If There Will be TF4, Please Call Out Their Names More than Once!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ken8kuhletz08, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ken8kuhletz08

ken8kuhletz08 JKC

News Credits:
    Really, from all the Transformers Movies, I can only name few of the Cybertronians, mostly because they had lengthy screen time from the three movies.

In the G1 movies, they really made emphasis on their names to show the viewers their importance. But by the looks of the live action movies, all we see were just random Decepticons, with the exception of few with animal-like physique.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the live action movies. But Bay needs to know his robots for once...

P.S. If you're getting sick of all these TF4 threads, then I apologize. I just want to make my point. Thanks!

:) 

2. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    lol I agree:

"The name's Que."
    "Dino, I got 'em."
    etc.

EDIT- I take take first one back. Que was named twice.

3. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    "We gotta go, que!"

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Dino was named twice as well, they say "Dino report" in the NEST sequence or something.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd rather they not be "named" multiple times, if it means shoehorning their names into the dialogue just so kids know what toy to tell their parents to buy.

That being said, it shouldn't be that hard to use a character's name a couple times over the course of a feature film... unless of course you only give that character a few minutes of screentime in a dizzying action sequence.

6. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

"Sideswipe, the silver car, report to bay 77 for weapons assessment of those cool dual swords you have and those mini blasters you have on your back. Then we'd like to tell you how cool you are".

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I disagree because It makes me feel like they get forgotten easily in the flood of CGI robot carnage.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    But how would saying their names on screen make a difference? They all have names. They go through lengthy design and modelling process called something. They're hardly forgotten. Each totally new designed robot is far from forgotten.

Besides, normal folks won't care. Us fans already know. So what's the difference? They're background characters. It's not like it's Optimus or Bumblebee we're talking about. When you realise the amount of robots I'm surprised they get named as much as they do. That's like insisting every single NEST soldier in the background be named.

9. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    We could add little nametags with arrows pointing to them if you'd like.

Actually that would make a pretty cool DVD extra.

10. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Haha, and when it is the Autobot Captured scene, all of the Protoforms have a name tag, "Cannon Fodder" above their heads. Then when the fight starts, you'll notice all the name tags disappearing after about 3 seconds as Soundwave blasts his own soldiers.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    You have to remember that yes, while naming characters is important - as it introduces us the audience to them - you can't just be constantly naming every. single. robot. character. in. every. single. scene. It'd get boring and repetitive and boring and repetitive. Is Ivan Vanko constantly referred to as "Ivan Vanko" throughout Iron Man 2? No. But he is named several times. Or take POC2 and 3. How many times is the name "Maccus" uttered? None? That's right. But he's Davy Jones' right hand man. He's definitely got a presence in the movie; similar to Starscream. What about Jurassic Park III? Does anybody really remember "Cooper"? Being named is only part of who the character is/getting the audience to know them. You can remain nameless and still be a great character, and you can be name-dropped 50 times in a movie and people won't necessarily give a s**t. Their contribution to the movie, their personality, their behaviour, actions, etc. all play a role in audiences remembering them.

Who the heck would care if Crankcase, Crowbar and Hatchet were named several times (or even once)? Would it matter? No. The main characters who served a purpose were named. The Dreads are really no different than the robbers at the start of The Dark Knight. Were they named? I don't think so. Did it matter? Nope. And did audiences seem to care? Not a chance.

I'll give you some numbers. The following characters were named throughout the trilogy, whether it was by fellow Transformers, human characters or subtitles. THREE different methods of addressing them.

From the first movie, the following were named-dropped:

Megatron: 16 by name, and at least 4 times by nicknames ("NBE-1", etc.), the most times named for a Transformers character in the first movie.
    Optimus: 10 times
    Bumblebee: 10
    Ironhide: 3
    Ratchet: 3
    Starscream: 3
    Jazz: 2
    Barricade: 1 (Cybertronian subtitle)
    Blackout: 1 (Cybertronian subtitle)
    Bonecrusher: 1 (Cybertronian subtitle)
    Brawl/Devastator: 1 (Cybertronian subtitle)
    Frenzy: 0
    Scorponok: 0

RotF:

Optimus: 21 times
    Bumblebee: 19 times
    The Fallen: 14 times
    Megatron: 7 named, 5 times by nicknames/titles ("NBE-1", "master", etc.)
    Ironhide: 6
    The Twins: 5 times by name ("Twins" or "Mudflap") and once by a nickname "Huey and Duey")
    Jetfire: 5
    Starscream: 3
    Arcee: 2
    Scalpel: 2 (simply as "Doctor" or "ze Doctor")
    Soundwave: 1
    Wheelie: 1
    Sideswipe: 1
    Jolt: 1
    Rampage: 1
    Devastator: 1
    Ratchet: 0
    Demolishor: 0
    Random Constructicons: 0

DotM:

I haven't gathered all of the numbers for DotM, but here's what I have so far (ie, NOT COMPLETE aka, there's MORE)

Optimus: at least 22 times
    Sentinel: at least 20 times
    Bumblebee: at least 10 times
    Ironhide: 5
    Wreckers: at least 4 times
    Brains: 4
    Shockwave: 4
    Megatron: at least 3 times
    Soundwave: 3
    Dino: 2
    Ratchet: 2
    Que: 2
    Laserbeak: 1
    Sideswipe: 1
    Starscream: 0
    Wheelie: 0
    Dreads: 0
    Barricade: 0
    Random protoforms: 0

Now, could these numbers have been increased? Sure. But those are by no means low numbers. As I said above, it's just dumb to be constantly addressing every character by their name whenever they're in the shot. All of the important characters got addressed in each movie at least once (with the exception of Frenzy, Scorponok, Ratchet in RotF, Wheelie and Starscream in DotM). So, for what it's worth Bay did "know his robots". :rolleyes: 

12. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Fixed

Skids name was mentioned when Mudflap was beign sucked by Devastator

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Never a bad idea.

14. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are just quick mock-ups, but how about blue for Autobots and red for Decepticons?

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Son-of-a-gun, you're right. I just couldn't tell that from all of their incessant incoherent jabbering. :lol  But I good listen proved it! It only strengthens my point.

16. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

While many are disapointed with Shockwave, atleast he was named not once, but 4 times. Cant say the same about other cons.
    For those wondering when hes named:
    "That, is Shockwave"- OP
    "Shockwave can't hunt all of us at once..."- OP
    "Shockwaves coming!"- Brains.
    "Alright we got 4 targets and Shockwave bellow us"- Lennox.

17. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
  18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Introduce them the way new characters are introduced in Japanese anime - with a little on-screen caption telling us who they are and what role they play.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    This could work in a series, but in a film I think it would wreak havok on the already shaky pacing in a lot of the scenes, though some action films have managed to do that kind of thing well. Usually ones with an internal monologue narrative though, so something of a different style than the Bay films.

Actually, thinking about the nametag idea got me thinking, I would absolutely love, LOVE to see a "pop-up video" style commentary version of the Bay films, that points out a lot of the minor details and tells about production anecdotes, history, etc. They did a TF Trivia track for one of the releases of the '86 movie (I think), and that was pretty cool.

Neat! Nice job!

20. Dark Neptune

Dark Neptune Autocon

Some1 has been playing too much FPS haha. This gave me a good laugh!