Removing words that make no sense, like "zack", and changing the offensive words like "Hell" and "Death" would leave us with something more like this:

New names: Beastforce - Leofang or Lionfang, Drill Rhino, Pantherclaw, Icehawk, Firebison, Hypnobat, Bladecobra.

They all have animal names, hence "Beastforce" and they make sense. "Jaruga/Jallguar" was obviously "Jaguar", though the character is actually based on a panther. Each character now has an animal and a type of attack or weapon in their name, and they can fit with what the character actually does. (Gaihawk/Guyhawk's "Ice needle", Hellbat's hypnosis.) The renamed "Dezsaras" would also still be a member of this "Beastforce", even without an animal name. Can't be perfect, I suppose.

Leokaiser/Liokaiser:

Could probably stay the same, barring a slight change to...

New name: Lion Kaiser.

The Dinoforce - Goryu, Kakuryu, Gairyu, Yokuryu, Rairyu and Doryu.

Obviously they wouldn't fly in an English dub, but why not use the perfectly acceptable names from Monstructor? The shells are different, but the 'bots inside are the same.

New names: Birdbrain, Bristleback, Icepick, Scowl, Slog, Wildfly.

Blue Bacchus and Black Shadow:

I don't see "Bacchus" being used on a U.S. show. Black Shadow is a good name, but both had cool Omni dub names...

New names: Crossblades and Thunderwing.

Needs no changing:

Dino King.

Hope you enjoyed my list. I spent a lot of time thinking about this, for some reason!

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think most of what you came up with are pretty good, but I think "Destroyas" isn't going to fly with American audiences.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :eek: 

I'm perfectly content with the Japanese names. Also, you make a good case there for the US NOT to "localize" it...

Nice try, though.

4. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

The names are okay, except for one thing...we are NOT calling Deszaras/Deathsaurus "Destroyas". Partially because it sound too much like "Destroyah" (Which is trademarked by Toho, I think), and partially because it seems, IMHO, stupid.
    Besides, I kind of like Deszaras as a name.

Also, I think Ginrai is supposed to be a separate character from Optimus.

5. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Loyal Knight

Most names work, but what's wrong with the "Leos"? Leobreaker was fine. And why change Victory Leo?

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Oh, he is. I just don't think they'd ever call him that in America.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That's true, it doesn't really need to be.

8. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Well, they could at least give him a different name to differentiate him from Optimus.

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    What I meant was, in the unlikely event it was ever dubbed for the U.S., they'd certainly call him Prime because of his look, I mean, it's Prime's body, the most iconic Transformer of all.

You know "Fire Convoy" on RiD wasn't technically Optimus Prime, either, but they called him that.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Always thought 'Beast Force' was the way to go. :thumb 

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Huzzah! Yeah, it makes sense, they all have Beast buddies.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Victory Prime oh hell no. Star Saber is a US Trademark name thanks to Armada.

Dezaras is easier to pronouce and Deathsarus sounds like a better name written.

Now my real question is who would voice these guys?

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    breastplate force? ... how about Armor Force instead? since the breast plate is a peice of armor? and the little animals change in to guns, armorments? see ARMOR?

deszaras is a referance to kaiju wrestling. sure amercians wont know what that is but his name should be semi alien given his alt mode is really strange looking.

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    You guys raise good points, maybe Deszaras would stick. And yeah, maybe Leo Prime instead of Victory Leo, or Leobreaker. We did get a Universe Leo Prime figure that I totally forgot about.

The voice actors, good question. Now that's a whole 'nother story! Maybe Gary Chalk as Star Saber, and Peter Cullen as Ginrai/Optimus in a small cameo. Maybe Daniel Riordan from RiD as Deszaras, to keep him like RiD Megatron. Steve Blum as Leozack! Or Leofang, if we're going on my made up names.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Peter Cullen won't work as Ginrai. Ginrai isn't Optimus; it makes more sense to think of him as 'Son of Optimus', although that isn't 100% accurate, either. I always thought David Kaye doing his TFA Optimus voice would make for the perfect Ginrai.

One of my VA dreams is of hearing Clancy Brown voice Megatron or some other Decepticon commander. I vote him for Deathsaurus.

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Good picks! Especially David Kaye as Ginrai, that is a great idea.

17. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

No, they should all be named "Billy". :D 

18. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:

New name: Duck and cover from purists, it would be Optimus Prime.

Victory Leo:

I imagine he'd end up being Victory Prime.

New name: Victory Prime.
    [/QUOTE]

Or you could called Ginrai "Victory Prime," "Victory Optimus Prime," or "Master (Optimus) Prime" (as a reference to his Origins in Masterforce) and then call Leo Prime "Victory Leo Prime." I understand your reasoning for saying he'd need to be called simply "Optimus Prime," but if they intend to depict him as a wholly different character, I could see them changing the name up just a bit.

Then again, they could easily retcon Ginrai into being the same character as Optimus by slapping some "Human Ginrai's bonding with the transtector in Masterforce enticed Optimus' Spark back to the land of the living at the end of Masterforce" or some such BS.

19. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

You apparently do not realize that the cross in landcross refers to the fact he is a combiner, just thought I would throw that out there. Most of the names are fine as they are with a small amount of romanization.

Wait! In hindsight, it would seem I spoke to soon, as it would seem that most people didn't care enough about the actual media to learn what any of them were or what their names meant anyway, so carry on, I would guess that things would need to be. simplified

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  20. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That's why he's called Landcross? Are you serious? Do you have any sources on that? I love Landcross, I even use that name as a handle on other sites. I always assumed it was a vague reference to crossing land.

Who do you mean though, that didn't care enough about the actual media to learn the names though? I've watched all of Victory, I've always loved it. I just know that most of the names don't make sense in America.

Oh, and Billzilla...good points all.