If the Transformers Club was smart....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Primus, May 26, 2006.

1. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    They would do something similar to what Starwars.com did with their Hyperspace. Have some kind of webcasts from the sets of the new movie for members only.

Hell, any kind of early preview type thing with the movie would get people to flock to the club site.

And really, isn't that what a club is supposed to be?

Although, knowing the people involved in the club they probably already tried to get permission for this.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I guess it would depend on a few things. How much control Hasbro has over the movie crew and how secretive the movie crew want to be with the film.

3. Primus

News Credits:
    Hell, even something as simple as those single images they did from set was cool.

I am positive that if Hasbro wanted they could make it happen. I just dont think Hasbro would want to put that much effort into the club.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think Hasbro has put a very good amount of effort into the club and con. They given them exclusive previews for the site and newsletter, secured the current line toys for exclusives (something never done for the con before), secured the current comic license holder to help produce the club comic and given them the oppurtunity to produce unreleased figures (spacewarp). If anything I'd say Hasbro has been pretty helpful to those guys.

5. Primus

News Credits:
    Oh, I agree that they have. I just don't think they will put someone on set even if it's just to blog the days events.

They have done a lot as far as the toys go, but really, they haven't done much out side of that. Aside from the comic.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not here bashing any group. I'm just saying that with the movie about a year away and already filming, the club could do a lot to increase their membership. They would just need major support from Hasbro along those lines.

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I can see where your coming from there. And it's something I'd like to see them do. If anything, it would likely end up in the newsletter.

7. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Not sure how well that would work, guys. I mean, the club tried to keep those pics of the TF Classics line "exclusive" too and we see how far that went....

8. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    There's a difference between being "smart" enough to have such an idea and having the funds and cooperation to make such an idea reality.

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather they didn't. I have successfully avoided nearly everything short of hearing "The movie is coming"....no spoilers, no visits to the movie site...heck I've never even been to the movie section of THIS site. I'd rather see the trailer when it debuts...and then see the movie fresh when it finally hits theaters :)  Until then I wont get my hopes too high, thinking "It'll be the greatest thing since Go Nagai sketched a couple robots..." or too low thinking "We've picked apart the movie and it's going to blow more chunks than the big bang itself". I'll read the inevitable comics / novel adaptations of the movie...but not until AFTER I see it on the screen (Learned my lesson with Jurassic Park...never read the book first, they can never fit that much into the actual movie...)

10. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

1 question

Wouldn't a live web cast actually RAISE costs for the club?

I mean people get vexed over the prices the way they are.A live webcast can't be cheap & to pay for it*unless FP uses his own money* he'd have to raise club costs

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The main issue I see with this idea is that if I'm not mistaken Starwars.com is run directly by Lucasfilm. With the Transformers club you have one company in Dreamworks making the movie, another separate company in Hasbro providing the franchise, and a third separate (and MUCH smaller) company in Fun Publications doing the club. It seems like a lot more effort to jump through the hoops of three companies with Transformers versus the Star Wars fan club situation where one company does it all.

Just a thought.

12. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Its a cool idea a Primus, I wish it would happen too. Hopefully if thats not done the club does something related to the movie. It's too big of an event not to do something.

I'm still hoping for my "transformer fan spends a day on the set and becomes an extra in the movie" contest. Maybe the club can convince dreamworks/hasbromake to fund it for publicity.

13. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Something like that might actually get me to spend the money to join. Although before they do that they should probably fix their site so that people can't just jump into the members area if they're using Firefox. :wink: 

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    It's one of the only things that would get me to join.