If there IS a reboot...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DarthCrusher, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...how should it be done? What characters should be in it? What universes should it borrow heavily from? Should it borrow heavily from other universes?

I'm up for an entirely CGI film, keeping some core characters (Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, maybe Soundwave), and creating a new Transformers universe that doesn't borrow a lot of stuff from past incarnations. For examples, the VAs for the characters I just mentioned would be people who have never played those characters before, and if a character used a specific name, they wouldn't be expected to act a certain way.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? Another reboot thread? You guys should start your own forum.

3. DarthCrusher

News Credits:
    Did I miss a bunch of these? I know there's multiple "Will there be a reboot?" threads, but I've not seen any "What should be in the eventual reboot?" threads recently.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I always feel like things don't really start to get interesting till they get to Cybertron.

But I think they might have a hard time persuading mass audiences to go see that movie.

Here's one suggestion:

Begin with a prologue on a Decepticon-controlled Cybertron. Maybe a good 5 - 10 minutes of just pure robot interaction to really get the audience to accept them as characters.

Whispered stories tell of the legendary Optimus Prime, the one true hope of Cybertron. On his fabled last mission, he led a crew of the Autobots' finest warriors to a distant star.

Then the whole set up of the movie is basically Bumblebee and Ratchet arriving on earth in search of Optimus Prime. Trying to understand earth culture. So even when it's set on earth, it would be earth as interpreted/misinterpreted by the transformers. Earth through alien eyes.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

That´s..more or less what hapaned in G1..

Do we really need to have another reash of G1?

6. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hrmm. Well, Probably start of with more than just 5 Autobots, maybe around the 6-7 mark.

Any subsequent new characters be introduced properly on screen rather than just appearing and Prime saying 'oh yeah, n00bz showed up'.

Beginning the first film with a clear view of the backstory, as mentioned above, a significant battle on Cybertron between the two forces.

Keep the human element but tone down the amount of it. Keep core military characters, civilians to a minimum (Maggie, Glen, Parents, Leo etc all unnecessary).

design wise - a mix of current LA designs but with a wee bit less 'mess' to them.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    it's just a suggestion.

I think it's pretty much a given that any reboot will probably involve transformers arriving on earth. Optimus and Bumblebee are also more or less guaranteed. How would you do it different?

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Loose the toilet humor and the forced awkward teenage romance. We came to see the giant robots. Remember them?

More time for the robots. Once the title characters have been introduced, cut back on the focus on the humans. It isn't about them.

Better mech designs, are a must. I don't care what kind of tech you have, fewer moving parts is always going to be stronger and more reliable. Not to mention how visually busy the current designs are. Cramming as many angles and moving parts per square inch as you can is not good design.

Lose Bumblebee. Seriously. He's been dragging the franchise down, since 1984. If you absolutely have to have a "humans relate to this character, because we said so" character, how about Cliffjumper? He was always way more fun. Whoever it is, should be able to talk, just like all of the other bots. This is not the movie for R2 D2 or Snake Eyes.

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Honestly I never gave it much of a thought to be honest. I´d defintly try to avoid the same origins of the Bots and Cons being sleeping on the Ark.

10. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    Have you ever realised that these are two of the most popular characters from their franchises?

Silence speaks volumes in certain characters.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Forcing it on a crappy character doesn't make the character suck any less. R2 is popular because he's the perfect foil for 3PO. Snake Eyes is a kick ass martial arts commando.

Bumblebee is the annoying yellow guy.

12. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

if theres a reboot, itll be 10+ years from now

13. DarthCrusher

News Credits:
    Before it erupts fully, I'd like to point out that I didn't start this thread as a "Yet Another What Michael Bay Did Wrong Thread", as it will inevitably become (these points are fine, but only if they actually support the constructive argument you're forming). This thread is for serious, intellectual discussion about what could be done in a future film.

As much as I'd love to see Bumblebee gone at this point, it's not going to happen. He's far too ingrained in the public image of Transformers. After all, what do casual people who don't watch Transformers regularly think of when they think Transformers?

1. Optimus Prime! He was a pretty cool guy. He turned into a truck, and doesn't afraid of anything.

2. Bumblebee! He was in the cartoon, and was kind-of a pussy. He's a badass in the movies!

(Followed by the names Megatron and Starscream, the fact that Megatron used to turn into a gun, the fact that there was a tape deck in there somewhere, and that there were dinosaur robots for some reason.)

And as a side-note, really? Since 1984, when he barely made any impact at all aside from being the yellow bug who was just kind-of there and hung out with Spike? If anything, he's been dragging the franchise down since he got such an inordinate amount of screen-time in movie two.

He's a staple character now, who'll probably be in every Transformers-related property for the next ten years, and there's nothing we can do about it.

14. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    As mentioned, only 5-6 'robots' are remembered by the general public.

Optimus Prime - leader of the good guys, was a truck.

Megatron - robot who turned into a gun and sounded like to smoked too many cigarettes.

"that cassette guy"

Bumblebee

Starscream/"the jet dude that was a pussy"

"those really cool dinosaur bots"

No one else really made a massive impact, that people remember, perhaps Jazz, slightly. But Bumblebee is the most recognisable/memorable Autobot after Prime to the public. After Bumblebee we had Cheetor and Hot Shot, now we're simply back to Bumblebee again. And i'd take Bumblebee over Hot Shot anyday.

15. DarthCrusher

News Credits:
    And I'd take Cheetor over Bumblebee anyday.

16. Yurre

Yurre I want space nachos XD

I'd like to see a straight-to-dvd TFP movie first but

if a reboot

Maybe a live-action version of G1 with 70's - 80s model vehicles and humans with 70's - 80's hair cuts and clothes

EDIT: when I refer to G1 I mean the tv-series, not the 1986 movie...

17. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

But the 80's TF was based on an advanced future

18. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    My dream TF film(as in I have to dream it because it will never be made) is an epic space opera with no humans in it. As long as I'm dreaming make it a trilogy. And use G1 inspired character models, or at least something with less visual diarrhea than the bay designs.

and +1000 to the straight-to-DVD TFP movie suggestion.

19. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Seven Autobots vs. the small army of Decepticons that has ravaged the Earth in the year 2084, culminating in a climactic energy-melee showdown between Optimus and Megatron in the rain-drenched ruins of Manhattan Island. The Decepticons are here to suck the planet dry, resources and all, into a dead husk - no convenient long-buried Cybertronian MacGuffins anywhere near the Sol star system - and any showcasing of military might will end in disaster for the humans...they're fighting an enemy with nine-million-years-plus of combat experience; in the end the fate of the Earth hinges on the robots and the robots alone.

Live action/CGI adapting Figueroa's Ongoing designs and maybe a few from TF: Prime (but maybe with WFC-styled heads) and borrowing elements of the first four issues of Marvel's run, Prime Directive (Dreamwave), Infiltration, and All Hail Megatron. Screen time 70/30 robots, with the main teenage protagonist (or two) prominent throughout (and maybe one older character). Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream may remain for their marketing value, but the rosters get changed up from there.

20. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    To be honest, if I had the money, I would hire ILM to animate some of my favorite G1 episodes with Bayformers. As for actors and actresses, I'm totally clueless.