If there was any doubt that SNL is dead and buried...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Whatchoo talking about? Hammond's been the funniest cast member hands down since like '96. Sanz was really only ever funny when he and Fallon were bouncing off each other. Pretty much ANYthing with those two was gold. Parnell was hit and miss, but Mitchell was consistently pretty funny no matter what the hell he was doing; he's just a goofy motherfucker.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I don't think I've watched SNL for...I dunno, like two or so years? If I ever catch the beginning of a skit and then recognize the SNL actors, I usually give it a minute or two and then change the channel. None of the stuff they've done recently has tickled my funny bone.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I think comedy on network TV is pretty much dead, and this is just more proof. The broadcast networks are too scared (and rightfully so) of the FCC or offending interest groups, whereas cable (particularly Comedy Central - The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Mind of Mencia, South Park), etc) can push boundaries, get a little political, challenge the status quo - and get those precious 18-49yo males. Most comedy I've seen on broadcast TV is so lame, uninspired, and melodramatic that it makes me sick. (And those about to cite Family Guy: I love it too, but I think the only reason Fox keeps it is for the subsequent DVD sales.)

I guess SNL couldn't go on forever.

5. TSFC

TSFC Banned

It'll be weird to see an empty slot on Saturday nights on NBC...but that's what it's coming to people.

Had a stellar run, time to put a bullet to it.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always felt there were only two great casts:

The original first few years with Chevy Chase, Belushi, Jane Curtin, etc. and the early 90s cast with farley, spade, meyers, etc.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My sentiments exactly

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I still watch SNL, and it improved quite a bit last season. I actually laughed regularly, at least a few times an episode, which was a rare occurence the last couple of years. These cuts were appropriate I think. Chris Parnell was one of the more inconsistent cast members, and has had a long tenure. Horotio Sanz was funniest when he had Jimmy Fallon to riff off of, and has been on the show for about 10 years now, it was just naturally his time to go. Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch weren't fired, they left the show to do 30 Rock, which may turn out to have been a bad decision. I will miss Fey, who was one of the better Weekend Update anchors in the show's history, but it was her choice and everyone knew she wouldn't be back. The only one that really sucks is Finesse Mitchell. They should have fired Kenan Thompson instead, who is not funny in anything ever, or Will Forte, whose George W Bush is awful.

10. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Mad TV has always been funnier.

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

None of the female cast members on SNL right now are funny.

The show died when Ferrell left.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Never before in the history of mankind have so many created laughs for so few.

The show has sucked for many years, arguably decades. It has a bright spot every now and then, but no one seems to notice these tend to correspond with the presidential election cycle. Once the "mock the new presidential candidates" material has been milked dry, the show goes back into hibernation for 3 years.

I have to wonder if shows like Studio 60 and 30 Rock are sending a signal to Lorne Michaels. Here NBC has two shows brutally mocking SNL's current state. Note this is not CBS or ABC - this is SNL's parent network tearing apart one of its oldest institutions. May as well rent out a neon sign in Time's Square that says "SNL Sucks".

13. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    QFT!!!

14. KidDynamite

To me this is like saying that the Beatles and Led Zeppelin were the only good rock bands ever. It's taking the two best of something and dismissing everything else out of hand because they don't measure up. I don't think that's really fair.

Besides, we tend to view both of those casts through rose-tinted glasses, especially the first cast. People who watched the show at the time get caught up in notalgia, which is based more on the cultural impact of the show than on its own consistency. Those who are younger are for the most part only familiar with it through clips, in which we are subjected to the best moments over and over again and the crap is weeded out. There's a reason it is rare to see full episodes of the early show, NBC and SNL know they have an image to uphold of that era, and when you get to see full episodes it doesn't stand up to the way people remember it. Don't get me wrong, the show was culturally important at the time, and it certainly had plenty of funny moments, but it is one of the most inconsistent periods in the show's entire history.

This is less so with the early 90's cast, which I personally think was the best in the show's history, but it still exists to an extent. SNL is rightfully not as shy about rebroadcasting full episodes from this era, but we do still tend to remember the funniest moments, which happened at most once or twice an episode. That era also relied too heavily on intentionally cheesy sitcom knockoffs and overuse of recurring characters.

As good as those two casts were, I think people give them too much credit while dismissing other casts out of hand that had a lot of good qualities.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Give me Wayne and Garth over Fallon blowing a take by laughing anyday.

90's were great. You had Dana Carvey doing a great Bush Sr. parody, Phil Hartman doing a great Clinton, great commercial parodies (Crystal Gravy), Wayne's World (Excellent), Church Lady (Isn't that special?), and more.

70s were great with The Conheads, Samurai, Landshark, Chevy's Gerald Ford, The Bassomatic, and more.

I haven't watched an episode in a long time. Only thing these days that ever saves a episode is the guest. Walken was good. Don't have a great guest like him and it just bombs.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

TELL THE TRUTH!

Any chance the classic Chase/Pryor Word Association skit would be put on the air today?

17. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

SNL hasn't been the same since Phil Hartman left us. :( 

18. KidDynamite

See, but you're doing exactly what I said, cherry picking the best sketches in the shows history and applying them collectively versus the current show. No show from the early 90's or from the 70's contained all of the elements you're citing. Also, Jimmy Fallon hasn't been on the show for a few seasons now. And how can you know the show bombs if you admit you haven't watched it in a long time? This is one of the things that bugs me about SNL haters...none of them watch the show and yet they make sweeping judgements about its quality. Nothing personal intended, so please don't get offended. We're just talkin'. :) 

Probably not. One thing the show unquestionably did best during its 70's period was push boundaries. Not really applicable as to the humor or not of the show though. That sketch wouldn't have aired in the early 90's either, and most people agree that was one of the series' highlight eras.

The Colonel Angus sketch from a couple of years ago does come dangerously close though.

19. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I definitely hear you KD, and I agree. Not every single skit from the classic and 90s episodes were funny. But I've seen my fair share of classic eps and I find myself laughing more often than not. On the other hand, I can't stomach any of the new episodes. They don't make me laugh at all and at times I find myself feeling sorry for the actors.

20. KidDynamite

It's cool El, at least you gave it a chance. One thing I've found as I've gotten older is that humor is definitely subjective. It's as much in the eye of the beholder as beauty.

I don't want it to seem that I always think the current show is funny, because it's not. Prior to last season it had been almost uniformly awful for two years. But I do think people give the show an undeserved bad rap, and when it does start to improve there is still a carryover where lots of people dismiss it for a while. SNL is nothing if not cyclical. It's a rollercoaster ride of quality, and if you view the show historically it is due for a renaissance cycle in the near future. I see signs of that when I watch the show, and I like being in on the ground floor of it, you know?

No hard feelings everybody. Allright, I need to chill out of this thread for a while and get some work done.